Turn on thread page Beta

Meal for less than £1 watch

ReputationRep:
    Tesco bread rolls are 32p each and are mega awesome if you wack them in the oven for about 5 minutes and serve with a tin of soup. Generally anything canned is so cheap. Not really a "main meal" but it does me for lunch alright

ReputationRep:
    well, I got a load of nice pork steaks from the market for 50p a portion, roasted them off with a drizzle of honey and some 5spice. Serve on noodles with whatever veg you want (i'm partial to a bit of onion, pepper and bok choi, and some carrot too.)

for two people:

£1 - pork
    5p - honey and spices
    10p - onion
    20p - bok choi
    20p - pepper
    10p - carrot
    20p - noodles

£1.85 or 93p per person. sorted.

ReputationRep:
    I buy the cheapo brand of everything, and find that my weekly shop is usually under a tenner, and I eat proper meals and everything! It is all about forward planning. Say I buy a frozen pizza, I will cut it in half while frozen and then cook just half, rather than do a whole one for the sake of it. That costs about 50p, and then with that perhaps a baked potato for 25p, and voila! The pizza already has cheese which you can use with the potato, and together it is a filling meal. Also, when cooking anything see if you can freeze it or cook the other half another day. I buy a bag of beansprouts for 40p, stir fry frozen veg in with it- 1 portion is about 30p, and then a cheap sauce. The next day I will use the other half/third and so on. Look out for freezer stuff that keeps, you can buy mushrooms, veg, runnerbeans etc; and they beef out a meal nice and cheaply! In terms of protein, check the sale aisles! And if you eat cheap most of the time, buy some nice meat or something as a treat occassionally.

ReputationRep:
    Couscous my friend.

(Original post by hobnob)
    Risotto is pretty cheap to make, because you'll be able to get more than one portion out of a piece of parmesan cheese and a packet of risotto rice.
    You make risotto 7 days straight and I guarantee you a very distinguished ******* claw.

ReputationRep:
    Stews and curries are your friend - you can pick up a jar of curry paste, along with veggies, some chopped tomatoes and other bits fairly cheaply. I used all the odds and ends I had left in the vegetable draw today and I've got enough for about 2 more portions.

You can buy bags of root veggies (potato, onion, parsnip and maybe a turnip) in Tesco, and make a massive stew out of those. If you're careful, you can make it last for ages. Same with soups!

ReputationRep:
    Dried spices! All you need is tomatos, onions, and a bit of garlic in a frying pan. Then add things like cumin, ground corriander, hell add whatever you want and experiment! A bit of sausage / bacon is good too. Just use whatever you can find really! Very cheap and very tasty
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    You make risotto 7 days straight and I guarantee you a very distinguished ******* claw.
    Did I say anything about making it for seven days straight?:p:

ReputationRep:
    It may seem like a good idea to mix that pasta sauce with rice; a cheap filling meal you may think, but trust me, it is not a good idea. At all. There's a reason it's pasta sauce not carbohydrate sauce. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Instant chicken soup - 4 packets/portions for 45p from Home Bargains.

Root vegetables, you can buy a pack for £1 anywhere which will have your swede, carrots, parsnips and an onion.

Make the instant soup, boil half of the veg (chopped up) in it.

You've got yourself a hearty pseudo-vegetable broth for less than 70p, and that's including the buttery toast you have with it. Lots of veggie goodness cause you don't throw away the boiling water (it's part of the soup) - no vitamins lost.

(And you don't have to eat the same meal 4 days in a row to achieve this)

ReputationRep:
    Eight beef burgers: 74p, therefore around 9-10p each; six burger buns: 64p, therefore 10-11p each; sliced processed cheese £1 for 10 slices, therefore 10p each. Personally I can have one as a dinner and be full, two if I had a small lunch. One meal for 30-60p! And frozen beef burgers so they keep ages. Nice.

(Original post by hobnob)
    Did I say anything about making it for seven days straight?:p:
    Eh...

ReputationRep:
    mcdonalds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    Usually it's best to try and cook big meals and freeze the excess for later. It works out far cheaper and is usually quicker in the long run. For instance, I can make a big pot of curry which works out easily less than 1.50 a meal, if not even less.
    Curry involves frying, and making large portions of something yum and then freezing it is the most economical way to cook, and helpful when you come home drunk and all you have to do is microwave it

I know I get the munchies when recovering from drunkeness!

ReputationRep:
    Invest in a toastie maker :ninja: then all you need to buy is loaves of bread, some cheap tines of b eans, onions are cheap... tuna.. whatever else.. I dunno how much each item is but if a loaf of bread is, say, £1 and there's about 25 slices, that's about. 4p per slice (probably not cos I'm **** at maths).. a cheap tin of beans will be about 25p therefore that / 4 = about 6p ... yeah... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    *subscribes*

ReputationRep:
    Cooking in bulk is the best way to do cheap food. Once cooked put it as portion sized in the freezer.

Stews, macaroni cheese etc are all good done that way. I cant remember the costs off hand but I think I get macaroni cheese down to around 1.50 a portion and I add lots of cheese and bacon to it (yummy)

Stews are good as if you've got long enough to cook it (4 hours or more is good) you can use the cheaper cuts of meat.

Annother good option to look at is roast dinners. You can roast a joint and have a nice roast dinner. the left over meat can then be used in sandwiches and other meals.

Eating for £1 a meal is probably a bit tight but you should be able to do quite well at £2 a meal or aiming for £5 a day.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beats this:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/grocerie...=1285886687701

(Used to be 45p as well, now its 55p but you get tons of calories

ReputationRep:
    Omelettes! Whack in 3 eggs and voila! Might be boring just plain but we're being cheap here : P

I agree with investing in a toastie maker too, you can make loads out of it and they're delicious~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    You can buy bags of root veggies (potato, onion, parsnip and maybe a turnip) in Tesco, and make a massive stew out of those. If you're careful, you can make it last for ages.

Stews are massively underrated in many respects!

I personally find tuna sandwiches a real bargain for what it is, just add some mayonaise for flavour.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.