Turn on thread page Beta

TSR BOOTCAMP, Numero Tres! - Let's Be Hot In 2011 watch

ReputationRep:
    Went to the gym for 2 hours yesterday without realising it was that long. Until I got home and felt like I had nothing left inside. Lol.

Do personal trainers usually come and talk to you/give you advice and then attempt to lure you into them being your PT? I'm sure I've never seen it happen in the 3 years I've been using gyms, but it did yesterday... to me.

ReputationRep:
    Spent 20 minutes rowing (on a machine) earlier. I still hurt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Went to the gym for 2 hours yesterday without realising it was that long. Until I got home and felt like I had nothing left inside. Lol.

Do personal trainers usually come and talk to you/give you advice and then attempt to lure you into them being your PT? I'm sure I've never seen it happen in the 3 years I've been using gyms, but it did yesterday... to me.
    I've never seen that before, but then again i only go the uni gym and i paid for the gold membership so i get to talk to the personal trainers included anyway. They always run the spinning classes i go to and it's only been a month or so but starting to get to know them.

In other news, i went running today, first time in a month and a half or so.

I prefer cycling lately because i get to go further but upon analysis on my previous workouts i've realised i workout a lot harder(higher heart rate etc).

I only ran, just under 3k and had one break to walk for about 10 seconds, mainly because there was a crowd of people. It was good, when i used to run i used to get shin splints and even then i used to walk half the time and run the other half, ran 95% of the time today.

Average heart rate was 172 Max of 192.

Reckon my average would be better if i warmed up better before starting the heart rate app on the phone.

I got it up from 60 sitting at the computer to 100 by running down the stairs it goes up to like 150 as soon as i start running...

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

Joining this :awesome: Rugby player here. Casual at the moment, but wanting to take it up a notch, and the only way to do that is to shake some niggly weight and get faster!

So I'm starting my little diet and my epic exercise programme.

Here's a question - I already do rugby 4 days a week, is it cool to do something every single day? I'm thinking things like a 30 min slow jog on the day after a match just to shake some of the stiffness away and keep myself ticking over etc. Shouldn't be too hard on the muscles I hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Hello all!

Joining this :awesome: Rugby player here. Casual at the moment, but wanting to take it up a notch, and the only way to do that is to shake some niggly weight and get faster!

So I'm starting my little diet and my epic exercise programme.

Here's a question - I already do rugby 4 days a week, is it cool to do something every single day? I'm thinking things like a 30 min slow jog on the day after a match just to shake some of the stiffness away and keep myself ticking over etc. Shouldn't be too hard on the muscles I hope!

Hello :wave:

The answer to that depends on how intense your rugby training is.

I'm not going to be sexist but i see you're female and i've seen a female rugby team practise before and they just did rugby drills for 20 mins and then a game for like 30 mins then called it a day. When i used to be on the guys team, and this was like 5 years ago, we used to be out for like 2 hours with half an hour of general fitness stuff like sprints/pushups etc.

If your rugby workouts are very intense then you'll probably need the other days off as recovery days. Although you could do more exercise immediately after rugby, like a nice jog home or something after?That way you'd still have a day off to recover before your next training thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Hello :wave:

The answer to that depends on how intense your rugby training is.

I'm not going to be sexist but i see you're female and i've seen a female rugby team practise before and they just did rugby drills for 20 mins and then a game for like 30 mins then called it a day. When i used to be on the guys team, and this was like 5 years ago, we used to be out for like 2 hours with half an hour of general fitness stuff like sprints/pushups etc.

If your rugby workouts are very intense then you'll probably need the other days off as recovery days. Although you could do more exercise immediately after rugby, like a nice jog home or something after?That way you'd still have a day off to recover before your next training thing.
    Hi! Cheers for the reply.

We train 2 hours at a time, so 3 days a week we train for 2 hours and the 4th day is a match. It's relatively intesnse I suppose.

But jogging to and from training/doing something afterwards sounds like a nice idea, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Hi! Cheers for the reply.

We train 2 hours at a time, so 3 days a week we train for 2 hours and the 4th day is a match. It's relatively intesnse I suppose.

But jogging to and from training/doing something afterwards sounds like a nice idea, thanks!
    No worries.

My waving emote failed though...I'll try again...
    :wavey:

And remember, if i helped then...

I miss having 10 gems of rep from last week... It just looks sad as one gem.

