Turn on thread page Beta

TSR BOOTCAMP, Numero Tres! - Let's Be Hot In 2011 watch

(Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Sorry :o:

I could have had something with some nutrients in though couldn't I? Silly me.
    You should have things with less sodium because sodium makes you gain weight also you should have bananas if you have had so much sodium as it cuts it out and bananas are good for weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unborn-soul)
    You should have things with less sodium because sodium makes you gain weight also you should have bananas if you have had so much sodium as it cuts it out and bananas are good for weight loss.
    And bananas have **** loads of sugar. Sugar is involved in weight/loss gain right? Swings and roundabouts.

(Original post by Shawshank)
    And bananas have **** loads of sugar. Sugar is involved in weight/loss gain right? Swings and roundabouts.
    Bananas have potassium which leads to weight loss.

Sugar doesn't always give you weight gain as it hardly has sodium. Weight gain happens depending on the amount of sodium consumed. So when you keep track of calories also keep track of sodium.

ReputationRep:
    Lol so sodium is the only thing determining weight loss? Ok then. :awesome:

Simply unless you're losing your last small amount of weight calories out>calories in and you will lose.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I am asthmatic. :p: It turned out fine in the end - we did the induction in groups and only had to do a little bit of exercise. I was actually aright doing exercise in the gym because the air was warm, whereas I'm always walking in the cold. I'm recovering from my cold quite quickly now so by Monday I'm going to start a proper routine.
    Goood glad it went well.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    How many calories a day do the ladies eat?
    About 1000. But then if I've done excerise I'll eat about 1200-1400.

ReputationRep:
    Bananas have potassium which leads to weight loss.

Sugar doesn't always give you weight gain as it hardly has sodium. Weight gain happens depending on the amount of sodium consumed. So when you keep track of calories also keep track of sodium.
    Where do you get your information from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    It does sound like something Cosmo mag might say.

In fact, I can't really find anything about that doing a quick google-fu. Some sites say it's a good weight-loss food because it's low-fat and it's healthy but I'm not seeing anything linking the potassium to weight loss.

Edit: A-ha! Found a site talking about it: http://www.weightloss.com.au/article...eight-loss.htm

"Potassium and weight loss

Because Potassium helps us to build muscles, helps our muscles work properly and helps us convert the food we eat into energy, it is particularly important to those of us who have weight loss goals.

Bigger muscles burn more calories, so by helping us to build slightly bigger and stronger muscles, Potassium has a direct impact in helping us to turn our bodies into calorie burning machines.

By helping to provide the energy we need, helping our muscles (including our heart) work efficiently and effectively and ensuring a proper balance of electrolytes, Potassium helps us exercise daily, which is critically important to anyone wanting to shed a few unwanted kilos."

I have honestly never heard any of that before, and usually I've heard just about every bit of weird diet advice.

ReputationRep:
    Really good article on all that is wrong with US food guidelines and so on. Ours are pretty much the same so it applies to us as well. It's pretty long but I found it an interesting read.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article...02893/fulltext

ReputationRep:
    Gym in an hour (had a busy afternoon but the gym should be quiet soon...)

(Original post by MattGriff)
    My sister told me.

ReputationRep:
    Hope it's not too late to join...

MHorman, male 19
    Weight: 10.5 stone ( i think, will see if there is scales at the gym so i can check regularly)
    Height: 5'8"
    Waist: 30 inches
    Reason: To get generally fitter
    Goals: To get fitter, maybe a sprint triathalon or 5/10k run early next year if i can find one...
    Special Remarks: I'm going to spinning classes twice a week , ish, as well as mountain biking/running/cycling on other days...

ReputationRep:
    My sister told me.
    Reliable

(Original post by Shawshank)
    Reliable
    ]
    She read it somewhere :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, i just joined this thread and thought it would be people posting updates on workouts and weights etc....

My plan for tomorrow is go for a spin class in the gym for 45 mins at 11 and then going out cycling afterwards. The only reason i'm going cycling is i want to go to brighton(4 miles away) and paying 2.50 for the bus all the time is adding up... If the weather is nice i may do a nice casual afternoon of exploring on the bike on the roads. Cycling = brilliant exercise.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with bananas in my book.

They also help prevent cramps (again because of the potassium).

Maybe the thing about salt and bananas is something to do with the Na and K pumps or whatever?

edit: Nutrients http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...odspice&dbid=7
    The Na, K pump thing... the potassium moves in and salt moves out of the cell, maybe so it can then be excreted out of the body??

ReputationRep:
    Only did 20 minutes on the cross trainer, only wanted to do enough to help me sleep. I'm going to do more tomorrow morning.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.