Turn on thread page Beta

Why are BTECs looked down by people who do A levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relik93D)
    Can't justify taking BTEC over A-Levels.
    You can close the door from the outside if you come to me with BTEC "qualifications".
    But, that said, a employe would look at me more highly then a person with A levels, i have the stardard qualifcations to into job at entry for IT, whilstly the A level would just have A levels eg

Maths
    Computing
    ICT

i do have the BTEC plus
    A + CompTIA
    Network +
    CCNA
    Cisco
    Microsoft exams,

Which are all the baics's you need to have job in IT, which the A level person wouldnt have

ReputationRep:
    :woo:
    (Original post by urbyn)
    WHAT OTHER ******* QUESTION?!

You were talking out of your crack.
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    and yet According to your profile it says your 18? so you have degree as well being 18

:p: btw this is rich coming from someone who is unemployed

what GSCE's do u have then ???
    Them!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and ICT? is excel access word ****, and yes i ve looked at the spefications

and For A level Computing its just bit higher stuff compared to ICT, with bit of Coding in HTML CSS and Some C, but doesnt go into as much detail as the BTEC. If you dont want to take my word for ask someone who is doing them
    It's also Dreamweaver and Flash and Access which is not easy.
    I would know I've done it.

I know someone that only got 2 GCSEs and got DMM in BTEC ICT. Truth is BTEC is easier then A levels.

ReputationRep:
    What are your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relik93D)
    Can't justify taking BTEC over A-Levels.
    You can close the door from the outside if you come to me with BTEC "qualifications".
    Do you work in human resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    What are your GCSEs?
    What are your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

Them!
    I'm not unemployed, I'm a full-time jobseeker. That is why I'm on Jobseekers Allowance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Because they are less academically rigerous. I don't look down on them anyway, they just suit different people.
    I totally agree :yep:

I have a friend who did rather badly at GCSEs, she got very low grades and not even one C to get her into A Levels like she had originally wanted. She went on to do Business BTEC at college instead and did really well on it. So I reckon it's fair that everyone should be able to do something suits them, whatever it may be to get them somewhere in life, without being looked down on by snobby others just because they didn't want to or couldn't do A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    What are your GCSEs?
    5 A'S 3 B's 4 C's

So yes i could of done A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I totally agree :yep:

I have a friend who did rather badly at GCSEs, she got very low grades and not even one C to get her into A Levels like she had originally wanted. She went on to do Business BTEC at college instead and did really well on it. So I reckon it's fair that everyone should be able to do something suits them, whatever it may be to get them somewhere in life, without being looked down on by snobby others just because they didn't want to or couldn't do A Levels.
    I wish people were like that :/ but this tsr, you must do A levels to be accept by everyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbyn)
    I'm not unemployed, I'm a full-time jobseeker. That is why I'm on Jobseekers Allowance.

Jobseeker’s Allowance is the main benefit for people of working age who are out of work or work less than 16 hours a week on average. If you're eligible, it is paid while you're looking for work. Find out more, including how to apply online.

So do you work ? if you dont you count as unemployed,

What did you get in GSCE's then ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    What are your GCSEs?
    Irrelevant. There was a reason why I asked him for his GCSEs. He asked why people look down to people who do BTECs. It's the same reason why some people at top universities look down on people at lower universities. Superiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    5 A'S 3 B's 4 C's

So yes i could of done A levels
    Be honest, are you in the majority or minority in regards to your grades?

ReputationRep:
    Jobseeker’s Allowance is the main benefit for people of working age who are out of work or work less than 16 hours a week on average. If you're eligible, it is paid while you're looking for work. Find out more, including how to apply online.

So do you work ? if you dont you count as unemployed,

What did you get in GSCE's then ?
    I'm counting my job hunt as a full-time occupation.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest, are you in the majority or minority in regards to your grades?
    i dont understand what you mean ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbyn)
    I'm counting my job hunt as a full-time occupation.
    LMAO, so yeah you are unemployed lol
    so what grades did you get in GSCE's as you continue to avoid it ?

ReputationRep:
    But, that said, a employe would look at me more highly then a person with A levels, i have the stardard qualifcations to into job at entry for IT, whilstly the A level would just have A levels eg

Maths
    Computing
    ICT

i do have the BTEC plus
    A + CompTIA
    Network +
    CCNA
    Cisco
    Microsoft exams,

Which are all the baics's you need to have job in IT, which the A level person wouldnt have
    Depends what you want to do in IT.

Decent A levels in comp/maths/FMaths and then a degree in comp sci from a decent uni would be better for different jobs in IT.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand what you mean ?
    Do the majority of people who do BTECs in your class have grades similar to you or lower than you?

ReputationRep:
    LMAO, so yeah you are unemployed lol
    so what grades did you get in GSCE's as you continue to avoid it ?
    As and A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    ...and Scottish qualifications are even harder, you sit one exam on all the content at the end of the year, one exam, if you fail it you do not get resits. One exam, one try. Going by your logic.
    yeah probably, except you only have to memorize a years worth of stuff. A level is synoptic so you can be examined on the last paper on the first thing you were taught when you started (which happened to me) - so they get progressively more difficult.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.