Turn on thread page Beta

Do you go starbucks daily? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Noooo way, I go like once a month as a novelty thing and that's only for the frappuccino. I don't understand why people buy stuff like coffee/hot chocolate/etc. from there because it's no nicer than the stuff you buy in Asda :s

ReputationRep:
    i get a costa every morning. hot chocolate or cappuccino if it's cold and vanilla frescato in the summer. mmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but probably won't once I go to uni as I won't have a job anymore. £1 for a tall filter coffee and a free refill, but I sometimes have a latte or cappuccino if I feel like paying £2.45.

I go at least 3 times a day when I'm not at home.

ReputationRep:
    Costa is the way forward, we've got a franchise at work.

ReputationRep:
    I dont try starbucks. Is starbucks any good?

ReputationRep:
    I go to coffee shops quite regularly, to the extent that i'm spending £20-30 a week.
    It's an absolute rip-off, by uni is so far away from home that even if i was to save up and buy everything for myself, it would only mean being able to have a coffee before i go in and when i get home, so it's the only option for a decent cup

ReputationRep:
    Coffee :camp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)

My gf also asked a girl who worked their why it was more expensive to stay in than to take away, and she told me it was because we were paying for the atmosphere. I felt like headbutting her or either being extremely arrogant, or just very dumb.
    I noticed somewhere the other week (might have been Pret a Manger) they had a sign explaining why it's more expensive to stay rather than takeaway, and apparently it's because they are obliged to pay VAT when things are consumed on the premises but not if they're taken away. It seems a more reasonable explanation than just 'charging for the atmosphere'!

ReputationRep:
    I never go there, as I resent paying up to £4 for something which costs around 7 pence to make.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever go there, no more than once a month, if that! Pretty much always have a Frappuccino! They're very tasty, but yeah costs quite a lot. I do like the atmosphere there early in the morning, especially in the winter when it's feezing cold outside, but warm and snug inside.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even go to Starbucks yearly. I think I've been to one maybe once, possibly twice in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    If they do, they are a moron. starbucks' coffee is a load of ass. but to expand this out, lets take into account the main coffee retailers and the good independents

For starters, starbucks' machines are superautos that cost thousands and thousands of pounds. add in the rent, cost of the beans and milk, utilities, furniture, other assorted overheads and you start to see why they charge £2 for a cup of coffee, especially given that they take prime locations which are expensive.

then take what it'd take to recreate this at home. You CANNOT get a proper capp out of a packet. it's impossible. that packet stuff tastes awful.

a rancilio silva machine with a rocky grinder will set you back about £6-700, though personally i'd get a nice masser burr grinder at £700 to go with the silva.

Your coffee will cost you between 5 and 10p per shot, then add in your power, the milk, plumbing the bad boy machine in, cleaning supplies, a couple of different portafilters, a tamper and tamping mat, knockbox, espresso shotglasses, and you're somewhere near getting that coffee shop experience at home.

by my estimation you'd spend £730 on starbucks' in a year, and probably a bit more on a domestic set up. Obv. the cost declines with use and over the years, but you're never going to save yourself that sort of money without going without that coffee, or trading down to some instant or the like.
    I fancy you.

ReputationRep:
    I am proud of the fact I have never bought anything from Starbuck's.

ReputationRep:
    i would so have a caramel frappuccino every day if i wasn't a poor student :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I love coffee so much, and probably go to Starbucks once or twice a week. Can't afford it anymore though

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Starbucks probably about 3 times maximum in my whole life, I don't get the hype it's just generic coffee badly made by 19 year old gremlins working behind the counter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JubJub211)
    The other day, I popped into my local off-license as you do and noticed what looked like a box of cappucino sachets, 10 sachets to be precise. Now I like to indulge in a cup of coffee everyday meaning every week, I imbibe 7 cups of coffee.

I was just thinking the other day, how expensive starbucks are, imagine you go there daily as I used to and order a cup of cappucino at £1.99, thats about £14 a week. In comparison, if I bought these sachets instead which are £1 for 10, or 1 for 10p then I'd be making a saving of £13.30 everyweek!

Does anybody else drink at starbucks everyday?! :eek3:
    well starbucks isnt the only coffee shop u know. there are cheaper places. and those satchets usually taste like crap

ReputationRep:
    I get a starbucks coffee most days, but as i work in a place that sells starbucks I get any drink for 60p
    This aaalmost makes up for getting paid minimum wage...

ReputationRep:
    Our college has a starbucks inside. £1 off the normal price, isn't bad for a treat every now and then. Even if it is just for the cream
    I wouldn't go every day, especially as a student, it's so ridiculously expensive for a drink.

ReputationRep:
    I will never buy drink from or buy anything by starbucks as the discriminate against people and i really cant stand that!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.