Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My parents are moving to Australia soon and as a result I've been contemplating applying to Australian universities as an international student. The universities I am currently considering are ANU, University of Sydney and University of Melbourne. All offer scholarships but I don't understand the application process!

I want to study a four year chemistry course at undergrad level, any advice will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)
    Hi,

My parents are moving to Australia soon and as a result I've been contemplating applying to Australian universities as an international student. The universities I am currently considering are ANU, University of Sydney and University of Melbourne. All offer scholarships but I don't understand the application process!

I want to study a four year chemistry course at undergrad level, any advice will be appreciated!
    The universities you mentioned are pretty popular with international students and they have quite a large section in their websites for applicants such as yourself. Check it out and more often than not, they have an international entry requirements table that convert qualifications such as A-levels into their equivalents.

Are your parents okay with the international tuition fees and accommodation costs? The total cost of studying in Australia as an international would be multiples of what you would actually pay in the UK...

ReputationRep:
    The application process is typically just based off of your academics and not a reference/PS. All though some degees differ. ANU has the best reputation internationally, but Melbourne, Sydney and ANU area all on par with each other within Australia. If you are into social sciences or science I would push for ANU. This is where ANU really seperates itself from the pack. If you want something like english, then they are all the same.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at putting Flinders above ANU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    I repeat : "ANU have a stellar research reputation, but a very mediocre reputation for undergraduate education."
    I wouldn't go so far to say Flinders is better though. I would argue that Melbourne, Sydney and ANU are all on par for undergrad education. Particularly with the ANU PhB. As far as employability WITHIN Australia, Melbourne and Sydney. But from an academic standpoint, equal.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear... none of you are actually helping the OP at all!! :confused:

I'll get you started with university of melbourne. First of all go to this site: http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/

You should be able to find all the info you need about the course and the application process on that site. To study a four year chemistry degree, you need to first apply for the bachelor of science, and then choose your major in chemistry. That will give you a three year Bachelor of Science in Chemistry degree. Then you do an additional one year (the 4th year) of research which will give you a Bachelor of Science with Honours in Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    For chemistry...

Probs UNSW or UTS.

ANU PhB is ok -_- But not much career-wise. Its the only good philosophy program in NSW though.

Don't bother with UMelb. USyd would be better, especially for a chemistry course. Come to think of it, USyd would probs be the best choice for chem.

Why'd you want to leave the UK beats me though. You'd be paying international fees... for universities that aren't as good as some of the UK ones?

Also... for undergrad courses - ANU, UMelb and USyd aren't on par and aren't the best in Australia. It depends on course so you can't really say they are on "par". For law, I'd rather do it at USyd then ANU. For commerce, definitely UNSW.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.