Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because peoples lives are more important than the deficit. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1992)
    I agree you should be free to give to charity if you feel this way. I do not agree that simply because you feel this way you should have the right through government force to make other people give x amount to charity because you say so and you know best. There are so many things wrong with that idea.

Also, you may have the misfortune of being born disabled, or maybe you just aren't particularly good at anything (just average) and someone else is born with an amazing natural musical talent; inequality is an inherent part of nature, so we should strive to equalise oppurtunities at the start of people's lives, but other than that you should really question how and who should be given the immense power of undertaking the impossible task of making things "equal".
    the government has the right to do what they want with the money, as we vote in the party which we believe most represents our views.

And everyone has the power to make things equal, in some small way or another, through general acts of kindness. the government is just able to make a greater and more noticable difference.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because the majority of countries we give aid to are classed as being Third World and have very poor healthcare, disease, poverty, no homes, no water etc etec, whereas we're an LEDC who can cope reasonably well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalnitrate)
    Maybe it's because the majority of countries we give aid to are classed as being Third World and have very poor healthcare, disease, poverty, no homes, no water etc etec, whereas we're an LEDC who can cope reasonably well?
    We're not an LEDC. We are in the G7!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan656)
    We're not an LEDC. We are in the G7!
    Well, maybe I got that wrong, but we're still a lot more developed than the countries we give aid to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalnitrate)
    Well, maybe I got that wrong, but we're still a lot more developed than the countries we give aid to.
    Your point was right, just we are not LEDC.

LEDC = Lesser Economically Developed Country
    G7 = 7 Biggest (and therefore most developed) economies in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Trying the old guilt-trip method won't work I'm afraid.

A large amount of the time, the money is swallowed up by corrupt politicians etc. If I could see/understand where the money was going and why I wouldn't care, but I don't.

How many billions of pounds have the African countries been give? Yet so much of that seemingly disappears.

I just fail to see given the mess we're in, why we have to bail out others. Let them fend for themselves.
    HAHA. You really are stupid - just like your name suggests! You think we have corrupt politicians here?! You haven't seen nothing kid, try looking at Italian politics, my gosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    HAHA. You really are stupid - just like your name suggests! You think we have corrupt politicians here?! You haven't seen nothing kid, try looking at Italian politics, my gosh.
    Er, read my post, engage your brain and then try again at working out what my post meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Er, read my post, engage your brain and then try again at working out what my post meant.
    Like I said, tu es stupido. If you were not such a cretin you wouldn't have to ask why we contribute to overseas aid. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, tu es stupido. If you were not such a cretin you wouldn't have to ask why we contribute to overseas aid. Oh dear.
    I hope you looks don't match your stupidity. You'll be one ugly mofo if they do.

ReputationRep:
    I like berlusconi he's funny and racist.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Aj12;27915108]
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    It's actually Thatcher's fault that we're in debt. Labour was only continuing her stupid unsustainable policies.

I like how its her fault Labour continued her policies......:rolleyes:
    I'm really annoyed with Labour too, but she created a culture of greed. It's also very difficult to go back from what she did- remember the social upheaval her actions created in the first place, reversing them could also be quite difficult at first.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.