Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you go starbucks daily? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The other day, I popped into my local off-license as you do and noticed what looked like a box of cappucino sachets, 10 sachets to be precise. Now I like to indulge in a cup of coffee everyday meaning every week, I imbibe 7 cups of coffee.

I was just thinking the other day, how expensive starbucks are, imagine you go there daily as I used to and order a cup of cappucino at £1.99, thats about £14 a week. In comparison, if I bought these sachets instead which are £1 for 10, or 1 for 10p then I'd be making a saving of £13.30 everyweek!

Does anybody else drink at starbucks everyday?! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I did, but since moving to uni, there isn't one close by unless I go into the city centre

ReputationRep:
    I do go regularly-ish (like 1 or 2 mornings a week) and the people who i see every time i go are usually the business men people who can afford it and spend all their time on their laptop probably doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    No becuase that's just a waste of money. Every now and again for me.

ReputationRep:
    No way! It wouldn't be a treat if you have it every day, would it?

Plus there's the small issues of no having a Starbucks in my little town and the cost of it.

ReputationRep:
    frappaccino all day

Starbucks ftw

ReputationRep:
    I loathe Starbucks. Caffe Nero only. Also, the crap you get in sachets of instant 'capuccino' is barely even reminsicent of the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    I might start going to Costa at uni more regularly when I start but it's too expensive. I like to have a coffee most mornings so I buy a pot of Nescafe cos it works out even cheaper than the sachets.

ReputationRep:
    If they do, they are a moron. starbucks' coffee is a load of ass. but to expand this out, lets take into account the main coffee retailers and the good independents

For starters, starbucks' machines are superautos that cost thousands and thousands of pounds. add in the rent, cost of the beans and milk, utilities, furniture, other assorted overheads and you start to see why they charge £2 for a cup of coffee, especially given that they take prime locations which are expensive.

then take what it'd take to recreate this at home. You CANNOT get a proper capp out of a packet. it's impossible. that packet stuff tastes awful.

a rancilio silva machine with a rocky grinder will set you back about £6-700, though personally i'd get a nice masser burr grinder at £700 to go with the silva.

Your coffee will cost you between 5 and 10p per shot, then add in your power, the milk, plumbing the bad boy machine in, cleaning supplies, a couple of different portafilters, a tamper and tamping mat, knockbox, espresso shotglasses, and you're somewhere near getting that coffee shop experience at home.

by my estimation you'd spend £730 on starbucks' in a year, and probably a bit more on a domestic set up. Obv. the cost declines with use and over the years, but you're never going to save yourself that sort of money without going without that coffee, or trading down to some instant or the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    If they do, they are a moron. starbucks' coffee is a load of ass. but to expand this out, lets take into account the main coffee retailers and the good independents

For starters, starbucks' machines are superautos that cost thousands and thousands of pounds. add in the rent, cost of the beans and milk, utilities, furniture, other assorted overheads and you start to see why they charge £2 for a cup of coffee, especially given that they take prime locations which are expensive.

then take what it'd take to recreate this at home. You CANNOT get a proper capp out of a packet. it's impossible. that packet stuff tastes awful.

a rancilio silva machine with a rocky grinder will set you back about £6-700, though personally i'd get a nice masser burr grinder at £700 to go with the silva.

Your coffee will cost you between 5 and 10p per shot, then add in your power, the milk, plumbing the bad boy machine in, cleaning supplies, a couple of different portafilters, a tamper and tamping mat, knockbox, espresso shotglasses, and you're somewhere near getting that coffee shop experience at home.

by my estimation you'd spend £730 on starbucks' in a year, and probably a bit more on a domestic set up. Obv. the cost declines with use and over the years, but you're never going to save yourself that sort of money without going without that coffee, or trading down to some instant or the like.
    But if you're not that picky you can get cheaper grinders, and milk steamers aren't expensive. I have a little steamer that I use to make frothy hot chocolates and you can make cappuccino milk out of that easy peasy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    But if you're not that picky you can get cheaper grinders, and milk steamers aren't expensive. I have a little steamer that I use to make frothy hot chocolates and you can make cappuccino milk out of that easy peasy
    the cheapest way you are going to go to replicate a good capp is with a nespresso machine and aeroccino, at £150-200, plus £20-30p per cup for coffee. the point i was making though is that good coffee aint cheap, and cheap coffee aint good.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly caved the other day, but saw they were charging £2.10 for a cup of tea. There was a cafe down the street (nice place, not a greasy spoon) that charged £1.50 for a bigger mug of tea and even threw in a couple if biscuits.

Starbucks is nice (I hate to say it but it really is), but the place itself isn't enough to make up for the muc higher prices in my opinion.

My gf also asked a girl who worked their why it was more expensive to stay in than to take away, and she told me it was because we were paying for the atmosphere. I felt like headbutting her or either being extremely arrogant, or just very dumb.

ReputationRep:
    the cheapest way you are going to go to replicate a good capp is with a nespresso machine and aeroccino, at £150-200, plus £20-30p per cup for coffee. the point i was making though is that good coffee aint cheap, and cheap coffee aint good.
    "£20-30p"- is that pennies or pounds? Lol
    Hmm, I don't really drink coffee anyway, so I have no idea about the quality. However, I find frothing the cappuccino milk soothing so I think I'll go and make one for my mum haha

ReputationRep:
    What coffee is good or not is just your opinion, nobody can experience someone else's sensations.

As a matter of fact I might like instant coffee more than Starbucks coffee.
    But then again I don't even like coffee so what am I doing in this Thread.

ReputationRep:
    costa ftw! :yep: but i wouldnt get it everyday..dont like coffee but love their hot chocolate lol

ReputationRep:
    If only I could... Stupid student budget :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I went in for the second time ever yesterday and felt that it was a bit too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester SU have a Starbucks, I'm going to be ruined

ReputationRep:
    Before, I didnt used to just go for the coffee per se, but being in the atmosphere amongst the people is delightful and ofcourse I used to be a peeping Tom in my hometown starbucks back a few months when I could afford it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.