Turn on thread page Beta

It's harder to make male friends at uni! (Guy with lots of female friends needs help) watch

yup like the title says. One week has passed at uni and I find myself talking to girls more than I do to guys. It's like in class girls come up to all smiley faced introducing themselves, etc. That's fine but I mean I need guy friends lol.

Today, my close female friend (let's call her X), (the girl who I spend most of my time with) introduced me to 5 other girls, 2 also in their freshmen, others are in their second year, and 2 guys who are in their second and third year. I was hesitant at first but then went ahead and met them and they turned out to be a nice bunch, funny and friendly...(there was this really pretty girl who I instantly fell in love with lol, she's a freshman too and we talked about our first week, she's really pretty and nice, has a nice laughter and all and I think I'm madly in love...lol ok I'm going waaaaaaay going out of the subject!:p: )

Anyway, point is, the 2 guys were cool but I need to freshman guys. Those 2 guys even gave me a lift to my dorm. But I wanna make friends with guys who are like in freshmen. I don't know why but I feel that it's much easier to gain girls as friends than guys. This has puzzled me throughout high school, I was somewhat popular and had not a relativey large amount but a few decent good guys friends, and ofc lots of girls as my friends.

Anyhow, so this close female friend of mine (X) somehow knows this guy from the same country that we are from. She told him about me and he said he wouldn't mind if I added him on msn. So I talked to him (as awkward as it was), and turned out he was a really nice guy. We're in the same field but our courses are at different timings. I haven't met him yet and I feel it's gonna be so awkward. To make it worse, he's a soccer maniac, loves soccer so much, and this is gonna be a problem since I don't like soccer that much ( I FEEL like we're not gonna have THAT MUCH IN COMMON, shame though since he sounds like a nice guy and can be a great friend)

People from his class told me that he's a nice pleasant guy, quiet, and all (lol my characteristics as well). Tomorrow he agreed we meet somewhere in the campus, and I'm sure nervous. (LOL this sounds so wrrrrrong! :p: )

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but yeah that's my problem, I have a harder time making friends with guys, what to do? I thought I'd join a sport like basketball and like join clubs and societies, but maybe like next semester, wanna adjust to uni life first

So any tips/advices how I can make guy friends? and like avoid lots of girl-friends? (cuz u know what they say, if a guy spends a lot of his time with girls people would think he's gay) lol I sound so pathetic!
    I really want to make a close guy friend so like next year we can be roomates!

Sorry for the loooooooooooong post! I appreciate your time reading this pathetic thread, but I need a solution! I'm not that much of a sporty person and not used to having lots of guy friends)

ReputationRep:
    I am finding the exact same thing at college. I have talked to and had more conversations with girls and got on with them much better when working with them whereas the guys I have had to work with seem to not be able to say much at all which makes things really awkward. It happened at school and at my first college and I would not be surprised to become one of these guys with only female friends again! lol

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well my advice would be to stop getting so hung up on the gender of your friends. Don’t boycott girls who could make really good friends in the pursuit of male friends who you might not have as much in common with. Make friends based on personality, not gender. If it happens that the people you click with are mostly female, so be it. People shouldn’t judge your sexuality for it. I guess it might mean that you’ll meet their other female friends and perhaps someone special. But it seems like you already have. Go for it with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So any tips/advices how I can make guy friends? and like avoid lots of girl-friends? (cuz u know what they say, if a guy spends a lot of his time with girls people would think he's gay) lol I sound so pathetic!
    I've got the same issue generally in my life, and I'm pretty mystified as to what the problem is. :confused: Girls are so much nicer than guys.

In my third term last year, I shared a room with a guy I didn't know brilliantly, and it still went well. As for sharing a room for a year, I'm surprised you'd want/need to.

(Original post by Awoodrow2)
    I've got the same issue generally in my life, and I'm pretty mystified as to what the problem is. :confused: Girls are so much nicer than guys.

In my third term last year, I shared a room with a guy I didn't know brilliantly, and it still went well. As for sharing a room for a year, I'm surprised you'd want/need to.
    actually I'm not sharing room with anyone atm. I have a private room. But I want a roomate! I didn't take a sharing room because I didn't know any guys when I came to uni

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Most of my new friends at Uni are girls, probably because nearly all the people on my course are girls. People aren't going to think you're gay just because you hang around a lot of girls: gender really doesn't matter.

Don't worry about not having loads of things in common with other guys you meet either, I don't do sports and that doesn't stop me talking to others who do. I listen to a relatively unlistened to subgenre of music, and that gives me something to talk about with people who haven't even heard of it. If anything, show interest in your differences, it creates as many talking points than if you don't. Plus you tend to like people for their personalities, not their hobbies.

ReputationRep:
    yup like the title says. One week has passed at uni and I find myself talking to girls more than I do to guys. It's like in class girls come up to all smiley faced introducing themselves, etc. That's fine but I mean I need guy friends lol.

