Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you feel pressurised to look good? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't spend loads on looking good, but I make an effort. If you don't make an effort then what sort of image are you presenting to people around you? Appearance is everything these days. That doesn't mean you have to be perfect, just a little effort e.g wear clean clothes, regular showers, maintain hair etc then it goes a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Don't wear makeup, only brush my hair after it's been washed (it's realllly long-takes ages to brush) 9 out of ten times it goes into a high bun on my head. Hoodie. Leggings. Done...and yet still people seem to think I look okay so....happy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure, but I don't often give in to pressure. :ahee:

Also, girls without makeup are always always superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JubJub211)
    walking past beautiful girls and guys and get self conscious but then I get to a place where there's no one or the people are elderly/not as beautiful and I feel relieved to get out of the make up fest.

Yes! I wouldn't say I was exactly ugly, but I am, lets just say not at my slimmest at the mo. and it does get me down!
    Especially at uni, there are like no over weight people at Bath uni... seriously!!! Everyone is so slim and gorgeous. Oh well, not a lot I can do, just get on with life and be as happy as possible I suppose

ReputationRep:
    I do feel very self conscious around people who are physically attractive, but I never spend a lot of money on clothes or shoes or make up. I prefer to spend it on books and music as these mean more to me than looking nice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel under pressure to look good from anyone other than myself.

ReputationRep:
    People take this sort of thing far too seriously, it doesn't make that much difference in the end.

I just wear what is comfortable and practical, (and usually inconspicuous and nondescript).

ReputationRep:
    i donet ned ptessure! im justy natuaelly good haha

ReputationRep:
    I make an effort for myself. But I admittedly at times feel competitive rather than pressured.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, without boasting i make sure i look good when i am going out and for college.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear much make-up, just a little bit, but even when I haven't alloted much time for my appearance, I know that my confidence and certainly my mood shouldn't depend on the people around me, because I am who I am and other people don't have anything to say about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opinionscount66)
    Don't wear makeup, only brush my hair after it's been washed (it's realllly long-takes ages to brush) 9 out of ten times it goes into a high bun on my head. Hoodie. Leggings. Done...and yet still people seem to think I look okay so....happy.
    They probably think it's OK because that style is :sogood: Girls making what could be viewed as the usual effort (such as full make up, nice tops, dresses etc) is good too but the "hoodie look" can be just as appealing. :yes:
    You see it quite often now though, so it's hard to tell which girls have actually spent time trying to get that look and which ones have it unintentionally.

I'd hate to be a girl with all the hair straightening and make up wearing etc that needs to be done in order to generally be viewed as "looking good". Boys have a relatively small amount of things to work with in comparison, thankfully.

I don't make an effort (for example wearing what could be regarded as fashionable clothes and styling my hair) but I like to think I don't look like an absolute wreck either, if that makes sense. I don't really
    feel under pressure as such (as you can tell what clothes are appropriate for which situations) but I can get self conscious when I see other people (both boys and girls) who look like they have made an effort when I haven't.

You wonder whether they are thinking "he doesn't care what he is wearing, fair play to him" or "oh dear " but most of the time, they probably aren't even taking notice.

ReputationRep:
    I feel pressure to look good, but that's due to my personality and putting pressure on myself. I'm not bothered about other people thinking I look good, as I prescribe to different standards of beauty than most.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel any pressure to wear makeup, I just do it out of fun and because I look better with it (and I have acne, so it's nice to hide that as well). That said, it makes me sad that I make effort with my looks, yet guys are still too idiotic to notice me :rolleyes:. I seem to live in some upside down place anyway :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I do some things but I don't make a big deal about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.