Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here have any experience of taking an unplanned year out from Cambridge mid-degree? Was the university ok with it? How did you find it going back after a year out?

ReputationRep:
    Or any uni in fact, do you think you made the right decision?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be such a bad thing to do, if you made good use of it, for example doing work experience or travelling?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    This seems like a strange question to ask. Are you planning to have an unplanned year out? Because then it's not an unplanned year out :p: If you're planning to have a year out then it's probably not possible except in certain circumstances (e.g. a year out on a language course). If it's actually unplanned, then it really depends. I mean, if you become really ill, you can be degraded and take a year out, but being degraded usually isn't voluntary.

If you want to go travelling, why not have a gap year before going to uni, or do it after you've finished your degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'll reply properly later, but normally they only allow people to 'degrade' if they're having serious problems (medical or otherwise). Although I do know a historian who degraded for a year to go and study French history in France, so it's not impossible, but I'd imagine they'd want you to be doing something pretty structured.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry for posting stupid threads.. I think I must be overtired and just stressing myself out, as I love to do..
    Thank you so much nuodai and crazy_emz for taking the time to reply

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.