Turn on thread page Beta

"Briefly explain why you are applying to hmv. How does this fit with your career aspirations?"

It doesn't. I like music but I'm not aspiring to be a musician or a manager. Without flat out lying, how should I go about answering this?

ReputationRep:
    HMV is is in the retail sector which many graduates go into. I don't know if you want to work for Tesco/Sainsburys/Arcadia etc in a graduate scheme after uni but it could be used in the application that you want to reach the top of the retail sector. I wouldn't mention any of those that I did but retail does attract many graduates (not working on the shop floor, as in head office roles).

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview at HMV last week, and they said one of the main reasons they invited me in is cos I write a popular culture blog. You need to show you are engaged in the 'scene' your most interested in (music, film, tv, games, gadgets) and you need to prove to them that you aren't just bluffing because they asked me for the URL cos one of the managers is a blogger too.

But yeah, you can tell a porky and say you are interested in career progression and ask about how their promotions system works, or just say

"I'm really interested in ___ and regularly attend gigs/go to the cinema/buy dvds/watch tv..." then back it up...

Oh, and in terms of career aspirations...think of what you DO want to do in the future and try and tie it in if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    "Briefly explain why you are applying to hmv. How does this fit with your career aspirations?"

It doesn't. I like music but I'm not aspiring to be a musician or a manager. Without flat out lying, how should I go about answering this?
    I always love these questions on part time staff or XMAS temp applications. As generally you don't want the job long term, its simply to earn money and if you say that, then its not exactly a career aspiration.

For example if I was applying to HMV i'd have to out right lie. As I'm on a gap year after finishing uni, currently got a school placement, and wanting a part time job. So if I was answering that question I'd say something like;

I am applying for this job because I enjoy working in the retail sector and this job is based in an area of interest/and this job is based in an area which I am passionate about. My long term career goal is to become a manager/My ideal job is in the retail management sector, and I believe that this job would give me the opportunity to gain vital experience in helping support my career aspirations.

I guess you might need more than that, perhaps what your interests are, and maybe how your experience links in with the job (unless there are other questions relating to this). But I'd probably write something like the above, but with a bit more beef because it at least shows you like the area the job is based in, and your aspirations to become a manager.

And even if you don't want to stay in retail (like me - unless they give me a good reason to, eg. a promotion to supervisor or management level), then you don't need to tell them that. You just say that you want this job because it fits in with this pretend career aspiration, and then you leave when you are ready to pursue your real career aspiration.

ReputationRep:
    Most employers are fully aware that most of the students applying for christmas temp jobs aren't interested in them in the long run - it is more important that you would do the job well and that you will be good at it. For HMV make sure they know that you are passionate about music/film/games and that it is a really important part of your life. I know that my old boss hired me knowing that I didn't aspire to a retail career (certainly not at that stage in my life) and that the majority of those applying for jobs didn't either but the main thing was that they would be good at the time. Just be honest - you would really like the job because it would let you work with something that you love but you don't see yourself doing it for your entire life.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.