Turn on thread page Beta

Are college students generally of a lower class than Sixth Form? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, I'm your middle class, stereotypical 6th Form Student, I went to 6th Form for 2 years, but I absolutely hated it and consequently ended up doing quite poorly in my exams. I now go to a college and take a BND in Creative Media Production and whilst some of the people on my course are, well, scum (but you'll get that in any 6th Form too) most are intelligent, decent people.

I will admit though, that there seem to be more of the 'undesirables' at college as it is the only place you can do vocational courses, and whilst being a plumber or an electrician can be a very respectable job, a lot of people stumble into it because they failed there GCSEs and have no other option. These tend to be the people that drop out and end up on the dole.

I don't think you can really make the assumption that everyone who goes to college and does a more vocational course are scum. I mean, a plumber with his own firm could most certainly earn a shed load more than a university graduate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Depends upon the college or sixth form in question, r-tards.
    Well to be fair the OP did say 'generally' which leaves room for exceptions. I'm sure though no-one would argue that dulwhich college is for chavs (though I actually think that might be a sixth form even though it's called 'college). The way the OP has phrased the questions merely means are colleges more bad than sixth forms in the majority of cases.

Well tbh in my area the sixth formers are generally better behaved than the college students of similar (the adult students at the colleges are usually good people though). There were also some bad sixth formers too though.

P.S my sixth form did both vocationals and A-levels. The IB was introduced this year also.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with GD nowadays is that the people who might have had something valuable to say have got tired of seeing this thread and others done a thousand times over. Hence you get threads like this populated by: 30% trolls, 30% incredulous reaction, 20% unwarranted middle-class classism, and 20% kids with a massive "I'm proper working class" chip on their shoulder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    you sure?
    its forum ? do i really have to go over want i type?

i presume you did A levels 2 ?

ReputationRep:
    This is rather humourous, watching people feeding the troll that is "urbyn" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    each to their own. I mean my sixth form offer the International Baccalaureate, simple A Levels (businness/gov+politics/accounting), and business btec level 1, 2 and 3- so obviously a huge range there

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't really get on with either of them tbh...
    I find people in my sixth form to be arrogant and up themselves pricks.
    People at college to be immature and don't take lives seriously.

Though, there are some from both sixth form and college that are intelligent and not like what my generalisation has mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    Haha, I completed a BTEC National Diploma (Triple Distinction grade) at college after getting A's & B's at GCSE. Personally for what I wanted to get in to it was completely the right choice. Although the students in the class made me feel ill at times, I knew I was better and that's all that mattered.

Currently I am more prepared for my course (Computer Science) than any other student who did A levels as the content I was taught has meant I can just speed ahead with my programming project now. A level students couldn't program 4 lines on a command prompt...I could barely contain the laughter.
    This is why TSR annoys me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I went to a 6th form college that is one of the best in Surrey not sure what that makes me lol
    I am going to Uni of Surrey with a Btec, what do you think about that huh

ReputationRep:
    yeahh definatly, the school rejects go to colleges to doss around and get minimal work done, but then again all colleges aren't the same!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can generalise like that.

Different things suit different people; it depends if you want another two years at school or if you want something different.

ReputationRep:
    Colleges usually have more people and are therefore going to have more bad people. Though to be honest, there is a higher proportion of them in colleges than sixth form.

(Original post by Smilingsam)
    If some people believe putting all there their knoledge knowledge in a 2hour (maximum) exam is the smarter way than being based on how you actually work throughout then they are the ones who need there their head sorting out. I came from a BTEC and have gone on to a similar course but at post grad level and most of the a Level students on there dont even know how to add up 10000, 2000, and 3000 apparently add up to 68000 is what most of them said i felt like shouting at them and telling them how retarded they sound but have more common sense than that.
    Sorry, but it was doing my head in. I assume they don't teach you English on a BTEC? The last sentence still doesn't make sense.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FaraxZeroIncome)
    I am going to Uni of Surrey with a Btec, what do you think about that huh
    I don't really care tbh. If thats what makes you happy then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    its forum ? do i really have to go over want i type?

i presume you did A levels 2 ?
    6th form, WHAT I type

I did do A-levels and massively underachieved :\

ReputationRep:
    Colleges don't just offer BTEC's you moron.

What a stupid thread..

ReputationRep:
    6th form, WHAT I type

I did do A-levels and massively underachieved :\
    and it makes you feel better by showing my spelling mistakes nice

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand the english system.. cant you just do 7 years of primary school and 6 of secondary.. then uni. A lot simpler imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    and it makes you feel better by showing my spelling mistakes nice
    Highlighting your spelling mistakes was actually to point out that there may have been some truth behind the OP...

ReputationRep:
    Highlighting your spelling mistakes was actually to point out that there may have been some truth behind the OP...
    i still don't understand why people care though, its a forum ? not an essay ? its not like i m going to check it for errors?, its like saying all my work at college is proof-read, so really their wouldn't be any truth behind it?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.