Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Savoury food that you can't put onions in. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does it exist? Me and my mate were talking about it and we couldn't think of a single savoury thing that you can't put onions in. It's annoying me a lot because onions can't go with everything.. surely?!

ReputationRep:
    Smoked salmon and cream cheese pancake.

ReputationRep:
    porridge
    cereal

ReputationRep:
    Onions are one of my favourite foods - so I make them work with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talon1579)
    porridge
    cereal

Nah I tried to argue those, and apparently, according to my mate, they're 'meant to be sweet'.

Maybe ********.

ReputationRep:
    porridge isnt sweet. or bran cereal.

ReputationRep:
    Bag of salted crisps
    Scotch eggs
    Scrambled egg
    Sausage rolls
    Plain pasta

ReputationRep:
    There's not much they don't go with, after all they don't have a particularly strong taste after cooking so you can disguise them in pretty much anything. They would be detrimental to some foods with very simple flavours but as long as you like onions they'd certainly not make any savoury food inedible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    There's not much they don't go with, after all they don't have a particularly strong taste after cooking so you can disguise them in pretty much anything. They would be detrimental to some foods with very simple flavours but as long as you like onions they'd certainly not make any savoury food inedible.

That's just it, I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Sausage rolls
    Sausage rolls as in the meat wrapped in puff pastry, or sausages in a roll? :p:
    Assuming the former, next time you're in your local supermarket have a look at the ingredients in sausage rolls. You'll find that they often do have onion in them, though usually in the form of onion powder (basically just onions that have been dried and ground up) rather than chopped fresh onion.

ReputationRep:
    Toast. It'd be gross putting onions on toast.

(Original post by Addzter)
    Toast. It'd be gross putting onions on toast.
    I've had onions with toast before, admittedly not just onions but onions and with other veg and tomatoes, ratatouille on toast basically. You could probably also have toast with some kind of onion chutney and it wouldn't be so bad, especially with cheese as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    I've had onions with toast before, admittedly not just onions but onions and with other veg and tomatoes, ratatouille on toast basically. You could probably also have toast with some kind of onion chutney and it wouldn't be so bad, especially with cheese as well.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . If you say so :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the taste of onions but hate the texture and would never put them in anything I'm making
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Love onions. Would happily eat them in just about anything.

The other thing is that they don't have too strong a flavour when cooked and 'bulk out' things like bolgnaise sauce, otherwise it'd just be mince and tomato.

ReputationRep:
    Frenc Fries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Bag of salted crisps
    Scotch eggs
    Scrambled egg
    Sausage rolls
    Plain pasta
    sausage rolls would taste bloody excellent with onions o.O

(Original post by Addzter)
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . If you say so
    Sorry to spoil your theory.

Though just onion and toast would probably be quite strange, although a quick google for 'onion toast' bring back lots of results.

ReputationRep:
    In an egg... Which hasn't been cracked.

HA! I WIN.

You'd also struggle putting onions in crips xD

But seriously... Hmm I dunno. Onions are the best. Along with chillies ... Chilli powder goes in pretty much everything that I cook (savoury)

ReputationRep:
    Right, I had my suspicions that this thread would just end up being a bit silly and there's not a lot from the past 24 hours or so that's made me think otherwise. Thread closed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.