Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Structure of A Level Exam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiho.

Firstly, sorry for that questions but I was searching for long time and haven't found a good answers.

I want to make an application in 2012. Im from Poland and i want pass A Level teaching myself.

Ive got few questions about structure of Exam.

I have chosen Mathematic, Further Mathematic and Physics (should I chose more?). I've got 2 years so in March-June 2011 (I don't know timetables and deadlines) I wanna pass AS Level (Math, Further Math, Physics) and in Jan-March 2012 I want to pass A Level (i mean advanced, maybe it is A2 - it is difference between A Level and A2 Level?)

Ok, Plan seems to be good I hope (If not write it ASAP!) and now I wanna know sth about Math and Further Math. What should I learn mean how is Math AS/A/A2 Level structure? I have read that i must chose 4 modules but can someone just write it in simply language ?

Sorry for that simply questions, but I really, couldn't found it

ReputationRep:
    lukasz flappyhandski is bull****.

just felt i had to say it

ReputationRep:
    What course do you hope to go onto?

What exam board do you think you are going to do?

ReputationRep:
    Aiming Engineering (Cambridge, Imperial)

Exam board.. U mean Edexcel or maybe sth like C1, M1 etc?

If first - Edexcel
    If sec - i dont know yet cause i dont know which are forbidden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamester)
    Aiming Engineering (Cambridge, Imperial)

Exam board.. U mean Edexcel or maybe sth like C1, M1 etc?

If first - Edexcel
    If sec - i dont know yet cause i dont know which are forbidden
    The first thing you have to know about A-levels is that they are modular. This means that each exam you take will be an exam in that "module" or "unit" as they are sometimes called. These modules then have to be "entered for certification", so that your modules can be put together to form an AS-level or A-level, to give you a qualification and final grade.

Secondly, AS + A2 = A-level. An "AS-level" is a qualification, an "A2" is not. For all the subjects you've chosen, the AS consists of 3 modules, and the A2 consists of 3 modules. Altogether, when all six are certificated, you will get an "A-level".

There is little choice in the physics syllabuses. You have six modules which you must do - three are AS and three are A2, and you must do the three AS modules to get an AS-level, and do them all to get a full A-level.

Maths/further maths is a bit different. There are up to 21 modules to choose from depending on what exam board you are on, and there are some which you must do, some which you cannot do before others, etc. There are also some rules in the way they are certificated, to get your final grade. This post is getting quite long though, so if you want me to explain, I'll do so in another post!

For each of those subjects, you need to decide what exam board you are on first.
    Physics: You have AQA, OCR, and Edexcel. Within these, you may have to choose between different syllabuses - for example, OCR do OCR Physics A and OCR Physics B (also known as Advancing Physics).
    Maths and Further maths: You have AQA, OCR, OCR (MEI) and Edexcel to choose from. MEI (Mathematics in Engineering and Industry) is a part of OCR but has a very different syllabus. It is also an exam board specifically for maths.

EDIT: And txt language is strictly forbidden! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, So I have chosen Edexcel cause it's the only one avaible in my country.

I haven't got option - Math and Physics A-Level is maximum, I hate chemistry etc. So I have chosen Mathematic, Physics and Further Mathematic. Can u explain me which combination are forbbiden? I read sth in syllabus but im not sure that informations. And Edexcel Physics contains Pratical Test? If yes.. I cant do it in my country.. so it will be veeery bad. And If u can tell me - what should i do in Pratical test? It's sth like test in lab?

Thank for answers

P.S What does ' txt language is strictly forbidden! ' mean?

ReputationRep:

I haven't got option - Math and Physics A-Level is maximum, I hate chemistry etc. So I have chosen Mathematic, Physics and Further Mathematic. Can u explain me which combination are forbbiden? I read sth in syllabus but im not sure that informations. And Edexcel Physics contains Pratical Test? If yes.. I cant do it in my country.. so it will be veeery bad. And If u can tell me - what should i do in Pratical test? It's sth like test in lab?

Thank for answers

P.S What does ' txt language is strictly forbidden! ' mean?
    Ok... as you are probably aware,
    The edexcel modules for maths are:
    Core modules - C1, C2, C3, C4
    Mechanics modules - M1, M2, M3, M4, M5
    Statistics modules - S1, S2, S3, S3
    Further Pure modules - FP1, FP2, FP3,
    Decision modules - D1, D2
    Of these, mechanics, statistics and decision are applied modules. A module cannot be used to make up an AS or A-level if you haven't got the one before that. For example, M2 cannot be used if you haven't entered M1. Likewise, S4, for example, cannot be used if you haven't used S3, S2 and S1.

To get an AS award for Maths, you must study C1 and C2 as well as an applied module. You need another three modules (C3, C4 and an different applied module) on top of that to get an A-level in maths.

You need to study FP1 and another two modules (not the ones studied for A-level maths!) to get an AS further maths qualification, which you can't get without having AS-level maths, I think (someone should check this bit - it might be A-level maths). You then need to study FP2 and yet another two modules on top of your AS further maths to get an A-level in further maths!

If you worked out which modules to take based on those rules, you shouldn't meet anything "forbidden". The main "forbidden" issues come in when people try to not take FP2, or something like that. Mainly, I suppose the real issues come in with the A*s... and yes, the A* rules are also a bit strange for maths. :rolleyes:

Have a read at this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...matics_A_Level

Edexcel physics will, I think, involve 2 exams and one practical for AS and again 2 exams and one practical in A2. So a total of 2 practicals and four exams for your full A-level.

