Is it time for an Abortion Pride Movement? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree?
    Yes - Shirt is fantastic
    19.35%
    No - It's distasteful
    80.65%

ReputationRep:
    No.
    As much as I don't judge someone for having an abortion, in fact I think it's the right thing to do in certain circumstances if they're not ready for a baby, can't look after it financially etc. it's not something to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    I realise the result is the same, but to me it seems like the difference between not pulling someone from a burning house, and actually burning their house down with them inside yourself. In both cases they die, but in the latter you've not only failed to save them but you directly caused their death.
    I can see this seems to make perfect sense to you, but everything you've stated about "active killing" applies to both situations.

If I don't pull you from a burning house, have I not caused your death? I've acted (my actions are walking away from the house) in such a way that you has caused you to die. Just like with burning your house, if my actions were different, you would not have died. Perhaps it's just me, but if you look closely into it, the differences between these two different acts that seem obvious to others don't seem that substantial to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Well, I'm not sure why you're distingished "active killing" from the two. In both cases, your actions cause someone to die.

I'm not that perturbed by the idea there was a time I could have been murdered legally to be honest. In my opinion it's better to have never been born than to be born to a mother who is ill-prepared to have you as a child and raises you poorly as a result, and I always value having some level of quality of life over just being alive.
    Proptip: Adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Proptip: Adoption.
    Firstly, I'm not in favour of forcing someone to go through 9 months of pregnancy and then putting up with the pain of having to give up their child once they've formed that bond.

Secondly, even if we did that, your post is based on the assumption that there are enough prospective parents to take these children. The fact is that there are far more children seeking parents.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a 'pride' thing, well at least not outwardly telling everyone. You can have a small amount of personal pride in making what you feel is the right decision, but t-shirts and stuff are just silly I think. TBH pride is silly a lot of the time I think.

I do think it would be good to have examples of women who have had abortions and feel they made the right decision available/portrayed more, to help stop pressure to go one way or another for other women.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'm not in favour of forcing someone to go through 9 months of pregnancy and then putting up with the pain of having to give up their child once they've formed that bond.
    Firstly, I'm not in favour killing someone to avoid nine months of inconvenience unless we're talking about a case where the pregnancy poses a severe health threat to the mother.

Secondly, even if we did that, your post is based on the assumption that there are enough prospective parents to take these children. The fact is that there are far more children seeking parents.
    Secondly, do you have any evidence/references for that at all or you just pulling it from thin air like most posters on this forum do when they want to back up an argument?

It would probably speed this up if you skimmed through the thread and found Idiot-Finder and I's debate which started in much the same fashion.

ReputationRep:
    I can see this seems to make perfect sense to you, but everything you've stated about "active killing" applies to both situations.

If I don't pull you from a burning house, have I not caused your death? I've acted (my actions are walking away from the house) in such a way that you has caused you to die. Just like with burning your house, if my actions were different, you would not have died. Perhaps it's just me, but if you look closely into it, the differences between these two different acts that seem obvious to others don't seem that substantial to me.
    If you don't pull me from a burning house, I don't believe you have caused my death, simply that you failed to prevent it. There are millions of people who die round the world every year whose deaths i do not prevent, but i dont consider myself to have caused their deaths.

I understand where you are coming from though, if the result is the same, but what I was trying to say was that abortion does not involve simply failing to save the foetus, but deliberately killing it. If you simply didn't do anything, unlike the person in the burning house, they would have survived.

Abortion seems to be very complicated subject for me as there is a conflict between what is best for the child and what is best for the mother which, to me believing as i do that the foetus is human makes is really difficult to decide who should take precedence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Firstly, I'm not in favour killing someone to avoid nine months of inconvenience unless we're talking about a case where the pregnancy poses a severe health threat to the mother.
    I can't believe you're calling the arduous process of pregnancy and the traumatic experience of having to give up your baby after having held it in your hands an "inconvenience".

Secondly, do you have any evidence/references for that at all or you just pulling it from thin air like most posters on this forum do when they want to back up an argument?
    It's a simple fact really. There are so many children in care needing to be adopted who cannot, and far fewer parents looking to adopt who cannot.

It would probably speed this up if you skimmed through the thread and found Idiot-Finder and I's debate which started in much the same fashion.
    Hmm... I understand it's tedious for you to debate this again, so I won't pursue, but you really shouldn't have intiated this debate with me if it was going to prove tedious for you. Don't feel obliged to start debates when you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's very distatesful, and a bit sick tbh.

I would like to think that if a woman has an abortion it's not something she does on a whim or takes any pride from. Can anyone really believe abortion is fundamentally a good thing? I know it's not a black and white issue so don't agree that it's always wrong but I would never consider abortion a good thing.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.