Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this new word that people use a bit silly when the old words boyfriend or girlfriend sufficed. I hear it all the time it sounds a bit strange to me as a young straight person when someone asks if you have a 'partner'.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a new word is it. Maybe they ask if you have a 'partner' because they don'y know you're straight? Maybe they think you might be married and it's easier than saying "Do you have a girlfriend or fiancee or wife?".

ReputationRep:
    Partner feels more serious to me, boyfriend/girlfriend is a bit teeny bopper.

ReputationRep:
    I usually take 'my partner' to be the gay term

ReputationRep:
    Partner = other half.

Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Seeing someone/wife/husband/bit on the side can all get a bit messy if you don't know someone. its easier imo.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't bother me. it's just a word.

ReputationRep:
    I think when I hear people say "my partner" I assume they're gay. But I've never had anyone ask me if I have a "partner", they usually ask "are you with someone at the moment"? Or "are you seeing anyone?". Maybe it gets more complicated if you don't know the person...

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly 'partner' is what you call someone you live with, as opposed to someone you're just going out with. Don't think anyone really cares though to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to use partner in formal settings, e.g. in mentioning it to an employer or a utilities company for admin purposes.

Overall, I refer to my girlfriend as my partner because I feel that 'girlfriend' is a little too immature and fails to appreciate the duration of the relationship and the fact that we live together. On the otherhand, I am not yet engaged to her and thus I can't yet call her my fiance.

tl;dr, it's more grown up than girlfriend, but does have 'gay' connotations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's not really a new word is it. Maybe they ask if you have a 'partner' because they don'y know you're straight? Maybe they think you might be married and it's easier than saying "Do you have a girlfriend or fiancee or wife?".
    (Original post by Sequin)
    Partner = other half.

Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Seeing someone/wife/husband/bit on the side can all get a bit messy if you don't know someone. its easier imo.
    I agree with these :yep:. The word 'partner' to me just seems to be an umbrella term for all these different things. Also, I noticed that some older people (gay or straight) do prefer to call their boyfriend/girlfriend their partner, to seem a bit more mature sounding maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose it doesn't really matter and it does sound like a more serious relationship when people say 'partner'. But I hear it all the time amongst people and I think in the past they would just say girlfriend boyfriend. It still sounds really lame to me when people say it.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from people using "partner" with reference to a gay partnership, i think that a lot of older people (generally in their 40s/50s) who are not married but have a girlfriend/boyfriend tend to use the term "partner" as it seems more mature, whereas the probably feel that "boyfriend/girlfiriend" is more appropriately used by younger adults (20s/30s) as it sounds a bit childish or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    If they ask it's probably because they don't want to assume your sexuality.

Other than that I'd probably only use it for like official terms (government etc) or if I was older like middle aged, since boyfriend would seem weird.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent I think it is to do with political correctness. Only around 1% of people are gay and we use a word just to try and make them feel more comfortable about what is essentially an abnormal and unatural thing. Not that I'm homophobic but a lot of them would prob like the opportunity to say ' no I'm gay'. It's lie calling chrisas Xmas or seasons greetings.

ReputationRep:
    I usually think of "Partner" being someone that you're basically married to, even if you haven't actually got an official piece of paper that says you are.

ReputationRep:
    If you're gay, it can help you hide it for a bit longer. There's no specified gender in 'partner'. There is in 'boy/girlfriend'.

Just sayin'

This video explains all

ReputationRep:
    I do sometimes think it sounds silly as well, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Don't like saying partner.. sounds too formal.

ReputationRep:
    When somebody says partner I either assume they're gay and have a same-sex "partner" or I think of an older person who has a boyfriend/girlfriend and are unmarried, but feel too important/snobby/mature to use the term boyfriend or girlfriend.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I usually think of "Partner" being someone that you're basically married to, even if you haven't actually got an official piece of paper that says you are.
    yeh that's what I think too

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.