ReputationRep:
    Name: Lead Pipes A Fortune Made (female)
    Weight: 8st 7
    Height: 5'6" & a half
    Dress Size: 8 usually sometimes 10
    Bust: 34 inches
    Waist: 28 inches
    Hips: 32.5 inches
    Reason: Want to fit comfortably back into by 6/8s, get rid of tummy gained over the holidays by all that sendentary revision =/
    Goals: Waist 26", Weight 8st
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi Everyone

Was on the previous thread but didn't keep track However, currently 81kg and want to drop to about 75kg by the end of the year. Burnt 730 Calories today at the gym

ReputationRep:
    Name: blahhhhh (male)
    Weight: 12 stone 5 lbs
    Height: 182cm
    Dress Size: 20
    Bust: 36DDD
    Waist: 33 inches
    Hips: 45 inches
    Reason: want a six pack innit not a one pack
    Goals: 11 stone 5 lbs by the end of the year

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, have looked up the sodium weight gain idea that arose a few pages back... googled this (okay these weren't prehaps the BEST sources), and it seems that yes, althuogh high sodium intake DOES make you gain weight it is only water weight (and high carb intake acts likewise apparently). Sooo at least it doesn't actually make you gain fat, it transpires which i'm defnitely happy about due to my shockingly high sodium diet (I dislike salty things generally and NEVER salt my food, but an overreliance on quorn and other veggie ready meals and dolmio sauces messes things all up).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made)
    Hmm, have looked up the sodium weight gain idea that arose a few pages back... googled this (okay these weren't prehaps the BEST sources), and it seems that yes, althuogh high sodium intake DOES make you gain weight it is only water weight (and high carb intake acts likewise apparently). Sooo at least it doesn't actually make you gain fat, it transpires which i'm defnitely happy about due to my shockingly high sodium diet (I dislike salty things generally and NEVER salt my food, but an overreliance on quorn and other veggie ready meals and dolmio sauces messes things all up).
    Lots of people have a high in-take of salt daily and don't even know! Well done doing the research, someone must have had some free time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made)
    and high carb intake acts likewise apparently.
    It is a ratio of approx 4g of water will be retained for 1g carbs

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen that before, but then again i only go the uni gym and i paid for the gold membership so i get to talk to the personal trainers included anyway. They always run the spinning classes i go to and it's only been a month or so but starting to get to know them.

In other news, i went running today, first time in a month and a half or so.

I prefer cycling lately because i get to go further but upon analysis on my previous workouts i've realised i workout a lot harder(higher heart rate etc).

I only ran, just under 3k and had one break to walk for about 10 seconds, mainly because there was a crowd of people. It was good, when i used to run i used to get shin splints and even then i used to walk half the time and run the other half, ran 95% of the time today.

Average heart rate was 172 Max of 192.

Reckon my average would be better if i warmed up better before starting the heart rate app on the phone.

I got it up from 60 sitting at the computer to 100 by running down the stairs it goes up to like 150 as soon as i start running...
    Hmm I was just wondering why me? He actually seems really good though - but I'm a student and PT is expensive.

Yay for running =D

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start rowing again :woo:

Can't really afford it but I miss it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Hmm I was just wondering why me? He actually seems really good though - but I'm a student and PT is expensive.

Yay for running =D
    PT are very good but as long as you've got sufficient motivation to go to the gym and the ability to read stuff on the internet to find out what to do they're not really needed tbh.

They're usful when you're training for a specific event for help/advice but you could easily come on here and ask and get help.

For example in the running thread there are people regularly running marathons/half marathons in there so they'd know a lot about training and their advice is free, well, you have to lclick on the little thumbs up afterwards, it costs a click...

And even then you don't have to click it...But it is nice when the experts come on to help.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.Joining this.
    Starting weight 118 kg.
    Current weight 116 kg.(had a few rebounds )
    Height 5'67

1hour and a half of epiliptical machine (1000 calorie workouts) 5 times a day
    a 1300 calorie a day diet
    and weight machines 3-4 times a week.

Good luck everyone.
    My goal: 16 kilos gone by Jan 2011.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Hello everyone.Joining this.
    Starting weight 118 kg.
    Current weight 116 kg.(had a few rebounds )
    Height 5'67

1hour and a half of epiliptical machine (1000 calorie workouts) 5 times a day
    a 1300 calorie a day diet
    and weight machines 3-4 times a week.

Good luck everyone.
    My goal: 16 kilos gone by Jan 2011.
    Hello

5 times a day? Or is that suppose to be week?

Or are you just very intence and burning over 5000 calories a day...?

ReputationRep:
    I have my gym induction today. Well nervous for some reason! But yay I can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

5 times a day? Or is that suppose to be week?

Or are you just very intence and burning over 5000 calories a day...?
    5 times a week sorry
    I do more than 1000 each time am at the gym.it's more around 1250 or so with the weight lifting and rowing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.