Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to solve the inequality:

|x - 1| +2x <= |x|

I have had practice at solving where there is only one modulus sign, I was told to try two cases (in this question, it would be using -x-1 and x-1 but I didn't even really understand that.

Now I have the modulus on both sides - no idea how to do this.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    There are three options:
    1. x-1 is negative and x is negative
    2. x-1 is negative and x is non-negative
    3. x-1 is non-negative and x is non-negative

You need to consider each case individually.

Also if anyone says "square both sides", ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both of you

(Original post by nuodai)
    There are three options:
    1. x-1 is negative and x is negative
    2. x-1 is negative and x is non-negative
    3. x-1 is non-negative and x is non-negative

You need to consider each case individually.

Also if anyone says "square both sides", ignore them.
    I will try this, in our lecture he did an example that had 2x-1 in the modulus, so there were the two cases - basically he solved the inequality without the modulus using (-2x-1) and (2x+1).

Basically what I mean is, when considering the cases should I just use -x-1 (for negative) and then the answer is where the whole left hand side is positive?

Sorry to sound a bit confusing, I don't really understand it that well.

And yes, I know squaring the sides is stupid
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by CJN)
    Thanks both of you

I will try this, in our lecture he did an example that had 2x-1 in the modulus, so there were the two cases - basically he solved the inequality without the modulus using (-2x-1) and (2x+1).

Basically what I mean is, when considering the cases should I just use -x-1 (for negative) and then the answer is where the whole left hand side is positive?

Sorry to sound a bit confusing, I don't really understand it that well.

And yes, I know squaring the sides is stupid
    What we have is three different equations to solve for three different ranges of x.

So for example in the range x \le 1 we must have |x-1| = -(x-1) = 1-x and |x| = -x (since the inside of the modulus brackets are both negative in this range). So, in the range x \le 1, your inequality becomes:
    1-x+2x \le -x

You do this with all three possible ranges. There are four possible outcomes:
    (a) There is no solution (e.g. if you end up with something like 0 &gt; 1)
    (b) There is a solution, but it's not in the given range (in which case it's not actually a solution)
    (c) There is a solution and it's in the given range (so it's a solution to the whole thing)
    (d) There are an infinite number of solutions (in which case the whole given range is a solution to the equation)

As a simpler example, consider |x| \ge x+3. There are two cases to consider, x \le 0 and x \ge 0. If x \le 0 then |x| = -x, and so we have -x \ge x + 3 \Rightarrow 2x \le -3 \Rightarrow x \le -\frac{3}{2}, which is fine since this is in the range x \le 0. If x \ge 0 then |x|=x, and so we have x \ge x+3. This simplifies to 0 \ge 3 which is always false, so there are no solutions in this range.

An example of where (d) occurs is the equation |x| \ge x. This is true for all x \ge 0, and false for all x &lt; 0.

ReputationRep:
    What we have is three different equations to solve for three different ranges of x.

So for example in the range x \le 1 we must have |x-1| = -(x-1) = 1-x and |x| = -x (since the inside of the modulus brackets are both negative in this range). So, in the range x \le 1, your inequality becomes:
    1-x+2x \le -x

You do this with all three possible ranges. There are four possible outcomes:
    (a) There is no solution (e.g. if you end up with something like 0 &gt; 1)
    (b) There is a solution, but it's not in the given range (in which case it's not actually a solution)
    (c) There is a solution and it's in the given range (so it's a solution to the whole thing)
    (d) There are an infinite number of solutions (in which case the whole given range is a solution to the equation)

As a simpler example, consider |x| \ge x+3. There are two cases to consider, x \le 0 and x \ge 0. If x \le 0 then |x| = -x, and so we have -x \ge x + 3 \Rightarrow 2x \le -3 \Rightarrow x \le -\frac{3}{2}, which is fine since this is in the range x \le 0. If x \ge 0 then |x|=x, and so we have x \ge x+3. This simplifies to 0 \ge 3 which is always false, so there are no solutions in this range.

An example of where (d) occurs is the equation |x| \ge x. This is true for all x \ge 0, and false for all x &lt; 0.
    Thanks I think I get it now.

So in case one, where both x-1 and x are <0 the reason that |x-1| becomes -(x-1) is because it has to be positive, so it is given a negative before it to make it positive?

In the end I got x <= -1/2, not idea if that is right.

Our lecturer also makes us write the answers like x ∈ (-∞, -1/2]

In this case the final bracket would be square, since -1/2 is included since its <= ?

Cheers

To update, for case 1 I got the only solution of x <= -1/2

In case 2 the answer was 0 <= -1 so there is no solution

And case 3 I got x <= 1/2 which isn't valid as one of the conditions was x-1 > 0

Does that sound right?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by CJN)
    Thanks I think I get it now.

So in case one, where both x-1 and x are <0 the reason that |x-1| becomes -(x-1) is because it has to be positive, so it is given a negative before it to make it positive?

In the end I got x <= -1/2, not idea if that is right.

Our lecturer also makes us write the answers like x ∈ (-∞, -1/2]

In this case the final bracket would be square, since -1/2 is included since its <= ?

Cheers
    Yup, that all seems fine to me.

And yes, in general, [a,b] means the set of numbers x for which a \le x \le b, and (a,b) means a&lt;x&lt;b, and [a,b) means a \le x &lt; b and so on.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by CJN)
    To update, for case 1 I got the only solution of x <= -1/2

In case 2 the answer was 0 <= -1 so there is no solution

And case 3 I got x <= 1/2 which isn't valid as one of the conditions was x-1 > 0

Does that sound right?
    Yup that sounds right! Well done

ReputationRep:
    Yup that sounds right! Well done
    Wow great, thanks for your help! Hopefully I will remember how to do this for my tutorial tomorrow :cool:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.