Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone take fluoxetine/prozac/etc ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone take fluoxetine/prozac/etc ? It makes me feel very very bad, my stomach curls up and tingles, I sleep _all_ the time.

I just thought that I'd post here before I went back to my psy. It might be new term effects, or something

Any advice is great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you've only taken it very recently then these are normal side-effects. You will probably feel sleepy everyday and experience vivid dreams, this is normal. It can take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to the side-effects. Fluoxetine itself also takes time to work (approx 6 weeks for the medication to work, if you're taking it for anxiety/depression).

Best wishes.

ReputationRep:
    Why at Coventry uni?

ReputationRep:
    Yh I take it the side effects are quite bad in the beginning but its supposed to get better in 6 -8 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Wow quick [email protected]#

Okay, thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Why at Coventry uni?
    What do you mean "Why at Coventry uni? " ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)
    What do you mean "Why at Coventry uni? " ?
    I think he means why have you posted this in the Coventry Uni subforum... It'd be better placed in H&R tbh. :erm:

I'll get it moved.

ReputationRep:
    im guessing you have only been on it for about 4 days and you are in a panic like a prozac noob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    im guessing you have only been on it for about 4 days and you are in a panic like a prozac noob
    Pretty accurate assumption there lazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)
    I think its 8 weeks that it takes prozac to properly start to work right. I would however tell your doctor just so they know about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)
    Does anyone take fluoxetine/prozac/etc ? It makes me feel very very bad, my stomach curls up and tingles, I sleep _all_ the time.

I just thought that I'd post here before I went back to my psy. It might be new term effects, or something

Hi there. My friend was on it and she also slept all the time - with her it didn't go away so she went back to the doc and got something else. See your doc if you still feel this way in another week - don't leave it any longer cause you don't have to suffer, if it doesn't suit you there's lots of other meds you can take instead. Just don't suffer in silence if you are worried talk to the doc. Hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)

nah, i know someone who does though.
    they don't have any side-effects that i know of so they got off lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)

I took that for a while, it was awful. Really really really really awful. Only took it a few days and was like **** this. :p:

If the side effects are particularly bad then just ask to go on another one. It's not like there aren't a load of different ones which all do pretty much the same thing just different people tend to suit certain ones better than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was on fluoxetine for a year. It is a prozac based med. It takes 4-8 weeks to work (changes person to person). I had side effects for about four months with motion sickness, but that gradual eased off.
    A lot of people on fluox. get side effects, but the majority of them people only have them for a couple of weeks while your body gets used to the drugs
    For most people the side effects are too bad, (compared to some antipsychotics which can give you a fatal blood disease!) and like I said, wear off. However, some people do have fairly bad reactions to them, and you can just ask your doctor to try another brand

ReputationRep:
    I'm on fluoxetine. I changed from Citalopram because it made me feel really low.. Been taking it for nearly a month and I feel really sleepy also but I'm due to go back to the doctor to get my next prescription anyway and they ask you when you go how your feeling so just mention how you have been feeling ...

ReputationRep:
    I got side effects for the first couple of weeks of taking it. After that my condition's not been so bad. But I've been off them for about a week and these "side effects" are coming back in the form of withdrawal symptoms. So watch out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.