Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You lot are wayyyyy to insecure man. Its embarrassing sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Land-based mammal)
    In somalia brown marks (from calcium in water, not dirt) is desirable.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...62&tx=93&ty=67
    No it isn't, some have it, but it ain't desirable.

ReputationRep:
    keri heilsen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprilterri)
    As a black girl I can say no.
    I find it puts less pressure on black people as we aren't really told that we have to look a certain way. I feel no pressure to look like leona lewis or thandie newton nor do I feel pressure to look like Shingai shiowana or janelle monae.
    Why not try and look at more black media then?
    American media will also open your eyes to a lot of black celebs.

Black people come in all different shades, shapes and sizes and that is what is beautiful. Also I don't think that someone being lighter makes them less black as some people see. I feel proud to see any kind of black or mixed person succeed.
    I get what you are saying but I also think that there are a lot of 'fully' black females promoted these days.
    Also when it comes to guys the media promotes loads of fully black guys. In fact most of the guys tend to be darker.
    But like I said black is black regardless of shade.

Don't ever look to the media for your idea of beauty. When it comes to yourself look at you and en chance what you have. Maybe taking some tips from some celebs but not looking to them for a concept of beauty. That goes for every race.
    Exactly this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trollish)
    Will smith Yo :sexface:
    sooo true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else (black) ever feel annoyed and a little depressed at the expectations of how to be black and beautiful. It really gets me down. So many mixed race (black & white) people are paraded in the media as the beautiful black people when they're not black at all and are a ridiculous comparison for us black people. Ive seen so many attractive black people but its hard to be secure in this when the media refuses to represent any actual attractive black people. . Think about it all the "attractive" black people are mixed race, Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Alesha Dixon, Thandie Newton,Leona same for the males, the good looking half of JLS are both mixed race, Ricky Whittle, Lewis Hamilton, Thierry Henry. Just cant win.
    there was ma thinking i was the only one who thought that! dnt get me wrong i ent racist cos i luv my white frends but i do feel lyk im slackin around them coz boys flock to them like im invisible...i ent the most beautiful but i ent ugly, ppl r jus shallow

ReputationRep:
    Morrison Chestnut and Boris Kodjo :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmJtr)
    You lot are wayyyyy to insecure man. Its embarrassing sometimes.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Keri Hilson = true black beauty.

ReputationRep:
    Tyra Banks
    http://images.free-extras.com/pics/t/tyra_banks-768.jpg

Iman Mohamed Abdulmajid (who is 55 years old)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...28model%29.jpg
    http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2...EgnC8HnIyl.jpg

They are two of the most successful models, along with Naomi Campbell. But even if blacks are underrepresented in the media I think it has more to do with them being poor and so not having as much influence, compared to other races. Btw a black woman just won America's Next Top Model and she was very beautiful.

I don't know why, but for some reason I find really dark skin really hot. It's like... a solid sculpture form, perfectly dark and silent. I can't help feeling a bit guilty for the racial preference thing sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you give a damn what the media thinks? The media is run by simple minded people, for simple minded people. So don't base your life on the crap that comes out your television or off a supermarket shelf. Know yourself and live for yourself. Not for the opinion of others :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else (black) ever feel annoyed and a little depressed at the expectations of how to be black and beautiful. It really gets me down. So many mixed race (black & white) people are paraded in the media as the beautiful black people when they're not black at all and are a ridiculous comparison for us black people. Ive seen so many attractive black people but its hard to be secure in this when the media refuses to represent any actual attractive black people. . Think about it all the "attractive" black people are mixed race, Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Alesha Dixon, Thandie Newton,Leona same for the males, the good looking half of JLS are both mixed race, Ricky Whittle, Lewis Hamilton, Thierry Henry. Just cant win.
    Erm, yes they are.

They're mixed race and not black, no matter who many ignoramouses brand them black because it's convenient. The point is white half white heritage they're not realistic role models for black beauty.

(Original post by mel0n)
    And btw, just because someone is only 'half' black, doesn't mean they can't be referred to as black, imo :erm:
    Then why's it unacceptable to call them 'white'?

Why must I call Obama 'black', instead of 'white'? To be honest, I'd rather everyone just accepted that he was mixed race, and a 'real' black person would never have become President of the USA.

ReputationRep:
    Someone once said to me:

'If brown was supposed to be attractive, why did God make poo that colour?'

ReputationRep:
    no such thing as black and beautiful. there all ugly as ****. not racist, just true.

ReputationRep:
    also true on the poo thing.

ReputationRep:
    mixed race is the future, opens up incestuous gene pools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Both of Beyonce's parents are black aren't they? She's fit :coma: And btw, just because someone is only 'half' black, doesn't mean they can't be referred to as black, imo :erm:
    if they can be refered to as black, they can be refered to as white

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.