Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else think that Freshers Week is actually quite boring? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Like during the day? I have nothing to do... A lot of people seem to be sleeping or catching up with their friends from home on Skype and stuff. I'm actually looking forward to lectures and work starting so I can focus on something, then at least when everyone else is in their room I can stay in mine working rather than just sitting around.

Anyone else think this or am I the only one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    Like during the day? I have nothing to do... A lot of people seem to be sleeping or catching up with their friends from home on Skype and stuff. I'm actually looking forward to lectures and work starting so I can focus on something, then at least when everyone else is in their room I can stay in mine working rather than just sitting around.

Anyone else think this or am I the only one?
    Depends which university you're at. Nottingham organised trips to Alton Towers and Cadbury World, BINGLO, music sessions, and other stuff through the day, plus 3 days of fresher's fair, and the school of compsci organised lunches, refreshment chat sessions etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think things get better after freshers week. I didn't find it necessarily boring as we were always kept busy, but it was better when things calmed down a bit and you could actually make proper friends and do your own thing going out etc. People suddenly realise that they have to get on with everyone else for the rest of the year so they start to make more of an effort to make friends and meet others rather than either ignoring people or getting pissed with them. A lot of societies' first meetings start after freshers week too so that's a good chance to meet people. Freshers week is a strange thing but try to make it as much fun as possible for yourself!

You will be craving the freedom from work at some point during your university career

ReputationRep:
    I only went out once. I was ill
    So yeah, to me it was boring.

ReputationRep:
    I always found the days really boring, I just spent them lounging around, on Facebook, and comparing my hangover with my flatmates'. And getting ready for the next night out. It does get less boring when you start lectures

ReputationRep:
    We had loads of fairs and events going on during the day, so no.

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh it wasn't that bad, as there were random meetings to go to in the afternoons, & we all spent the morning sleeping, and after the meetings we all got ready for the night out! Simple

ReputationRep:
    I recall being so busy flying round different events, talks and so on that there wasn't time to be bored.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I totally agree, I hated freshers week! It was just one long hungover mess with not much to excite you during the day and one club after another at night. I was at nottingham uni too, and yeah, there were alton towers trips etc, but really, who hasnt been to alton towers a million times already when they get to age 18?? It was soooo much better when lectures started and there was structure to the day!

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be a week of the wrong people in the wrong club. Everyone just goes anywhere they see first, then I guess everybody filters into their own style of club the following couple of weeks, until everyone has found the club that suits them best.

ReputationRep:
    My freshers week has been very boring. I've only been out once because I've been so ill. After I've struggled to go to induction meetings and get things I needed from the shops etc, all I've wanted to do in the evenings is curl up with a cup of tea and watch some telly. And I've skipped two talks today because I just couldn't make it out of the door. I have genuinely been really ill but my flatmates must all think I'm a complete recluse.

ReputationRep:
    i just cant be bothered going out 3+ times a week which is what im forced to do at the moment else ill just look unsociable, ahh itl be back to once a week soon, hurry up freshers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it ok, but that's because I'm in a house, not halls, and I'm with people I really enjoy being with.

That said, I can't wait for lectures to start properly and to go and get myself a job so I have something else to do with my time, and so I won't go shopping quite so much! D:

ReputationRep:
    Ours was boring, nothing whatsoever during the day whilst we all waited for the evening's entertainment which was identical to the previous evening but with a change of costume required :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    tbpf, after going out the night before, I need a day to relax, get over the hangover. So far, it's been amazing, but I guess it's only because of the nightlife.

ReputationRep:
    Not boring as such, but stressful. It seems like I've had a ridiculous amount to sort out and meetings to go to. Generally leaving my room at 8/9 and not getting back 'til 3, which seems like a lot when you're not doing anything fun or academic, then muck around for a few lovely hours, then down for tea at 5/6, then try and see what my corridor mates are doing that night. And I don't like 'going out' i.e. clubs and alcohol. Latest I've been to bed at is midnight.

Currently having my first lazy day by virtue of finally having no compulsory admin to sort, and telling myself that all the other stuff I need to do will be done ... later.

Though I can't say I'm looking forward to work starting! 9:00 seminars on Monday! o0 Looking forward to societies.

ReputationRep:
    freshers week is what you make of it, and the people around you. If you find it boring you only have yourself to blame. The day is usually spent recovering from the night before until you are ready for the night ahead, that is standard, obviously most people don't feel well enough to do anything. The nights more than make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe the amount of people saying theirs was boring. What about fresher's fayres, AU fayres, enrolment, going into town with your new friends, exploring your local area in general? Don't just sit around doing nothing if you don't want to, just go out and explore. Unless you're a local already, then there should be lots of new things to see or places to go to - and if you are a local already, then you can offer to show your new friends around I didn't go out every night, but I still had a brilliant time at my Fresher's Week!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.