Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are college students generally of a lower class than Sixth Form? watch

ReputationRep:
    In general are college students who do BTECs of a lower class and lower caliber than Sixth Form students who do A Levels? Is the general level of intelligence lower than at Sixth Forms.

Also, I am not strictly talking about social class. You can have "low-class" middle class people, and equally you can have intelligent and sophisticated working class people. I am talking about the behaviour and attitudes of the students, rather than their backgrounds.

Would you say Sixth Form students are on a higher intellectual plane than college students or are they on a similar level on average?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    In general are college students who do BTECs of a lower class and lower caliber than Sixth Form students who do A Levels? Is the general level of intelligence lower than at Sixth Forms.

Also, I am not strictly talking about social class. You can have "low-class" middle class people, and equally you can have intelligent and sophisticated working class people. I am talking about the behaviour and attitudes of the students, rather than their backgrounds.

Would you say Sixth Form students are on a higher intellectual plane than college students or are they on a similar level on average?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I got into a good sixth form, but in the end went to a college simply for the environment.

I immediately regretted it however as I was surrounded by chav trash who did BTECs whereas I was doing very productive A-levels. They all looked like plumbers and hairdressers. It felt truly awful.

ReputationRep:
    Depends upon the college or sixth form in question, r-tards.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that most six formers are actually below the level of the btec students reason being is they act immature, you will also find these students are more fake and the only reason that they have done a levels is because they are just confident with exams.

ReputationRep:
    BTEC ****ters aren't fit to kiss my feet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I went to a 6th form college that is one of the best in Surrey not sure what that makes me lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Smilingsam)
    I would say that most six formers are actually below the level of the btec students reason being is they act immature, you will also find these students are more fake and the only reason that they have done a levels is because they are just confident with exams.
    That has to be the biggest load of crap I have ever seen for a first post.

ReputationRep:
    apparantly so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    That has to be the biggest load of crap I have ever seen for a first post.
    Sorry didnt mean to offend some idiots on here with the truth.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't worry you haven't offended anyone with the truth just most people find generalising ******** spouted from cretins like you annoying:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    BTECs are for people who God shɑt out and don't have properly formed brains, and so that's why they have to use their hands.

ReputationRep:
    If you think this you should go to my old sixth form. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I completed a BTEC National Diploma (Triple Distinction grade) at college after getting A's & B's at GCSE. Personally for what I wanted to get in to it was completely the right choice. Although the students in the class made me feel ill at times, I knew I was better and that's all that mattered.

Currently I am more prepared for my course (Computer Science) than any other student who did A levels as the content I was taught has meant I can just speed ahead with my programming project now. A level students couldn't program 4 lines on a command prompt...I could barely contain the laughter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    Haha, I completed a BTEC National Diploma (Triple Distinction grade) at college after getting A's & B's at GCSE. Personally for what I wanted to get in to it was completely the right choice. Although the students in the class made me feel ill at times, I knew I was better and that's all that mattered.

Currently I am more prepared for my course (Computer Science) than any other student who did A levels as the content I was taught has meant I can just speed ahead with my programming project now. A level students couldn't program 4 lines on a command prompt...I could barely contain the laughter.
    Eugh what an inferiority complex at being surrounded by your A-level superiors at university.

ReputationRep:
    If some people believe putting all there knoledge in a 2hour (maximum) exam is the smarter way than being based on how you actually work throughout then they are the ones who need there head sorting out. I came from a BTEC and have gone on to a similar course but at post grad level and most of the a Level students on there dont even know how to add up 10000, 2000, and 3000 apparently add up to 68000 is what most of them said i felt like shouting at them and telling them how retarded they sound but have more common sense than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbyn)
    Definitely. I got into a good sixth form, but in the end went to a college simply for the environment.

I immediately regretted it however as I was surrounded by chav trash who did BTECs whereas I was doing very productive A-levels. They all looked like plumbers and hairdressers. It felt truly awful.
    Yet the plumbers will probrably earn a hell of allot more $ than you :P
    Funny old world Innit.

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own, tbh. You have A-level students at sixth form and college who cannot be arsed to succeed, and BTEC students who want to get the most out of their qualification and aim for the top.

It may depend on the quality of teaching, socioeconomic variables and perhaps whether the sixth form is state or private. Nevertheless, everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Yet the plumbers will probrably earn a hell of allot more $ than you :P
    Funny old world Innit.
    Money's not important to me whatsoever. They can come and unclog the **** out of my toilet all day while I'm project managing in an office with a nice view.

Eugh plumbers; I can imagine all they read is The Sun and talk about knockers, while I'd be enjoying the finer things in life. You don't get intelligent and sophisticated tradesmen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbyn)
    BTECs are for people who God shɑt out and don't have properly formed brains, and so that's why they have to use their hands.
    Are you actually for real? Or is this sarcasm that I'm not getting?

Jesus christ I can't believe the crap some people have been spouting...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.