Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

want to join the LGBT society but scared? Watch

Hey,
    I've just started uni at the uni of southampton and really wanted to join the LGBT society at the bunfight but I'm really scared/shy?! I know this is a chance to meet other people like me, but i'm not brave enough to do it how do you overcome this?! i'm not out. I'm bi by the way. If any of you guys know about the LGBT society at soton, info would be great! thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go once, see if its for you, then join if you like it.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a long trenchcoat and ski mask - that way, no one will recognise you if you go once and decide it's not for you.

ReputationRep:
    It's uni, not school. No one cares whether or not you're gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    It's uni, not school. No one cares whether or not you're gay.
    Well that's very naive - you think the homophobes from school don't ever leave it? They're only in school, and homophobia doesn't exist in the real world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Well that's very naive - you think the homophobes from school don't ever leave it? They're only in school, and homophobia doesn't exist in the real world?
    I think the point is, you don't have all the immature idiots in Uni (or at least not as many) compared to as at school who will react if they knew you were gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Aaron-)
    I think the point is, you don't have all the immature idiots in Uni (or at least not as many) compared to as at school who will react if they knew you were gay.
    Depends.

WHICH Uni do you go to OP? If it's LSBU I'd wear a shield.

It's just that I've got the point where I really want to meet someone crushing on straight guys does take it's toll after a while! trying and liking it is not the problem - I know that I probably would, it's just trying to get past that barrier of not bothering about people knowing that I like guys too, after so many years of hiding it very very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    Depends.

It's in the first line of their post.

ReputationRep:
    http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-11-06-Gay.jpg
    Unless these folks are about, nothing to fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    Depends.

southampton - he/she says?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's just that I've got the point where I really want to meet someone crushing on straight guys does take it's toll after a while! trying and liking it is not the problem - I know that I probably would, it's just trying to get past that barrier of not bothering about people knowing that I like guys too, after so many years of hiding it very very well.
    I told you - trench coat and ski mask. Keeps some mystery in romance.

ReputationRep:
    I go to southampton too - so far I think it's a really great uni! I think you'll be fine. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    What is a bunfight? :lolwut: I pictured a literal fight with hotcross buns and iced buns etc :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    just go once. if you don't like it, don't go again. i'm sure everyone will be friendly. use uni as an opportunity to reinvent yourself!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.