Is it time for an Abortion Pride Movement? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree?
    Yes - Shirt is fantastic
    19.35%
    No - It's distasteful
    80.65%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I want to garner your opinions on this article.

Source

You may as well have "I'm a responsibility dodging scumbag" tattooed on your forehead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    The difference in my mind is this, if my brother has kidney faliure and i decide not to give him one of my kidneys even though i am a match (I would if this was really happening) should I be arrested for manslaughter? No as its my body and I have a right to do with whats in my body as I like, he would not survive without something in me which I see totally differently to a machine or pacemaker. If that makes sense.
    The difference in my mind is, if you went out and murdered someone who would otherwise live to save yourself nine months of inconvenience for whatever reason (your landlord who was jacking up rent, for example, forcing you to move into a grottier flat for nine months) should you be prosecuted for murder? Yes, of course you should. Especially if the landlord is only jacking up the rent because you couldn't be bothered to pay on time (read: contraception. use it), but even if that wasn't the case and your landlord was just being a prick. If you were saving yourself from potentially fatal consequences, then I could understand it.

In your example it's your liver. The foetus may be connected to your body but it is not your body. It is a separate living being. Fair enough on your point with the pacemaker analogy though.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a hobby putting it like thar. Pro choice movement would be better

ReputationRep:
    this is totally stupid

ReputationRep:
    Pride at the fact woman have a choice maybe but pride on having an abortion? A life (subject to when you believe life begins) was terminated and it's not something you should be parading around with a happy face for it. Keep in mind abortions are usually carried out because of mistakes and mishaps (i.e contraception fails or you forgot to use it) in which case this pride parade is for making life-changing mistakes. Distasteful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    The difference in my mind is, if you went out and murdered someone who would otherwise live to save yourself nine months of inconvenience for whatever reason (your landlord who was jacking up rent, for example, forcing you to move into a grottier flat for nine months) should you be prosecuted for murder? Yes, of course you should. Especially if the landlord is only jacking up the rent because you couldn't be bothered to pay on time (read: contraception. use it), but even if that wasn't the case and your landlord was just being a prick. If you were saving yourself from potentially fatal consequences, then I could understand it.

In your example it's your liver. The foetus may be connected to your body but it is not your body. It is a separate living being. Fair enough on your point with the pacemaker analogy though.
    I guess the difference here is I dont see a fetus which without the link to the mother would not survive as a human and feel the mother has the right to cut this link as she wishes. Where as you see the fetus as a human the same as a 30 year old man or woman. I very much doubt one is going to be able to persuade the other to see there view :p:, but thanks for a discussion without the abuse or strawman arguments which TSR is littered with.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the difference here is I dont see a fetus which without the link to the mother would not survive as a human and feel the mother has the right to cut this link as she wishes. Where as you see the fetus as a human the same as a 30 year old man or woman. I very much doubt one is going to be able to persuade the other to see there view :p:, but thanks for a discussion without the abuse or strawman arguments which TSR is littered with.
    Fair enough. It does all hinge on whether you consider the foetus human.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well wear a shirt saying "I love to murder children." :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Fair enough. It does all hinge on whether you consider the foetus human.
    Nah, it's alien. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable; I can understand people having abortions in their early stages and if you were raped. BUT you should never be proud to have one, it is a human life you are taking away and I don't highly understand why so many people are for abortions in all contexts upto ridiculous times like 24 weeks. Very immoral i believe, and it's one part of our human nature which shows incredible selfishness and shows us that killing is basically ok. I know it's completely different, but when you're at something like 24 weeks, these are proper living things...

ReputationRep:
    no, because there is nothing to be proud about in having an abortion ...

ReputationRep:
    Abortion isn't really a thing to be proud of, more a necessary evil.

ReputationRep:
    Where the hell is the pride in aborting a human child? I am not totally against abortion, but that is absolutely disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Worst choice of name ever. 'The Movement for Choice' might have been better, or something that makes it clear what exactly they mean.

ReputationRep:
    I support choice out of necessity (in the way the uk law is set now is acceptable)

However advertising something like this on a t-shirt, is just disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm robustly pro-choice, but abortion isn't something you can or should be proud of IMHO. It's a solemn and difficult choice for any mother to make that will have a serious emotional impact on many women for some time afterwards - how can you be proud of that?

Just because the idiot "pro-lifers" use emotive tactics and blare it out in public doesn't mean that the choice camp should so, because we're better than them.

ReputationRep:
    The difference in my mind is this, if my brother has kidney faliure and i decide not to give him one of my kidneys even though i am a match (I would if this was really happening) should I be arrested for manslaughter? No as its my body and I have a right to do with whats in my body as I like, he would not survive without something in me which I see totally differently to a machine or pacemaker. If that makes sense.

The thing is though, that by not giving your brother a kidney you are simply failing to save him. Abortion involves the active killing of the foetus however, which changes things somewhat. I'm not against abortion is all circumstances, but this is what I struggle with. I find it hard to come to terms with the idea that there was a time when I was alive that it was perfectly legal for me to be actively killed by a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    The thing is though, that by not giving your brother a kidney you are simply failing to save him. Abortion involves the active killing of the foetus however, which changes things somewhat. I'm not against abortion is all circumstances, but this is what I struggle with. I find it hard to come to terms with the idea that there was a time when I was alive that it was perfectly legal for me to be actively killed by a doctor.
    Well, I'm not sure why you're distingished "active killing" from the two. In both cases, your actions cause someone to die.

I'm not that perturbed by the idea there was a time I could have been murdered legally to be honest. In my opinion it's better to have never been born than to be born to a mother who is ill-prepared to have you as a child and raises you poorly as a result, and I always value having some level of quality of life over just being alive.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a second, no woman is "proud" of having an abortion. I think what they're proud of is not being ashamed of having an abortion, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Well, I'm not sure why you're distingished "active killing" from the two. In both cases, your actions cause someone to die.

I'm not that perturbed by the idea there was a time I could have been murdered legally to be honest. In my opinion it's better to have never been born than to be born to a mother who is ill-prepared to have you as a child and raises you poorly as a result, and I always value having some level of quality of life over just being alive.
    I realise the result is the same, but to me it seems like the difference between not pulling someone from a burning house, and actually burning their house down with them inside yourself. In both cases they die, but in the latter you've not only failed to save them but you directly caused their death.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.