And "txt language is strictly forbidden" means that "u" should be written as "you" and "sth" should be written as "something", etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... it seems there are special arrangements for practicals for international centres. Take a look here, it's explained quite well:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...ec-Physics.pdf

Sounds like its not so much of a practical as an exam paper in experimental techniques!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so it's something like ' pratical physics in the paper ' ? I have to imagine that im in lab and doing something ? If yes it will be ok

But I supose that It's realy practical exam, so British Concul propably cant arange it for me so.. Crap

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so it's something like ' pratical physics in the paper ' ? I have to imagine that im in lab and doing something ? If yes it will be ok
    Yes. You don't carry out the experiment - you plan it to the best of your ability and evaluate what you've done I suppose. You will probably be provided with a list of equipment, and then be asked to write a method based on that. And you'll probably get questions on sensible range and interval of measurements, safety considerations, estimated errors in your experiment, how to minimise errors (if you had different/better equipment), etc.

ReputationRep:
    And Edexcel Physics contains Pratical Test?
    Edexcel provide an alternative to practical exams for students taking their exams outside the UK. read about it in the specification on their website
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Ok so for being sure, Exam in Lab won't be necessary, so I can pass A-Level Physics in my own Country. It's really nice. Anyway, I've got a some kind of.. request for somebody.. Could you give me your mail or communicator (and type of it cause im using only gadu-gadu (polish communicator)) cause I've got alot of stupid questions, and I won't ask there (stupid mean easy)

ReputationRep:
    Ok so for being sure, Exam in Lab won't be necessary, so I can pass A-Level Physics in my own Country. It's really nice. Anyway, I've got a some kind of.. request for somebody.. Could you give me your mail or communicator (and type of it cause im using only gadu-gadu (polish communicator)) cause I've got alot of stupid questions, and I won't ask there (stupid mean easy)
    Could you... um... rephrase that question slightly?

ReputationRep:
    Practical Exam won't be necessary in Physic A-Level exam?

ReputationRep:
    Practical Exam won't be necessary in Physic A-Level exam?
    You won't get a practial to do. But you will get a paper on practical skills instead ...which you do without carrying out the practical.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks alot!

And I'm not sure that I understand Math A-Level rules.

In Mathematic A-Level i should take 3 AS Modules and 3 A2 Modules. I must take C1 and C2 in AS Level? Or Can I for example take:

C1, S1, M1 (AS Level)?

And what about Further Math A-Level? It isn't part of Mathematic A-Level right?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks alot!

And I'm not sure that I understand Math A-Level rules.

In Mathematic A-Level i should take 3 AS Modules and 3 A2 Modules. I must take C1 and C2 in AS Level? Or Can I for example take:

C1, S1, M1 (AS Level)?

And what about Further Math A-Level? It isn't part of Mathematic A-Level right?
    Yes! You must take C1 and C2 at AS and an applied module (NOT C3 or C4 kind of thing). Then for A2 modules, you have to do C3 and C4.

A-level Further maths is basically another six modules on top of your 6 modules for A-level maths (so no, it's not "part of" maths!). It's again three AS modules and three A2 modules. The AS modules have to include FP1, the A2 modules have to include FP2.

Those are the rules!

ReputationRep:
    So Why I can't find a Further Math Syllabus at Edexcel web page? ;(

The only thing that I have found it's ' Further Pure Math ' and it's one of A-Level Math modul I guess

Oh.. I already understood it! So those 18 modules in Math A-Levels are for Further Math too yeah? I should chose 3 modules in AS Level Math, and 3 modules in AS Level Further Math, then in next year 3 modules in A2 Level Math and 3 modules in A2 Level Further Math, then I've got A-Level Math and A-Level Further Mat yeah?

Sorry for that questions but In my country exams are really different :P

P.S For Example:

AS Level Math:

C1
    C2
    S1

AS Level Further Math

FP1
    M1
    S2

A2 Level Math

C3
    C4
    M2

A2 Level Further Math

FP2
    S3
    M3

That combination is allowed yeah?

Or In AS-Level I can only make a combination of:

C1 C2 M1 S1 D1 FP1 ?

ReputationRep:
    So Why I can't find a Further Math Syllabus at Edexcel web page? ;(

The only thing that I have found it's ' Further Pure Math ' and it's one of A-Level Math modul I guess

Oh.. I already understood it! So those 18 modules in Math A-Levels are for Further Math too yeah? I should chose 3 modules in AS Level Math, and 3 modules in AS Level Further Math, then in next year 3 modules in A2 Level Math and 3 modules in A2 Level Further Math, then I've got A-Level Math and A-Level Further Mat yeah?

Sorry for that questions but In my country exams are really different :P

P.S For Example:

AS Level Math:

C1
    C2
    S1

AS Level Further Math

FP1
    M1
    S2

A2 Level Math

C3
    C4
    M2

A2 Level Further Math

FP2
    S3
    M3

That combination is allowed yeah?

Or In AS-Level I can only make a combination of:

C1 C2 M1 S1 D1 FP1 ?
    Yeah, I believe those combinations are allowed!
    The rest of what you say is definitely right. All the modules come under the "A-level maths" syllabus, although it should mention how to get an "A-level further maths award" in it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.