Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it time for an Abortion Pride Movement? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree?
    Yes - Shirt is fantastic
    19.35%
    No - It's distasteful
    80.65%

ReputationRep:
    Getting an abortion is not something to be proud of. There should still be some social stigma attached to getting an abortion if I'm honest, it should not be used as a form of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Are you really using the, 'they started it first!' defence? Christ, I thought we were meant to be adults here...
    I am being mature about it, if it was my choice, I'd punch people in the face for making me look at photos of dead babies. I have no respect for that disgusting of a human being.

You also live in a child's world if you think anything like 'turn the other cheek' actually works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Getting an abortion is not something to be proud of. There should still be some social stigma attached to getting an abortion if I'm honest, it should not be used as a form of contraception.
    I agree. I'm pro-choice, but people are acting as if it's your run-of-the-mill standard everyday thing that just happens.

Sorani, of course you have to turn the other cheek. By all means fight your corner when it's necessary, but this sort of behaviour trivialises a very serious subject.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who have had abortions but I wouldn't really say that any of them used them as contraception- does anyone actually do that?
    I see what they're talking about- it does take a certain level of courage to have an abortion, what with the social stigma and negative emotions attached to it, plus a lot of girls are ashamed of it and probably end up keeping it a secret, but the t-shirts aren't a great idea in my opinion. As someone else said, it's just sticking it in the face of people who don't agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I'm pro-choice, but people are acting as if it's your run-of-the-mill standard everyday thing that just happens.

Sorani, of course you have to turn the other cheek. By all means fight your corner when it's necessary, but this sort of behaviour trivialises a very serious subject.
    It's not a run-of-the-mill thing, but I don't feel that women should ever feel ashamed of having to make such a hard decision.

Well, the US pro-choice movement has been pretty calm and they get abortion clinics blown up, picketers standing outside of them calling the women 'whores' and they only really have one late-term abortion doctor because the other one got shot dead in church. As well as states bringing in legislation that means women considering abortions will be made to look at scans of the foetus first and there had even been discussion of legislation allowing a doctor to lie about deformities if they felt the patient knowing such a thing would lead them to abort it. We don't have to be as violent as them, but when you stay quiet and don't stand up for yourself, they win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    I am being mature about it, if it was my choice, I'd punch people in the face for making me look at photos of dead babies. I have no respect for that disgusting of a human being.

You also live in a child's world if you think anything like 'turn the other cheek' actually works.
    So on those posters it's a dead baby, but when someone gets an abortion it "isn't human life yet" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    So on those posters it's a dead baby, but when someone gets an abortion it "isn't human life yet" ?
    The ones on the posters are generally dead babies because they like to use later-term miscarried foetuses. They look far more like babies and they can get more sympathy that way.

And when did I say 'isn't human life yet' anyway?

ReputationRep:
    As with most of the things people seem to take pride in, this is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a run-of-the-mill thing, but I don't feel that women should ever feel ashamed of having to make such a hard decision.

Well, the US pro-choice movement has been pretty calm and they get abortion clinics blown up, picketers standing outside of them calling the women 'whores' and they only really have one late-term abortion doctor because the other one got shot dead in church. As well as states bringing in legislation that means women considering abortions will be made to look at scans of the foetus first and there had even been discussion of legislation allowing a doctor to lie about deformities if they felt the patient knowing such a thing would lead them to abort it. We don't have to be as violent as them, but when you stay quiet and don't stand up for yourself, they win.
    So what is your answer? What would you do?

As for the first paragraph, despite being pro-choice I do feel there should be a certain level of shame felt by the woman. It's important that people who get an abortion realise it's a last-resort rather than simply a way of dealing with the issue. It's essential that it's not seen as a credible option that can be used again and again.

ReputationRep:
    The ones on the posters are generally dead babies because they like to use later-term miscarried foetuses. They look far more like babies and they can get more sympathy that way.

And when did I say 'isn't human life yet' anyway?
    I assumed your standpoint because the alternative is that you are supportive of killing unborn babies. It's either one or the other surely.. ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    I assumed your standpoint because the alternative is that you are supportive of killing unborn babies. It's either one or the other surely.. ? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I thought you were quoting me from somewhere, and I couldn't remember saying it.

It's not that it isn't alive, it is alive, but I think of it like how a germ is alive. There's the potential for human life, and I can see why people would have an issue over that but I don't see it as being anything like a full-term baby, so much development goes on in that 9 months.

So what is your answer? What would you do?

As for the first paragraph, despite being pro-choice I do feel there should be a certain level of shame felt by the woman. It's important that people who get an abortion realise it's a last-resort rather than simply a way of dealing with the issue. It's essential that it's not seen as a credible option that can be used again and again.
    I know woman who've had abortions, and it's never something they could've done for fun or just as a joke, like the majority of medical procedures.

I do what I do, I protest, I make my opinion known, I make sure that people know my beliefs on the issue, I make sure to keep myself informed. I just don't like the idea of people having to be quiet about it, I think we should be open.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a Pro-choice Pride, but not Abortion Pride. That's like people proud of being gay wearing a T-shirt saying 'I suck dicks and take it up the anus."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbyn)
    They might want to publicise their disgusting lifestyles, but I'm not interested.
    Aww, you seem like a rational and tolerant person

ReputationRep:
    It's something to be neither ashamed or proud of. It is a tough life decision, but one that could have been avoided in many cases by use of contraception.

It is also excessively inflammatory and insensitive. Not that I give a **** about religious fanatics, but what about women who are unable to get pregnant?

When offense or indifference are the only possible reactions, I would say it is a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I know a few people who have had abortions but I wouldn't really say that any of them used them as contraception- does anyone actually do that?
    I see what they're talking about- it does take a certain level of courage to have an abortion, what with the social stigma and negative emotions attached to it, plus a lot of girls are ashamed of it and probably end up keeping it a secret, but the t-shirts aren't a great idea in my opinion. As someone else said, it's just sticking it in the face of people who don't agree with it.
    There's a girl I went to school with who has had three abortions, she goes out and has sex with random guys and if they dont have a condom then she doesnt care. She's not bothered when she finds out shes pregnant as she just goes and gets it aborted.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta be honest, not sure I'd be proud of murdering an innocent person to make nine months of my life easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Gotta be honest, not sure I'd be proud of murdering an innocent person to make nine months of my life easier.
    LOL what, a child is for life not the 9 months it takes to make.

In my opinion this is a set too far, abortions should be allowed and someone should not be discrimated against for doing so however it is certainly not something to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl I went to school with who has had three abortions, she goes out and has sex with random guys and if they dont have a condom then she doesnt care. She's not bothered when she finds out shes pregnant as she just goes and gets it aborted.
    Oh goddddddd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    LOL what, a child is for life not the 9 months it takes to make.

In my opinion this is a set too far, abortions should be allowed and someone should not be discrimated against for doing so however it is certainly not something to be proud of.
    Protip: Adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Protip: Adoption.
    Some people do not like adoption just like you do not like abortion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.