Turn on thread page Beta

would any of you accept a £6 an hour job as a maid temporarily after your degree if u watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Run3scap3r)
    Laugh out loud, maybe as a last resort.
    Oh sorry, I forgot that we all go into 28k a year graduate schemes at Deloittes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabrookes)
    You should have your cv done, so you can easily apply for all the jobs possible in less than 30 mins a day. And you wont be getting that many interviews, so it is mostly sitting at home doing nothing.

Could show a little respect for your family by getting that tempory job and offering money as well, seeing as though they are providing a roof over your head.
    I think you are underestimating what is involved with applying for a graduate level job. Most of them will say they do not accept CVs for starters, and you have to complete their forms and answer their competency questions. If you just spend half an hour every day sending out your CVs to every job possible then you aren't going to get very far.

Aside from whether the low paid job is a maid/factory work/shop assistant etc I think there is a point to be made here. IMO a graduate will do better if they take a couple of months at least focusing full time on job search, sign on to get some dole money coming in, don't get into the habit of dossing around, long lie ins etc, get up with a disciplined routine, apply for jobs, keep in touch with your careers centre from uni, go to interviews/assessment centres etc - all round you have to go all out if you want to get a graduate level job. If you work long hours on a low paid job then you won't have the energy or motivation to dedicate properly to it.

The other problem, and I have seen this happen, is when you get people who take menial jobs, they end up getting trapped into them. I've seen graduates with decent degrees, who graduated in 2007 and 2008, who went on to work in coffee shops or shoe shops, and are still there now. Over time these jobs can have a negative effect on your CV.

Obviously if you can't get a job after a couple of months then you need to start lowering your expectations and looking for something, but the trap of non-graduate jobs is something that you need to be very wary of. I'd like to see the statistics of all those graduates who don't have a graduate job 6 months after graduating, how many of them ever get a graduate job....?

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with u MagicNMedicine....some of the graduates out there given a maids job would not take it after uni as a temp job...i personally wld rather part time volunteer and the rest of the time job seek and improve my cv...i dont think it's stupid or childish to stay at home for a while if you or your family aren't struggling financially

ReputationRep:
    A job's a job.

ReputationRep:
    better than being an unemployed bum with not enough money to buy a pint of milk

ReputationRep:
    i already make WAY more than £6 working from home now
    probably more than i could make from getting a degree so i dont know why im bothering with doin some stupid english course

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, as long as I can pay for basic rent and living allowance, ultimately I would initially be seeking experience and skill development. It's those factors that would put be off being a cleaner than the issue of pay. It's not relevant to what I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if I needed it. I've done housekeeping before (in a hospital), I'm already familiar with it.

ReputationRep:
    so why not just work for yourself instead? and actually make some real money?

ReputationRep:
    i work in housekeeping anyways... whats so wrong with being a maid!?

ReputationRep:
    Heated debate? wow i guess u aint got anything better to do in your life, how can you even have a debate on that?

ReputationRep:
    I accepted a job at £5.50 an hour after graduation. So yes, I would.
    I had to fight to get it to £6 as well :rolleyes:
    The job market is a disgrace, but my job allows me to live where I want, have my own life and away from my parents, so I class it as a necessity.
    I think in this day and age you need a job, whatever it is, to allow you to feel/be independant. A necessity in my eyes!

ReputationRep:
    No, mostly because I spent a day cleaning rooms in a hotel as part of work experience and that one day almost killed me =P

ReputationRep:
    I get paid more working as a nurse assistant right now than i will when i graduate and start work in August '12, i even get more than double the average F1 when i work on a Sunday
    But i dislike the work, but when you need money you gotta do what you gotta do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MixedUp)
    iv just had a heated 3 hour debate with two friends about whether they would accept a job as a maid after uni if they didnt get a job straight away...the job would be temporary but would you still accept it knowing you can live with rents for a short period till you get a job suited to ur degree!???

please post ur comments and views!!!!!
    Well I think it would be a disgrace for a student from a good uni having to do a menial job like that. Yes it is temporary, but the student should be able to walk into a good job and not waste their time doing something below their abilities.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather make a bit more money and do it naked...

ReputationRep:
    Heck I'd do for the rest of my life. Though ideally I would prefer to do it part time so I could some money to give to my parents then I could use the extra time to improve qualifications for a better job.

ReputationRep:
    no... im fortunate enough to have parents who can support me ... although i wouldnt feel comfortable with them paying my rent, i wouldnt accept a job as a maid. I could ofcourse go live with them for a while, or in one of our other apartments.

ReputationRep:
    I've promised myself i would never do anything related to manual work, so no.

I'd rather be a temp in an office of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.