Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here have any experience of taking an unplanned year out from Cambridge mid-degree? Was the university ok with it? How did you find it going back after a year out?

ReputationRep:
    Or any uni in fact, do you think you made the right decision?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be such a bad thing to do, if you made good use of it, for example doing work experience or travelling?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    This seems like a strange question to ask. Are you planning to have an unplanned year out? Because then it's not an unplanned year out :p: If you're planning to have a year out then it's probably not possible except in certain circumstances (e.g. a year out on a language course). If it's actually unplanned, then it really depends. I mean, if you become really ill, you can be degraded and take a year out, but being degraded usually isn't voluntary.

If you want to go travelling, why not have a gap year before going to uni, or do it after you've finished your degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'll reply properly later, but normally they only allow people to 'degrade' if they're having serious problems (medical or otherwise). Although I do know a historian who degraded for a year to go and study French history in France, so it's not impossible, but I'd imagine they'd want you to be doing something pretty structured.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry for posting stupid threads.. I think I must be overtired and just stressing myself out, as I love to do..
    Thank you so much nuodai and crazy_emz for taking the time to reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.