Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else (black) ever feel annoyed and a little depressed at the expectations of how to be black and beautiful. It really gets me down. So many mixed race (black & white) people are paraded in the media as the beautiful black people when they're not black at all and are a ridiculous comparison for us black people. Ive seen so many attractive black people but its hard to be secure in this when the media refuses to represent any actual attractive black people. . Think about it all the "attractive" black people are mixed race, Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Alesha Dixon, Thandie Newton,Leona same for the males, the good looking half of JLS are both mixed race, Ricky Whittle, Lewis Hamilton, Thierry Henry. Just cant win.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry. Who cares what the media thiink and give the world what you've got!

ReputationRep:
    Gabrielle Union :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    I wouldn't worry. Who cares what the media thiink and give the world what you've got!
    Yup, don't worry OP. Whats shown on the media isn't the be all and end all.

Idi Amin :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Idi Amin :sogood:
    Bi Kidude :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Both of Beyonce's parents are black aren't they? She's fit :coma: And btw, just because someone is only 'half' black, doesn't mean they can't be referred to as black, imo :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Will smith Yo :sexface:

(Original post by mel0n)
    Bi Kidude :sogood:
    What a sexy little cocoa bean. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    You tell 'em, girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen plenty of beautiful black women.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean !

ReputationRep:
    Naomi cambell, keisha b, Alex burke

ReputationRep:
    Tyra banks, she's fully black

ReputationRep:
    Kelly Rowland, Danielle Evans, LeToya, Janelle Monae, Chrisette Michele, Nicki Minaj, Teairra Mari, heck I could go on and on....

ReputationRep:
    I think mixed race people are the generally the most beautiful people in the world because they take a bit of both but I also believe every race is beautiful and no race is more beautiful than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else (black) ever feel annoyed and a little depressed at the expectations of how to be black and beautiful. It really gets me down. So many mixed race (black & white) people are paraded in the media as the beautiful black people when they're not black at all and are a ridiculous comparison for us black people. Ive seen so many attractive black people but its hard to be secure in this when the media refuses to represent any actual attractive black people. . Think about it all the "attractive" black people are mixed race, Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Alesha Dixon, Thandie Newton,Leona same for the males, the good looking half of JLS are both mixed race, Ricky Whittle, Lewis Hamilton, Thierry Henry. Just cant win.
    A lot celebrities seem more attractive than your average person, but maybe those people look more attractive because we've been here all our lives we have accepted a western definition beauty, and you've found them attractive because they have a more Caucasian look. People in different countries have different definitions of what constitutes attractievness for example in Somalia black gums are desirable and also brown marks on yor teeth (which comes from the excessive amount of calcium in water in some regions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Land-based mammal)
    A lot celebrities seem more attractive than your average person, but Maybe those people look more attractive because we've been here all our lives we have accepted a western definition beauty, and you've found them attractive because they have a more Caucasian look. People in different countries have different definitions what contitutes attractievness for example in Somalia black gums are desirable and also brown marks on yor teeth (which comes from the excessive amount of calcium in water in some regions).
    Brown marks on your teeth desirable? hahaha no it isn't.
    It isn't "black" gums but darker coloured gums.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explore)
    Brown marks on your teeth desirable? hahaha no it isn't.
    It isn't "black" gums but darker coloured gums.

:rolleyes:
    In somalia brown marks (from calcium in water, not dirt) is desirable.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...62&tx=93&ty=67

ReputationRep:
    As a black girl I can say no.
    I find it puts less pressure on black people as we aren't really told that we have to look a certain way. I feel no pressure to look like leona lewis or thandie newton nor do I feel pressure to look like Shingai shiowana or janelle monae.
    Why not try and look at more black media then?
    American media will also open your eyes to a lot of black celebs.
    Black people come in all different shades, shapes and sizes and that is what is beautiful. Also I don't think that someone being lighter makes them less black as some people see. I feel proud to see any kind of black or mixed person succeed.
    I get what you are saying but I also think that there are a lot of 'fully' black females promoted these days.
    Also when it comes to guys the media promotes loads of fully black guys. In fact most of the guys tend to be darker.
    But like I said black is black regardless of shade.
    Don't ever look to the media for your idea of beauty. When it comes to yourself look at you and en chance what you have. Maybe taking some tips from some celebs but not looking to them for a concept of beauty. That goes for every race.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.