Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this new word that people use a bit silly when the old words boyfriend or girlfriend sufficed. I hear it all the time it sounds a bit strange to me as a young straight person when someone asks if you have a 'partner'.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a new word is it. Maybe they ask if you have a 'partner' because they don'y know you're straight? Maybe they think you might be married and it's easier than saying "Do you have a girlfriend or fiancee or wife?".

ReputationRep:
    Partner feels more serious to me, boyfriend/girlfriend is a bit teeny bopper.

ReputationRep:
    I usually take 'my partner' to be the gay term

ReputationRep:
    Partner = other half.

Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Seeing someone/wife/husband/bit on the side can all get a bit messy if you don't know someone. its easier imo.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't bother me. it's just a word.

ReputationRep:
    I think when I hear people say "my partner" I assume they're gay. But I've never had anyone ask me if I have a "partner", they usually ask "are you with someone at the moment"? Or "are you seeing anyone?". Maybe it gets more complicated if you don't know the person...

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly 'partner' is what you call someone you live with, as opposed to someone you're just going out with. Don't think anyone really cares though to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to use partner in formal settings, e.g. in mentioning it to an employer or a utilities company for admin purposes.

Overall, I refer to my girlfriend as my partner because I feel that 'girlfriend' is a little too immature and fails to appreciate the duration of the relationship and the fact that we live together. On the otherhand, I am not yet engaged to her and thus I can't yet call her my fiance.

tl;dr, it's more grown up than girlfriend, but does have 'gay' connotations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's not really a new word is it. Maybe they ask if you have a 'partner' because they don'y know you're straight? Maybe they think you might be married and it's easier than saying "Do you have a girlfriend or fiancee or wife?".
    (Original post by Sequin)
    Partner = other half.

Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Seeing someone/wife/husband/bit on the side can all get a bit messy if you don't know someone. its easier imo.
    I agree with these :yep:. The word 'partner' to me just seems to be an umbrella term for all these different things. Also, I noticed that some older people (gay or straight) do prefer to call their boyfriend/girlfriend their partner, to seem a bit more mature sounding maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose it doesn't really matter and it does sound like a more serious relationship when people say 'partner'. But I hear it all the time amongst people and I think in the past they would just say girlfriend boyfriend. It still sounds really lame to me when people say it.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from people using "partner" with reference to a gay partnership, i think that a lot of older people (generally in their 40s/50s) who are not married but have a girlfriend/boyfriend tend to use the term "partner" as it seems more mature, whereas the probably feel that "boyfriend/girlfiriend" is more appropriately used by younger adults (20s/30s) as it sounds a bit childish or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    If they ask it's probably because they don't want to assume your sexuality.

Other than that I'd probably only use it for like official terms (government etc) or if I was older like middle aged, since boyfriend would seem weird.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent I think it is to do with political correctness. Only around 1% of people are gay and we use a word just to try and make them feel more comfortable about what is essentially an abnormal and unatural thing. Not that I'm homophobic but a lot of them would prob like the opportunity to say ' no I'm gay'. It's lie calling chrisas Xmas or seasons greetings.

ReputationRep:
    I usually think of "Partner" being someone that you're basically married to, even if you haven't actually got an official piece of paper that says you are.

ReputationRep:
    If you're gay, it can help you hide it for a bit longer. There's no specified gender in 'partner'. There is in 'boy/girlfriend'.

Just sayin'

This video explains all

ReputationRep:
    I do sometimes think it sounds silly as well, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Don't like saying partner.. sounds too formal.

ReputationRep:
    When somebody says partner I either assume they're gay and have a same-sex "partner" or I think of an older person who has a boyfriend/girlfriend and are unmarried, but feel too important/snobby/mature to use the term boyfriend or girlfriend.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I usually think of "Partner" being someone that you're basically married to, even if you haven't actually got an official piece of paper that says you are.
    yeh that's what I think too

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.