Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever driven a 30% incline mountain road? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass.htm

Epic. I've done it in a 1.4 turbo derv Fiesta and a 1.6 TSI Golf.

I'd really like to do it in a rally car:yep:

Anyone else been here?

ReputationRep:
    They used this place on 5th gear once, they toook some heap of crap superminis and filled them full of people and had to go up in 1st gear i rememebr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    http://visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass.htm

Epic. I've done it in a 1.4 turbo derv Fiesta and a 1.6 TSI Golf.

I'd really like to do it in a rally car:yep:

Anyone else been here?
    what gear did you use most the time btw? and what about the really steep hairpin bit? 2nd gear?

ReputationRep:
    I swear they do a bike ride on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerSofas)
    what gear did you use most the time btw? and what about the really steep hairpin bit? 2nd gear?

Depends on the power of the car, in the fiesta with four mates and all our gear I took a good run up in first and let it sing at 2,500-3,000 rpm. just keep the momentum going and your foot pretty much nailed.

Second time in the Golf, I kept it in first to start with and built up speed changing between 2nd on the straights and first on the corners. Dont brake for the corners going up, I just changed gear turned in and floored it. I'm not a racing driver by any stretch of the imagination but it was bloody good fun. Cars decending the road have to give way to ascending cars but be prepared to stop anyway. Sheep are sometimes in the road.

As a side note, bloody good fun watching people do a hill start on the incline! Burning clutch, smoking tyres and cars rolling backwards!

ReputationRep:
    I bet you my driving licence that hill would be A LOT more fun on a mountain bike :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Not 30%, but the road I take back and to for 6th form is a 25% incline; which is annoying as I get about 7 mpg going up it. :eek:

What sort of speed did you maintain up it?

ReputationRep:

As a side note, bloody good fun watching people do a hill start on the incline! Burning clutch, smoking tyres and cars rolling backwards!
    haha, i bet it is. i've done that kind of thing myself and felt like an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerSofas)
    haha, i bet it is. i've done that kind of thing myself and felt like an idiot
    Only way to learn is give it a go. I've ruined many a set of tyres in my time:p:

(Original post by Paranoid//Android)
    Not 30%, but the road I take back and to for 6th form is a 25% incline; which is annoying as I get about 7 mpg going up it. :eek:

What sort of speed did you maintain up it?
    Anything from 5mph to about 25mph if it was a good run. Not breaking the speed limit either

ReputationRep:
    I'm lucky enough to live about 10 miles from the Hardknott pass nowdays, so take a blast up there most weekends when its sunny. It's a shame the road condition isn't that great - my front wheel fell 8" down a massive pothole a month or so ago! You can't see them when your powering up an incline and onto a crest!

I've tried it in 2nd gear all the way (MR2 Turbo) but it's not possible to keep the speed up through the steep bends and at the same time be sure no-one is round the corner coming the other way. In other words i'm a chicken

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried running up what i think was a 40 degree incline in a secluded not-even-in-the-satnav road somewhere down south. I think it was for a good 20 metres or so, and then continued with a steep incline. My friends 1.2 litre was pretty much stuck at first gear that time

ReputationRep:
    Driven Hardknott/Wrynose a few times....

View from the top looking through my Scoob wing. Happy days, miss that car

ReputationRep:
    It's actually not that great a drivers road. Every weekend and most of the busier holiday weeks of the year see it snarled up with pensioners in Rovers, parents in people carriers and other sloth-like driving retards. Even if you get a clear run, the weather is unpredictable and any slight mistake is rewarded by hitting solid planet. Add in the sheep and that it is too narrow to pass anything for much of its length and it can be a tiresome run, frustrating as the excitement on offer is massive. I usually try to drive it very early in the day before the usual idiots have got there, but much prefer Ribblehead or Strines Moor for an all-out blast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    It's actually not that great a drivers road. Every weekend and most of the busier holiday weeks of the year see it snarled up with pensioners in Rovers, parents in people carriers and other sloth-like driving retards. Even if you get a clear run, the weather is unpredictable and any slight mistake is rewarded by hitting solid planet. Add in the sheep and that it is too narrow to pass anything for much of its length and it can be a tiresome run, frustrating as the excitement on offer is massive. I usually try to drive it very early in the day before the usual idiots have got there, but much prefer Ribblehead or Strines Moor for an all-out blast.
    Yeah you have to be there early and have a little luck but the excitment of getting it wrong keeps you on your toes!

Where are Strines Moor and Ribblehead?

ReputationRep:
    I think Applecross Pass in Scotland is similar, I did that in a Toyota Aygo 1ltr...to say it was screaming is an understatement!

ReputationRep:
    Not driven it, but I'd bloody like to. I think I must have been on that page recently - I have the last picture as my desktop background...

ReputationRep:
    Where are Strines Moor and Ribblehead?
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...99942&t=h&z=11

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...99971&t=h&z=12

ReputationRep:
    I'd hoon it up that road just to hear the turbo in my little diesel go 'whoooosh'.

Just 'cause.

ReputationRep:
    Driven up a 25% on the motorbike. It barely even makes a difference tbh.(600cc bike)

I used to have to ride up it on a 50cc bike and it was dreadful, was barely moving by the top of it...

ReputationRep:
    maybe ll try it in my 1L micra?
    or perhaps a 0.9 L yaris?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.