Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My smug and irritating driving instructor... Watch

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

Right at the very start, after my first one or two lessons or so, this driving instructor felt like a breath of fresh air. He seemed warming, simple, and seemed he was serious in helping me pass my test. He even felt like a mate and at one point I was thinking should I invite him in for a cup of tea.

20 or so hours with him later... I can't handle it anymore!

My instructor is annoying, and he really puts me off driving. I've got used to him now, and like 20 mins into a 2 hour lesson, he starts off.

Things like leaving decisions to the last minute. Like telling me to turn left when it's literally impossible. He would say "turn left here", when I'm literally just passing the street. Then he'd say "Ooo you had plenty of time to plan and turn!"

Whenever I make a really pointless minor, he'd tell me to pull over and start lecturing me about it. I've got 50+ hours of experience behind me, and he always treats me like I'm brand new.

Also, one time when I was at a traffic light, he annoyingly said "you haven't stalled in your last 30 or so traffic lights! Try to keep that record up!" What do I do? I stall... I could guarantee that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't said that.

He BANGS and CLAPS his hands loudly when he goes into one of his "explaining" talks. When I've said several times to stop doing it like that. For example, "When you're going through the gears, keep up with the traffic. So it's FIRST GEAR *CLAPS LOUDLY*, SECOND GEAR *CLAPS LOUDLY*, THIRD GEAR *CLAPS LOUDLY*" etc etc.

I feel I'm ready for my test, therefore I've personally booked it, and not via the company. And I told him, and all of a sudden "I'm not ready" or "I should book more lessons with him." Look, I drive my mums car and I've got insurance and that's like a breath of fresh air compared to these frustrating lessons. He's treating me abit differently now that I've booked a test without him knowing. And he gets all smug when I make a really pointless error.

If I fail this test, he'll have a field day whilst being smug. I've got 2 lessons with him left so I'll probably manage.

ReputationRep:
    gutted?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh looks like you had a pretty rough time of it. I think you have made the right decision with boking a secret test, that way yiu can judge on wheher what your instructer is telling you off for is a true judgement if ou fail your test. If you pass then good on you and you can forget about him for the rest of your life. Good luk

ReputationRep:
    You are aware that you're the customer? And that there are other instructors?

ReputationRep:
    My advice: He is sexualy fustrated. Take him to bed and win over your driving license in the space of an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyth)
    My advice: He is sexualy fustrated. Take him to bed and win over your driving license in the space of an hour.
    I'm a bloke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VivaLatzy)
    I'm a bloke!
    yea, and? =P

and why are you crying like a girl then?

ReputationRep:
    Stop paying him. Go elsewhere. Then you can be smug.

ReputationRep:
    get a new instructor if you fail. no ones forcing you to have lessons with him.

ReputationRep:

Right at the very start, after my first one or two lessons or so, this driving instructor felt like a breath of fresh air. He seemed warming, simple, and seemed he was serious in helping me pass my test. He even felt like a mate and at one point I was thinking should I invite him in for a cup of tea.

My instructor is annoying, and he really puts me off driving. I've got used to him now, and like 20 mins into a 2 hour lesson, he starts off.

Things like leaving decisions to the last minute. Like telling me to turn left when it's literally impossible. He would say "turn left here", when I'm literally just passing the street. Then he'd say "Ooo you had plenty of time to plan and turn!"

Whenever I make a really pointless minor, he'd tell me to pull over and start lecturing me about it. I've got 50+ hours of experience behind me, and he always treats me like I'm brand new.

Also, one time when I was at a traffic light, he annoyingly said "you haven't stalled in your last 30 or so traffic lights! Try to keep that record up!" What do I do? I stall... I could guarantee that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't said that.

He BANGS and CLAPS his hands loudly when he goes into one of his "explaining" talks. When I've said several times to stop doing it like that. For example, "When you're going through the gears, keep up with the traffic. So it's FIRST GEAR *CLAPS LOUDLY*, SECOND GEAR *CLAPS LOUDLY*, THIRD GEAR *CLAPS LOUDLY*" etc etc.

I feel I'm ready for my test, therefore I've personally booked it, and not via the company. And I told him, and all of a sudden "I'm not ready" or "I should book more lessons with him." Look, I drive my mums car and I've got insurance and that's like a breath of fresh air compared to these frustrating lessons. He's treating me abit differently now that I've booked a test without him knowing. And he gets all smug when I make a really pointless error.

If I fail this test, he'll have a field day whilst being smug. I've got 2 lessons with him left so I'll probably manage.
    I don't really feel safe knowing that you are loose on the roads when you can't even come up with a solution for your predicament.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a good driver.

I'm a simple guy, and all I wanted to do is learn to drive, and pass. While avoiding any complications. Changing instructors may have been a set back in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VersaEmerge)
    yea, and? =P

and why are you crying like a girl then?
    I'm sure if anyone else were in my shoes then they'd be weeping like girls too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if anyone else were in my shoes then they'd be weeping like girls too!
    no they wouldn't. smart people will realise that if your instructor has something to moan about then it means your driving isn't good enough. if it is good enough he won't be able to find anything to talk about. my instructor was worse than yours but i respect that every instructor is different and has their own way of teaching. if you don't like him, switch. and 90% the people learning to drive always think they are good enough to be on the road by themself but you see new drivers everday which obviously have no clue what's happning

ReputationRep:

He sounds like my first driving instructor! he did smilar sort of things. By my 20th lesson I had enough and changed to another instructor who was so much better. Seriously though he's not worth doing lessons with if you fail your test. There are many good dirivng instructors who are professional but nice too. If you fail get rid of your current instructor and go for another one. Try and get a few friends to recommend good driving instructors to you. At the end of it, your paying him to teach you how to drive not to make you feel like crap.
    Anyway all the best and good luck for the test. It does not matter if you fail but if you do fail get rid of him! and get a good instructor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    You are aware that you're the customer? And that there are other instructors?
    This.
    I was in a similar situation to you, whereby my instructor was completely unreasonable in everyway from making me have lessons at 7am on a saturday morning to yelling at me evertime I made a little mistake. as well as that he got really personal and told me that he hated people from my school and told me basically that I am a stuck up brat, which is always nice!

basically just remember that you are like any other comsumer- you wouldnt put up with put up with bad service in other places so dont put up with it from your instructor. Find a new one as libertine says or just learn in your mum's car.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'm glad mine isn't like that! Just switch instructors if you fail your test - switch straight away, so you don't have to face your original instructor and his smugness again.

ReputationRep:
    If he has things to pull you up on then firstly I think you need to accept that your driving isn't perfect and improvement can always be made. Unfortunately his teaching style - whilst it may work with other learners - does not seem to be the style that works with you. As someone has already said, either lump it until he feels you are ready for a test, or go elsewhere and find a different instructor.

ReputationRep:
    You did well in booking your test without him knowing. Just keep having lessons with him untill your test. I dont know how far away your test is but just grin and bear it untill then. Then if you pass your test then its all good. If you fail- dont wait around for him to be smug- just ditch him and go elsewhere with another instructor.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that you couldn't figure out that you can change instructor at any time, you're not locked into a contract with your current instructor. I don't understand why you felt the need to complain here, and like SacreBleu said "I don't really feel safe knowing that you are loose on the roads when you can't even come up with a solution for your predicament"

Tell him how you feel about the whole thing and if he doesn't change, you must change instructor.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.