Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Somebody in the other flats in my building has been stealing our post (4-5 parcels) We contacted the police, who informed us that we could only prove one item had been stolen, because the thief left the packaging lying in the hall (clever), so I assume all 4 others went missing in the post on the same week, likely!

Anyway, they came around and pretty much said they weren't going to do **** about it, I'm not too bothered, I just told the companies that the post didn't arrive and got refunds - it just surprised me that the police really didn't care, how much effort would it have been to knock on the other flats doors (5 in total) and say "have you had any post stolen, don't steal it! (thus scaring them into not doing it again)" There are only 5 people who could have possibly stolen it, its hardly hard detective work with such a small pool of suspects.

It just annoyed me, When loads of money is stolen they spare no expense with year long investigations, when do they draw the line at "can't be bothered" is it for stuff worth over £1000 or something?

ReputationRep:
    Its more of a civil matter I think?

Your actions shouldn't be calling the police, you should confront the person in question immediately, stating your accusation and for them to stop doing it.

You then need to contact your landlord and bring up the need for postal security in your flat. You also need to change your address, can you not have your parcels delivered to the reception and pick them up from there?

How about asking a local shop if you can pay them a little bit of cash to accept parcels on your behalf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Somebody in the other flats in my building has been stealing our post (4-5 parcels) We contacted the police, who informed us that we could only prove one item had been stolen, because the thief left the packaging lying in the hall (clever), so I assume all 4 others went missing in the post on the same week, likely!

Anyway, they came around and pretty much said they weren't going to do **** about it, I'm not too bothered, I just told the companies that the post didn't arrive and got refunds - it just surprised me that the police really didn't care, how much effort would it have been to knock on the other flats doors (5 in total) and say "have you had any post stolen, don't steal it! (thus scaring them into not doing it again)" There are only 5 people who could have possibly stolen it, its hardly hard detective work with such a small pool of suspects.

It just annoyed me, When loads of money is stolen they spare no expense with year long investigations, when do they draw the line at "can't be bothered" is it for stuff worth over £1000 or something?
    I agree. I've reported serious things to the police before, and I was shocked about how carefree they were about it. So much of it seems to be about bureaucracy and ticking boxes - they're happy to stand there for ages filling in forms etc, yet when it comes to actually investigating the crime they don't do anything.

Also, I don't know about you, but I feel police officers these days treat the occupation like a job rather than a duty to society. They just don't seem to give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    The police see these small time crimes as a waste of their time. It is very hard for them to prove who is guilty, as it becomes your word against someone elses. In these cases, they just can't be bothered to try and resolve the matter as the money lost in damages will not outweigh the cost of getting the police involved. They would not be cost effective if they dealt with every single small crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacreBleu)
    Its more of a civil matter I think?

Your actions shouldn't be calling the police, you should confront the person in question immediately, stating your accusation and for them to stop doing it.

You then need to contact your landlord and bring up the need for postal security in your flat. You also need to change your address, can you not have your parcels delivered to the reception and pick them up from there?

How about asking a local shop if you can pay them a little bit of cash to accept parcels on your behalf.
    I had put letters up asking for the parcels to be returned, and to stop stealing them in the first place. They weren't returned so I rang the people we rent off, they told us to ring the police (as did the royal mail) and we are trying to get them to tell the council we have a separate letter box around the side of the house (as opposed to the main hall) but the property people are slow at doing anything (we have had a big hole in the front door for months). I don't know which of the 5 flats were stealing it, so I didn't have a particular person/flat to go up to and demand my stuff back.

Since its happened nothing else has gone missing, so I guess they got scared off by our letter threatening to call the police. I don't think it will happen again, as hopefully we will get deliveries to our own door, but I just feel like they were allowed to get away with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel bergmann)
    The police see these small time crimes as a waste of their time. It is very hard for them to prove who is guilty, as it becomes your word against someone elses. In these cases, they just can't be bothered to try and resolve the matter as the money lost in damages will not outweigh the cost of getting the police involved. They would not be cost effective if they dealt with every single small crime.
    Yeah, I see that... but its just hard to accept. Basically I am "permitted" to commit a crime given that the cost of my crime is less than the cost of the police investigation?

Its a shame that Its unjustified to have a quick look in peoples flats, it would be a bit of a coincidence if someone just happened to have everything that had been stolen...

ReputationRep:
    Yea it is a shame isn't it. But we live in an imperfect world

And the problem there is the police cannot search the persons flat without a search warrant, which to obtain they need to have "reasonable evidence" that the stolen goods are in there. So what reasonable evidence would they have? And bear in mind that they have to get this search warrant from a judge. To be honest, most police cannot be bothered. They will just think "well, crimes done now. Not much we can do about it. Might as well head back to the station".

It sucks, but it's what happens. But at least we have the system of "innocent until proven guilty". It might suck for the petty crimes, but it's very important for some of the big ones I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel bergmann)
    Yea it is a shame isn't it. But we live in an imperfect world

And the problem there is the police cannot search the persons flat without a search warrant, which to obtain they need to have "reasonable evidence" that the stolen goods are in there. So what reasonable evidence would they have? And bear in mind that they have to get this search warrant from a judge. To be honest, most police cannot be bothered. They will just think "well, crimes done now. Not much we can do about it. Might as well head back to the station".

It sucks, but it's what happens. But at least we have the system of "innocent until proven guilty". It might suck for the petty crimes, but it's very important for some of the big ones I think.
    Yeah, it would be hard to tell if someone had stolen the damn things if they even had them in the flat anyway... Stupid justice! And catch-22 of warrants...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would be hard to tell if someone had stolen the damn things if they even had them in the flat anyway... Stupid justice! And catch-22 of warrants...
    Lol!
    I am sorry to hear you have been a victim of this though. Learning experience? Don't trust your neighbour.

ReputationRep:

Its a shame that Its unjustified to have a quick look in peoples flats, it would be a bit of a coincidence if someone just happened to have everything that had been stolen...
    Just stake out your mailbox, then pounce. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hire a PO box, and have all mail sent there.

ReputationRep:

Look at it from their angle. How can they prove who took it? Is there CCTV/Video Surveillance Systems in your flats?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.