Turn on thread page Beta

Does it matter which university you go to? watch

ReputationRep:
    You read of all these famous theoretical physicists and researchers and doctors. Come to think of it, does it really matter where you actually go for undergraduate studies?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you noticed the universities these famous theoretical physicists and researchers and doctors attended?

Study at whichever uni you want to

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're all the great universities. But you can be just as clever and go to a different university.. people just.. tend not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP1989)
    Haven't you noticed the universities these famous theoretical physicists and researchers and doctors attended?
    it's not always la creme de la creme universities, there are some normal ones. for example, sheffield and oxford.

ReputationRep:
    so does it mean, that if you go to an average university, you won't prosper as much as someone in a different university?

ReputationRep:
    The top 25 don't really matter. Also remember that there are many things more important than where you get a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, going to a good uni helps

ReputationRep:
    I believe that anyone with the right drive and determination can achieve, but being at a top university would give you a headstart.

But that doesn't mean to say that some people in lower ranked unis don't do better than those in higher ranked- because that's simply not true!

ReputationRep:
    What are you asking? What field or career options are you referring to? What subjects are you talking about or do you mean all of them? What famous physicists, doctors and researchers are you alluding to? Sheffield and Oxford are not the creme de la creme??? :crazy:

Do you go to University of East London or London Met? If not, then why so vague? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The reason why people choose top universities is because of people. You get to meet bright people there and interact with them. That's where the learning comes about!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it does, and this is really the wrong forum to ask since most of the members are 18 year olds who either haven't started uni or are just starting. Ask people who have graduated.

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter which university you do your undergrad at if you're planning to do a postgrad afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    What are you asking? What field or career options are you referring to? What subjects are you talking about or do you mean all of them? What famous physicists, doctors and researchers are you alluding to? Sheffield and Oxford are not the creme de la creme??? :crazy:

Do you go to University of East London or London Met? If not, then why so vague? :confused:

haha
    i meant the difference between someone going to sheffield and someone going to oxford, studying the same subjects, does it mean necessarily that the one at oxford would be more intelligent or that he/she would actually make a difference in the chosen field.
    sorry for being so vague, it's just something that popped into my head.

what im trying to ask is, to make a difference in your field of study (could be anything but what i'm thinking of is something in the medical sciences region) would you be limited to do so if you went somewhere not in the top 10.

It depends on what you wish to do. If you wish to go into investment banking, it seems that a degree from Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc helps substantially. But if you wish to remain in academia, then no, it does not matter. All that matters is that you perform well in your degree - preferably attaining a 2.1 or a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    I don't think it does, and this is really the wrong forum to ask since most of the members are 18 year olds who either haven't started uni or are just starting. Ask people who have graduated.

they would know if the research opportunities available to students is only in the top 5 universities, or more

ReputationRep:
    i think its cos there clever and talented and hard working in the first place that they can get in to the top unis, not the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't know, obviously because I haven't even started university yet. But it is something worrying me, none of the universities I am applying for are very high up, Lancaster being the best place I'm applying for and I'm not too sure they will give me an offer :/

But the view I'm taking on it is that yes it probably would help you stand out when applying for jobs, but I guess it's mainly down to the classification of your degree, and applying for jobs within your reach. So I don't think it's something to fret over, but in saying that I'm not going to apply to York St John any more purely because its not a particularly good university

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what kind of University experience you're looking for.
    But for me, if you want a good degree and a good experience, choose a Uni that has a course you'll enjoy, is probably in the top 20 and in a location you can imagine spending the next 3/4 years of your life in...

ReputationRep:
    yes it does

unless you are some kind of genius but i think there is only one genius in about 60 million and even then they rarely use their genius

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.