Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If money wasn't an issue, would you have cosmetic surgery? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got do research on why so many people are resorting to plastic surgery, so i've got a few questions

Female

16-18
    18-21
    21+

If money wasn't an issue would you have cosmetic surgery?

If so, what reason would you have surgery? (self-confidence,girl/boyfriend, career prospects, etc)

Which cosmetic surgery are you more likely to have? (breast impants,rhinoplastry)

What factors make you think of resorting to surgery? (media,friends,celebrities,etc.)

Rate your self-confidence on a scale of 1-10

Thank-you

ReputationRep:
    Yesyesyesyes

Female, 18-21
    Totally
    Because my face looks weird
    Rhinoplasty!!!
    Because you can't reshape your nose with make-up.
    umm 6 on a really good day, 3-4 on a normal day I guess :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Male
    18-21
    Yes
    Self-confidence/my own benefits, really. I seem to be the only one that cares!
    Nose job. Although if money really was no object there are possibly another two things I'd consider but won't write here...
    IDK really. Celebs I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Female
    18-21
    Probably not
    If I had any it would be for my benefit only.
    I dont want anything done.

Confidence on a scale of 1 to 10 is about 5/6 without make up and 7/8 with make up!

ReputationRep:
    male 18-21
    Yes
    Uhm 'cause it looks weird.
    I have a tooth missing in my upper jaw line. This means my teeth are out of place and there is a visible gap. I would have this fixed.

While my face probably isn't perfect there are no physical abnormalities. I don't really see the issue with correcting something that is abnormal.

ReputationRep:
    Female
    16-18

No

If so, what reason would you have surgery? (self-confidence,girl/boyfriend, career prospects, etc)
    The reason I wouldn't is because there's nothing on my body I hate enough to go through surgery to change e.g. I would like bigger boobs, but I'd rather have smaller real ones, than bigger fake ones.

Which cosmetic surgery are you more likely to have? (breast impants,rhinoplastry)
    n/a

What factors make you think of resorting to surgery? (media,friends,celebrities,etc.)
    The only reason I ever would, would be corrective. So for myself only, not because of influence from others.

About 9

ReputationRep:
    Male 21+
    No - money is only a minor issue when considering surgery. What about risk?
    Not unless I suffered a serious disfigurement that made daily life intolerable
    -
    -

ReputationRep:

yes

If so, what reason would you have surgery? self-improvement.

Research shows that people who have cosmetic surgery do actually end up happier than before the operation. And its one of the few things that has a lasting effect on self reported happiness, its not something you just adapt to and forget ever happened (like buying a new house or a new car).

Better looking people do better in their careers too because most people unconsciously perceive good looking people as more trustworthy and likeable. I disagree with all the vanity and image consciousness in the mass media but considering the evidence, and assuming you had a good surgeon who would do a good job, it probably would make you happier and more successful in the long run.

I wouldn't tell my friends I had it done though. I would lie and say I got hit by a car and had to have my face reconstructed

Which cosmetic surgery are you more likely to have? teeth and/or nose

What factors make you think of resorting to surgery? * I'd be happy without it but it's being offered for free. All other things being equal, being better looking would probably improve my life a little bit.

Rate your self-confidence on a scale of 1-10 8

* resort is quite a loaded word. You might lose marks for this because its going to bias the outcome of the survey?

ReputationRep:
    Female
    18-21
    No
    -
    -
    -
    7/8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidelity_blue)
    Female
    16-18

No

The reason I wouldn't is because there's nothing on my body I hate enough to go through surgery to change e.g. I would like bigger boobs, but I'd rather have smaller real ones, than bigger fake ones.

n/a

The only reason I ever would, would be corrective. So for myself only, not because of influence from others.

About 9
    At most a 7, love.

ReputationRep:
    Female
    18-21

If money wasn't an issue would you have cosmetic surgery? YES.

If so, what reason would you have surgery? Self confidence a career prospects (it's been proven that prettier people are more likely to get jobs).

Which cosmetic surgery are you more likely to have? Liposuction, and then surgery to get rid of loose skin etc.

What factors make you think of resorting to surgery? Quicker than going on a diet.. and if it was free then why not!

Rate your self-confidence on a scale of 1-10.. ermm about 3. seriously.

ReputationRep:
    - Female, 18.
    - I might have a nose job. When I was little I got bullied about having a big nose, but then my face kind of changed as I grew up and it doesn't seem so big now. But I'd still like it to be smaller.
    - I'd just like to have a smaller nose.
    - On a scale of 1-10, I'd say about a 7.

ReputationRep:
    Female
    18-21

No, I wouldn't. I don't really know why though, I'm not particularly attractive or anything.
    Although I'd say my self-confidence is fairly high (maybe 8 ish). That's nothing to do with how I look though, more to do with how I feel about myself generally.

ReputationRep:
    Female

18-21 (just, I turn 22 soon)

Hell yes.

Self confidence

rhinoplasty

celebs, media, looking at other people with perfect noses and wishing I had it!

ReputationRep:
    Female
    21+ (I don't like this category :p:)

I wouldn't have cosmetic surgery. I'm not horribly shaped in any way so why change it?! If i'm feeling fat i'll go to the gym... maybe :ninja:
    I appreciate that people do have it though. My mother has had a fair bit of cosmetic work done and it does look good, but I personally wouldn't part with the money - I'd rather go on holiday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren.mariie)
    I've got do research on why so many people are resorting to plastic surgery, so i've got a few questions

Female

16-18
    18-21
    21+

Thank-you
    Male
    No, not even if I was Bill Gates.
    -
    -
    -
    Erm self confidence: 7-8? Yea I'll go with 8.

ReputationRep:
    Female

16-18
    18-21
    21+

If money wasn't an issue would you have cosmetic surgery? Yes

Self confidence and so I could clothes shop properly. At the moment I'm almost completely flat chested, due to a medical condition, which can make it hard to buy pretty dresses.

Breast implants

Friends making fun of me. And it's just embarrassing to be as flat chested as I am.

5 or 6.

ReputationRep:
    Female.
    Age 16-18.

No

ReputationRep:

Yes

I hate my nose so I think having a nose job would make me feel a lot more confident in myself, if someone is staring at me I KNOW it's because they're thinking how disgusting my nose is.

Rhinoplasty

Just me, my family don't want me to have it and I don't really care about celebrities, I just want to feel good about myself without worry about people staring at my nose

Honestly? 2 or 3 looks wise.

I feel more confident about my work abilities, but I get very down on myself that people are looking at my nose or worry that my pupils will comment on my nose and I will get really upset in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    Male
    21+
    Already had C.Surgery, and if went back in time would have again.
    Otoplasty
    Reasons? Confidence, didn't like having something majorly wrong
    Confidence now? 9... before surgery? 2

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.