Today, my close female friend (let's call her X), (the girl who I spend most of my time with) introduced me to 5 other girls, 2 also in their freshmen, others are in their second year, and 2 guys who are in their second and third year. I was hesitant at first but then went ahead and met them and they turned out to be a nice bunch, funny and friendly...(there was this really pretty girl who I instantly fell in love with lol, she's a freshman too and we talked about our first week, she's really pretty and nice, has a nice laughter and all and I think I'm madly in love...lol ok I'm going waaaaaaay going out of the subject!:p: )

Anyway, point is, the 2 guys were cool but I need to freshman guys. Those 2 guys even gave me a lift to my dorm. But I wanna make friends with guys who are like in freshmen. I don't know why but I feel that it's much easier to gain girls as friends than guys. This has puzzled me throughout high school, I was somewhat popular and had not a relativey large amount but a few decent good guys friends, and ofc lots of girls as my friends.

Anyhow, so this close female friend of mine (X) somehow knows this guy from the same country that we are from. She told him about me and he said he wouldn't mind if I added him on msn. So I talked to him (as awkward as it was), and turned out he was a really nice guy. We're in the same field but our courses are at different timings. I haven't met him yet and I feel it's gonna be so awkward. To make it worse, he's a soccer maniac, loves soccer so much, and this is gonna be a problem since I don't like soccer that much ( I FEEL like we're not gonna have THAT MUCH IN COMMON, shame though since he sounds like a nice guy and can be a great friend)

People from his class told me that he's a nice pleasant guy, quiet, and all (lol my characteristics as well). Tomorrow he agreed we meet somewhere in the campus, and I'm sure nervous. (LOL this sounds so wrrrrrong! :p: )

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but yeah that's my problem, I have a harder time making friends with guys, what to do? I thought I'd join a sport like basketball and like join clubs and societies, but maybe like next semester, wanna adjust to uni life first

Sorry for the loooooooooooong post! I appreciate your time reading this pathetic thread, but I need a solution! I'm not that much of a sporty person and not used to having lots of guy friends)
    i agree with you, i only made one male friend at uni and he's a flatmate, the rest of my friends are female, i'm baffled on whether i'm lucky or not but i joined a society which i hope there are more guys there

(Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)
    Ok, well my advice would be to stop getting so hung up on the gender of your friends. Don’t boycott girls who could make really good friends in the pursuit of male friends who you might not have as much in common with. Make friends based on personality, not gender. If it happens that the people you click with are mostly female, so be it. People shouldn’t judge your sexuality for it. I guess it might mean that you’ll meet their other female friends and perhaps someone special. But it seems like you already have. Go for it with her.
    that's exactly what's happening! My friend (X) she's like introducing me to all her girl friends and I'm like "X enough! I don't wanna meet more girls!" :p:

and thanks for the advice That girl is really sweet and she's the first girl who I talk to with much interest, like I don't know, she's different then all the other girls

ReputationRep:
    you american?

freshER not man
    FOOTBALL not soccer
    HALLS not dorm

Thank you "guys"! :p: Thanks for all your help and advice, I owe you all big time, I'm forever thankful to u all

(Original post by lm_wfc)
    you american?
    yeah, the uni I go to is American as well

ReputationRep:
    actually I'm not sharing room with anyone atm. I have a private room. But I want a roomate! I didn't take a sharing room because I didn't know any guys when I came to uni
    Wow, you're a rare breed then! At my college, almost everyone has to share for a term. I wanted to share first, so as to make a friend more quickly, but most people really aren't keen on the idea, even if they enjoy it when they actually do it. Most British students seem completely shocked by the idea, whereas it's much more common to foreign students.

Wow, you're a rare breed then! At my college, almost everyone has to share for a term. I wanted to share first, so as to make a friend more quickly, but most people really aren't keen on the idea, even if they enjoy it when they actually do it. Most British students seem completely shocked by the idea, whereas it's much more common to foreign students.
    haha I see. How am I a rare breed? :p:
    Anyway, thanks for your help mate

ReputationRep:
    haha I see. How am I a rare breed? :p:
    Anyway, thanks for your help mate
    Well as I said, most people I've met seem to be against sharing rooms. You actively want to.

No problem.

Well as I said, most people I've met seem to be against sharing rooms. You actively want to.

No problem.
    haha yeah, I think it has both its advantages and disadvantages, with the former being more.

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah, I think it has both its advantages and disadvantages, with the former being more.
    Yeah, it's fine as long as the roommates don't actively clash. Last term was awesome, mainly because having a larger room meant everyone nearby was always hanging out in it.

ReputationRep:
    Mate your a player.
    You should be proud of that.

99% of men would kill to get the attribute you have of pulling girls.

ReputationRep:
    show me where these girls live please.

almost no girl approaches me, EVER. I'm not ugly or anything but no girl approaches me at all, for friendship or anything else.

it's so much easier to make friends with guys. especially as everywhere I go, there seems to be way more guys than girls.

ReputationRep:
    i tyhinkg youve beennm watching too many anemrican foilms. 2freshman"/?? who acatuylly says tghaft apart from dubv ameriocsans?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.