Turn on thread page Beta

Alcohol, where to begin & how to not get embaressed! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Drink water/soft drinks in between alcoholic drinks.

You could try a lager shandy (half beer half lemonade - it sweetens the beer and dilutes the alcohol, so you don't get drunk as fast) and just drink slowly. Let each drink hit you before starting the next, or it'll hit you all at once and you'll vomit or something.

ReputationRep:
    Mickey Finns is pretty lush. have it with lemonade and its not very strong, same with peach shnapps and lemonade. also if you do want to do the shots, i suggest you start on something not very strong, like apple sourz.

ReputationRep:
    My first alcoholic drink other than alcopops was neat gin. I think thats a pretty good entrance to the world of alcohol myself. I didn't even vomit.

I would never do it again though. Does anyone else find that the longer you have drunk alcohol the worse it gets? I used to be able to stomach straight vodka with little effort, now one shot makes me gag. I'm now stuck on cider and wine!

ReputationRep:
    Smirnoff Ice tastes like lemonade.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to alcopops or vodka and mixers. First time you will drink beer you will probably want to gag after the first sip. Thats how it was with my anyway, beer is something you have to drink until you learn to like it.

ReputationRep:
    Take it slow, leave it a while after each drink to see how you feel. I'd say wait half an hour between each drink on your first night out. Build up your tolerance & learn how your body reacts. Don't get a bit tipsy & then get wasted, take it slow.

Thanks for the replies, this may be OT but sort of related.

Was talking to a friend of mine and many of these drinks are according to him are pretty girly, the likes of smirnoff ice and such. To what extent is this true?
    I know that I should get used to alcohol and not rush into anything strong, but I feel as though I'd look strange/feel awkward in a crowd of people drinking "macho" drinks with my little umbrella and lemon drink, if you get what I mean.
    I'm not one to care about pressure, but I don't want to look pathetic either.

I will try for vodka + x singles and just sip on that as the night goes on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Was talking to a friend of mine and many of these drinks are according to him are pretty girly, the likes of smirnoff ice and such. To what extent is this true?
    I know that I should get used to alcohol and not rush into anything strong, but I feel as though I'd look strange/feel awkward in a crowd of people drinking "macho" drinks with my little umbrella and lemon drink, if you get what I mean.

Vodka coke/vodka red bull/vodka lemonade etc aren't girly drinks. VK/WKD are though :P

If you ask for a vodka coke (assuming you like coke) then you'll get a shot of vodka in a glass of coke. If a bar has several brands of vodka then sometimes they'll give you the most expensive one unless you specify otherwise, but most only serve one brand.

As a first time drinker you'd be fine with 5 units, which is 5 vodka cokes. You won't be seen to not be drinking if you had that much (although vodka coke is an expensive way of drinking, in terms of price per alcohol). I suggest you try a light lager if you've never had beer before as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

During my freshers week SO many guys were drinking them girly drinks... so you'll just be apart of that. If your scared of finding beers you like you can always order a half pint and just go through them... and have a 15 min break in between half pints and you will be fine. Vodka and lemonade will be fine but vodka does have quite a strength compared to beer... but i am sure you will handle it fine. A friend of mine during freshers jumped into the deep end and drunk straight double whiskeys and had a great night even got a bunch of chicks numbers, so i wouldn't worry dude, just get in there and enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I'll classify the girly drinks:
    Smirnoff Ice
    WKD
    VK/Any flavour
    Vodka & Coke
    Usually guys (inc me) only drink these if we are already tipsy/drunk, as they are cheap and keep you going. Though I know a handful of guys that drink these from the start, and yes they are all straight. It just depends how self concious you are about your image.

Manly drinks:
    Beer
    Lager
    Cider (Magners, Koppaberg, Strongbow, Bulmers, Gaymers etc etc)

It's a simple divison really. To be honest I don't like beer that much, Lager is ok but I'm not a huge fan. I LOVE cider though, Pear cider in particular.

Then we have the shots, these are ok for everyone to drink, I recommend getting Apple Sourz as a rookie, as shots of Sambuca can be a bit un-settling if they are your first shots, these are basically tiny glasses filled with a very alcoholic drink. Usually have these after a few drinks (once you're tipsy)

It takes you a while to get used to alcohol, so you'll probably get drunk VERY quickly the first few times you have a proper session. The average VK/Smirnoff has about 1-1.2 units in. Whereas Beer/Lager/cider tend to have 2+ units, so you can see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dothestrand)
    Don't drink Sainsbury's own brand vodka. The night will not end well.
    Those are always the good nights if you can handle it!

ReputationRep:
    Cuba Libre (Rum and coke) is also a great drink. Basically anything + coke is a good way to dilute the taste of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    You don't HAVE to get drunk, you know... just drink a little! I prefer to stay sober at parties, I have a couple of alcopops and spend the night looking after drunk people :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christykai1049)
    i second that. own brand drinks are not the way to go.
    Surely only becuase it was that much cheaper and you have no excuse to not drink more of it because it wasn't as expensive!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.