Turn on thread page Beta

Do you feel pressurised to look good? watch

ReputationRep:
    You have to define 'pressure' first. I mean I can leave the house/go to Uni, have banter with my friends without wearing expensive clothes or any make up. I do wear make up though and the only time I feel 'pressure' (if that is the right word to describe it) is when I get horrid looks from the rah/yah/rahrahs who wear layers, makes me feel like i'm doing it wrong.

I put make up on because it looks good but sometimes I can lack confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily at my school most girls didn't really care too much; I went to an all-girls school so they weren't too worried about impressing guys. No one really gave anyone a hard time for not making an effort either.

I try and look good because it makes me feel more confident, and I put on a bit of makeup and do my hair in the mornings, but I never spend more than £10 on cosmetics a month and don't let it affect how I enjoy my day too much. It's not the most important thing in my life.

ReputationRep:
    On nights out, yes I feel a self-conscious if I've not made an effort. Not that I spend much on fashion or make up, at all. I just wear what looks nice tbh, so what if it's not absolutely up to the minute. At work obviously I have to look smart, but since I mainly work in primary schools I don't feel like it's a fashion parade.

ReputationRep:
    Nahhhh I'm far too lazy to bother, I make no effort each morning - simply shove on any clothes I find and whack a bit of mascara on.
    I think I still look good though, I may not be wearning uber fashionable clothes or have my hair done perfectly but I'm happy with how I look and the guys don't seem to mind either

ReputationRep:
    well i do put effort in every time i go out to lectures etc, the only time i really do make a lot of effort is on nights out, but my hair is annoying it always reverts back to a mess 2 hours after ive spent half an hour doing it all up!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I make an effort anyway as I feel much more comfortable when I know look good. Just self-consciousness I guess..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paula.a)
    always, i got to school were there are pretty skinny girls everywhere you turn, im a bit bigger and i get really self conscious coz boys just flock to these girls and you i need 2 step up my game but i still wont help
    girl, you should be proud of how you are! Rock your curves! Pretty doesn't mean skinny or fat or medium...its about how u feel about urself and portray it! I used to feel that way before but now I'm happy how i am, i think i'm an average sized person but my bust and hips are fairly large..personally I think clothes look better on you when you can actually fill them out nicely..:yep: think about all your good points and work on that and flaunt them . Try wearing wrap dresses...they look great on curvy people!n

ReputationRep:
    Who doesn't? :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    i don't feel pressured because i'm alright looking and have some nice clothes. I just be myself i don't get upset or self-conscious wen i see beautiful people.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont wear make up and im not into fashion, im also fat and i live in football shirts so yeah im well into looking good :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I wear makeup because it looks nice but this is probably a façade and i infact wear makeup purely because society tells me to. Or something.

ReputationRep:
    I try and make myself look good but I usually fail ahah

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I definitely feel the pressure but don't really give into it, usually because I cba. If I'm waking up at 6am to go to school/into town for work I honestly cba putting a full face of make up on, and I never do just my eyes or just my lips because that makes me feel even less confident. For a night out or occasion when I know there will be lots of beautiful girls I definitely make an effort, otherwise I wouldn't feel confident.

ReputationRep:
    I always look good tbh. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    I try to look good because it makes me feel better, not because I'm under pressure from society or anyone else to do it. It's just a personal thing for me.

ReputationRep:
    I try my best, I never look great but I put make up on and straighten my hair. I don't dress up every day but I don't go out in trainers and tracksuit bottoms either.

ReputationRep:
    nope.

Dont get me wrong though, i'm not gonna go out looking like i've been dragged through a hedge backwards either. I just dont see the point in putting on tonnes of makeup and trying to be someone i'm not just to fit in :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.
    Most of my friends wear make-up and generally look good and I don't want to be the "odd one out".
    Also I've been wearing make-up since I was 13ish so am pretty much used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I make the effort if I'm going out anywhere and will spend money on new clothes and stuff when I feel like it/need to.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.