Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is physics AS and A-Level like, and do I need it to study medicine at uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my GCSEs in the summer and I'm expected to get all A* in the sciences because science is both my one true love and really easy for me. So getting grades isn't the problem.

I'm definately taking chemistry and biology in the sixth form, but I don't know about physics. I've heard it gets really mathsy later on, which I'm not comfortable with because I find maths harder.

My mother is also really discouraging me from taking physics after my much smarter (allegedly, grr, grr) cousin flopped her exam and only got a B (not bad, but by her standards atrocious).

So what is it like? Is there a lot of focus on maths? I saw my cousin's text books and I understood some of it because I'm boring and creepy enough to research stuff like that in my free time, and it was also interesting.

So is it worth the risk?
    I'm definately taking biology and chemistry because I really love them.

Another thing, I heard you had to take physics or maths to do medicine at university. Is this true?

( I know I sound kind of creepy when I say that science is my one true love, but seriously. While all my friends are squeeing over boys, I'm busy squeeing over my giant periodic table stapled to my ceiling. When they thrust annoying pictures of various actors at me, I show them my copies of the Lancet or the New Scientist. I'm just boring, really. )

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to take physics or maths, but if science is your "one true love" and "really easy for you", then surely Physics would be a good A Level choice for you?

ReputationRep:
    It's not too 'mathsy', but lots of people struggle with physics. You don't need it for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I did physics without maths in a year and really enjoyed it. As long as you have a firm grasp of GCSE maths you'll be fine. And I agree with the above poster, if you love science so much why are you even asking this question?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 Physics, after having done AS. Physics at A-Level is really interesting, for me anyway.
    AS Physics isn't too mathsy, but you'll need to get used to plugging in numbers in formulae, and some rearranging. GCSE stuff really, considering you're given most of the important formulae.
    A2 Physics, well looking at the text book, is on a new level. About the same amount of maths as AS, but more complex. If you're not that good at maths, then in your case i'd just take AS physics, and not do A2.
    If you want to do medicine, then physics isn't really necessary at A2, but its nice to have at AS if you love science.

ReputationRep:
    I did Physics AS last year and at first with the mechanics module, I personally thought that I wouldn't be able to do it. Then after getting an A in the Jan exam, it boosted my confidence especially because I didn't focus on Physics at all thinking that I'd be dropping it later in the year. I got the hang of it and it all made sense to me. In fact, I started to find it really enjoyable. Aced the summer exam and got full marks. =D

Physics isn't required for medicine at all but I think it's a useful subject to have. It's really not all about Maths. It's basically applying what you know to solve a few questions and as long as you understand the concepts, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Oh yeah, one last bit of advice : don't be intimidated by some members of your class (boys in particular) who seem to have all the answers for Physics. They were the ones who actually did pretty badly.

Hope it helped!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 Physics now. The maths part of AS Physics was really easy, as people have said it's just plugging numbers into a formula you're probably given in the formulae booklet (at least for Edexcel anyway). The hard part is the understanding of the topics. I'm more of a Maths person though so I naturally find the Maths really easy and the 'wordy questions' harder.

I have to say, I found it hard. But I still loved it and found it a really interesting subject. You sound like you're really good at the Sciences so you'll probably do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    No. You do NOT need physics at AS or A2 for medicine. Chemistry is the major requirement, and almost always Biology is required alongside it. Only take physics if you are genuinely interested in studying it. By the looks of it, you're not, so taking another subject won't affect an application for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    No. You do NOT need physics at AS or A2 for medicine. Chemistry is the major requirement, and almost always Biology is required alongside it. Only take physics if you are genuinely interested in studying it. By the looks of it, you're not, so taking another subject won't affect an application for medicine.
    :lolwut:

I got the opposite impression from the OP's post. She said she loved science and that she was really good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)

I'm definitely taking chemistry and biology in the sixth form, but I don't know about physics. I've heard it gets really mathsy later on, which I'm not comfortable with because I find maths harder.

I'm definitely taking biology and chemistry because I really love them.
    The post gave me the impression that although they do enjoy science, this is more specific to biology/chemistry. By all means if they do find it interesting, they should take A Level Physics. But in terms of feeling they have to take it to meet entry requirements for medicine, there is no need.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.