Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Had you already finished S1, I'd go with S2.
    S2 is actually quite different (and I'd also say MUCH easier than S1). However, there are some key concepts that they expect you to know for S2. You could run through the entire S1 course and sit it in Jan, and then follow by the S2 if that's available to you - but otherwise I'd recommend something else.

Having done D1 myself, I have to say that once you get over the fact that it's pointless, you can really enjoy it. It's like a puzzle book that just requires patience. As some other people have said, put the work in and it's very easy marks - I managed to get 98/100 without any pain at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriacatherine)
    It helps to have taken the first applied module before the second (e.g. S1 before S2). What are you sitting in January? If you can take S1 in January, take S2 in June instead of D1. If not, you'll probably manage to do them simultaneously. Ideally you'll be able to study the parts of S2 that don't build on S1 first (I don't know what these are for your course, though).
    Im taking S1 in jan and FP1 in June. Idealy I would like to take S2 (or other modual) in jan, to lessen the workload leading up to exams.
    Thanks for the response btw, I think im pretty much set on doing S2 now, unless im for some reason drawn towards Fp2 or Fp3, could you tell me if either of these are possible to do before Fp1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)
    In my opinion S2 is slightly easier than S1, so you definitely can learn it without proper knowledge of S1 :yep:

S2 harder then FP2/FP3? :rolleyes: Never!!!!
    Ok thanks.

And ok, But say I was crazy enough to want to do a Further Pure, could I without doing Fp1 first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ok thanks.

And ok, But say I was crazy enough to want to do a Further Pure, could I without doing Fp1 first?

By further pure do you mean FP2/FP3?

In that case I would say it would be quite crazy and difficult but not impossible (this is what im currently doing :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Had you already finished S1, I'd go with S2.
    S2 is actually quite different (and I'd also say MUCH easier than S1). However, there are some key concepts that they expect you to know for S2. You could run through the entire S1 course and sit it in Jan, and then follow by the S2 if that's available to you - but otherwise I'd recommend something else.

Having done D1 myself, I have to say that once you get over the fact that it's pointless, you can really enjoy it. It's like a puzzle book that just requires patience. As some other people have said, put the work in and it's very easy marks - I managed to get 98/100 without any pain at all.
    It seems to be the general opinion that S2 is easier.

I understand why some people can really get into D1, but I seem to have a block with it, unlike S1 (Which I really enjoy)

ReputationRep:
    Strangly enough, people better at maths always seem to do worst in the decision modules...

:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)
    By further pure do you mean FP2/FP3?

In that case I would say it would be quite crazy and difficult but not impossible (this is what im currently doing :rolleyes: )
    Ok, I think I should proberly stick to S2. Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Strangly enough, people better at maths always seem to do worst in the decision modules...

Ill have that one

ReputationRep:
    Have what? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)

I think that this occurrence is similar to what I call "I was a clever child syndrome". Some people who have particular talents in subjects are always able to get by in class by putting in a smaller amount of effort in than the kids that the subject doesn't come so naturally to. So suddenly, when they come across a subject that doesn't come so naturally, they don't perform so well.

In this instance, the people who are better at maths don't always pay 100% attention to detail are still generally able to get by - they put in less effort for the same amount of achievement. However, D1 is almost completely about remembering methods perfectly, and regurgitating them - i.e it's not 100% mathematical intuition. So the amazing mathematicians sitting the exams put their normal amount of effort in, but do not receive all the marks, thus performing worse than those who are used to having to put in a greater amount of effort, and take greater care to watch for silly mistakes from day to day.

Hopefully that makes some sense?...

ReputationRep:
    It made sense up until the "I was a clever child syndrome"
    so yeah, it made some sense.

Spoiler:
    Show
    joke :p: I get what you mean

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I think I should proberly stick to S2. Thanks for the advice!
    No problem!

Thanks for +rep

ReputationRep:
    Keeping it short, im doing AS

Im doing F.Maths, S1 and FP1 and D1
    BUT I HATE D1
    Its pointless, so what are my options?

Can I do FP2 or Fp3 before FP1?
    Can I do S2 along with S1? Or should I do S1 completly first?
    why not M1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon1993)
    why not M1?
    He is doing M1 with regular maths.

ReputationRep:
    Im taking S1 in jan and FP1 in June. Idealy I would like to take S2 (or other modual) in jan, to lessen the workload leading up to exams.
    Thanks for the response btw, I think im pretty much set on doing S2 now, unless im for some reason drawn towards Fp2 or Fp3, could you tell me if either of these are possible to do before Fp1?
    I think I would have been able to do FP2 alongside FP1 as long as the topics were in the 'right' order - i.e. FP1 matrices and complex numbers at the start of the module; FP2 matrices and complex numbers at the very end. I wouldn't have been able to do FP2 before C4 (I did them alongside each other) because of the amount and difficulty of FP2 calculus. I didn't take FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriacatherine)
    I think I would have been able to do FP2 alongside FP1 as long as the topics were in the 'right' order - i.e. FP1 matrices and complex numbers at the start of the module; FP2 matrices and complex numbers at the very end. I wouldn't have been able to do FP2 before C4 (I did them alongside each other) because of the amount and difficulty of FP2 calculus. I didn't take FP3.
    OP is with Edexcel for maths. If you had matrices in FP2, you can't have been doing Edexcel. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 2, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.