Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I failed my recent AS chemistry assessment after 4 weeks of teaching. My teacher wants me to drop chemistry and I wasn't enjoying it anyway. I want to take up geography instead with my other current choices of maths, biology and English literature. Will I be disadvantaged without A-level chemistry in application and/or on the degree?

ReputationRep:
    :p:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    I failed my recent AS chemistry assessment after 4 weeks of teaching. My teacher wants me to drop chemistry and I wasn't enjoying it anyway. I want to take up geography instead with my other current choices of maths, biology and English literature. Will I be disadvantaged without A-level chemistry in application and/or on the degree?
    I feel your pain lol, I am doing chemistry A2 at the moment and want to study biology at university have you just started AS?
    the universities I am applying to (sending my application in the next few days) all want two sciences, but some universities don't require two. also, I have noticed that at some, geography counts as a 'kind-of science' so you might be alright.

I didn't do particularly well at AS, got a mark off a C overall but I am doing some re-sits this year to get my grade up. basically I think it could possibly limit your choice of universities if you drop chemistry, but obviously there's no point if you are going to epically faillll :p:

ReputationRep:
    maths, biology and English literature?
    oops just noticed you're doing maths, thats fine then! counts as a science, so...... drop chemistry and RUNNNNNN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    :p:

I feel your pain lol, I am doing chemistry A2 at the moment and want to study biology at university have you just started AS?
    the universities I am applying to (sending my application in the next few days) all want two sciences, but some universities don't require two. also, I have noticed that at some, geography counts as a 'kind-of science' so you might be alright.

I didn't do particularly well at AS, got a mark off a C overall but I am doing some re-sits this year to get my grade up. basically I think it could possibly limit your choice of universities if you drop chemistry, but obviously there's no point if you are going to epically faillll :p:
    Yes I've just started AS. My school has this system where they assess you after 4 weeks and if you get lower than a D in their assessment you can't continue with that AS. I got a U in my chemistry assessment :p:

Maths counts as a science in some places, how many do you think would have that view?

Is there much chemistry content on a biology degree, and would I struggle without A level chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is haaaaarrrrddddd.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've just started AS. My school has this system where they assess you after 4 weeks and if you get lower than a D in their assessment you can't continue with that AS. I got a U in my chemistry assessment :p:

Maths counts as a science in some places, how many do you think would have that view?

Is there much chemistry content on a biology degree, and would I struggle without A level chemistry?
    ooer, don't worry I hate chemistry, tis a beast of a subject what board are you with?

well I started off doing maths AS and stupidly moved to chemistry cause I thought I'd find it easier, I wish I never had swapped lol. yeah sorry, I corrected myself cause I noticed you'd said you were doing maths, that is fine with most universities

in answer to your question about how much chemistry there is in a biolgoy degree, I have no clue.. yet :p: I've researched the courses I am applying for thoroughly and there seems to be some biochemistry elements but I enjoy these topics. I think they'll be a little chem, but not so hardcore :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Chemistry is haaaaarrrrddddd.
    it is indeed. am gonna fail so bad :woo:

ReputationRep:
    ooer, don't worry I hate chemistry, tis a beast of a subject what board are you with?

well I started off doing maths AS and stupidly moved to chemistry cause I thought I'd find it easier, I wish I never had swapped lol. yeah sorry, I corrected myself cause I noticed you'd said you were doing maths, that is fine with most universities

in answer to your question about how much chemistry there is in a biolgoy degree, I have no clue.. yet :p: I've researched the courses I am applying for thoroughly and there seems to be some biochemistry elements but I enjoy these topics. I think they'll be a little chem, but not so hardcore :eek3:
    AQA for chemistry. The only bits I can see that would be relevant to a biology degree is the biochemistry stuff. The rest doesn't seem to apply, like last week we were doing the 'ideal gas equation' and calculating the pressure in a flask. It didn't seem very biology-like and it was very boring

Off topic but how important is work experience for a biology degree? It looks pretty hard to get. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    AQA for chemistry. The only bits I can see that would be relevant to a biology degree is the biochemistry stuff. The rest doesn't seem to apply, like last week we were doing the 'ideal gas equation' and calculating the pressure in a flask. It didn't seem very biology-like and it was very boring

Off topic but how important is work experience for a biology degree? It looks pretty hard to get. :yep:
    ahh I am with Edexcel, both probably as hard as eachother lol.
    yeah, the entire course at AS was a bit confusing for me, and its still not clicked unfortunately. I know, maybe speak to your head of year and swap subjects?

hmm, well I haven't been able to get any specific biology work experience cause there is loads of crappy health and safety issues however, I've done a couple of science competitions outside of school, one at reading university and one at this Atomic Weapons Establishment place. I got picked to do it though. also I've done quite a lot of animal-related work experience, as I previously wanted to be a vet, but I've still mentioned it as it ties in with a lot of the biology university courses, ie - animal-related modules what area of bio interests you most? you got any career ideas?

ReputationRep:
    ahh I am with Edexcel, both probably as hard as eachother lol.
    yeah, the entire course at AS was a bit confusing for me, and its still not clicked unfortunately. I know, maybe speak to your head of year and swap subjects?

hmm, well I haven't been able to get any specific biology work experience cause there is loads of crappy health and safety issues however, I've done a couple of science competitions outside of school, one at reading university and one at this Atomic Weapons Establishment place. I got picked to do it though. also I've done quite a lot of animal-related work experience, as I previously wanted to be a vet, but I've still mentioned it as it ties in with a lot of the biology university courses, ie - animal-related modules what area of bio interests you most? you got any career ideas?
    I spoke to my head of year yesterday and he suggested to swap to geography. I had a geography lesson today to see if I liked it and it was much better than chemistry, so hopefully I'll swap on Monday

I'm most interested in animal related modules and the human body. I want to be a biology teacher. Do you know what career you want to have yet?

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my head of year yesterday and he suggested to swap to geography. I had a geography lesson today to see if I liked it and it was much better than chemistry, so hopefully I'll swap on Monday

I'm most interested in animal related modules and the human body. I want to be a biology teacher. Do you know what career you want to have yet?
    nice one, all sorted then!

yeah same here, all the universities I am applying to have lots of animal modules for me to choose, like animal behaviour, animal ecology, animal physiology etc! I also like the human aspects too... we're sooooooo much more interesting than plants haha aww I considered teaching once but I see my poor teachers and feel sorry for them :p: for work experience you should try and get some helping out at a primary school somewhere, even if its not related to biology, you're doing something to help your application! I want to do something with animals, thats all I know. I am especially interested in marine mammals so I might do a postgradute course in marine biology maybe :yep:

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is easy once it clicks ... physics is dodgy

ReputationRep:
    nice one, all sorted then!

yeah same here, all the universities I am applying to have lots of animal modules for me to choose, like animal behaviour, animal ecology, animal physiology etc! I also like the human aspects too... we're sooooooo much more interesting than plants haha aww I considered teaching once but I see my poor teachers and feel sorry for them :p: for work experience you should try and get some helping out at a primary school somewhere, even if its not related to biology, you're doing something to help your application! I want to do something with animals, thats all I know. I am especially interested in marine mammals so I might do a postgradute course in marine biology maybe :yep:
    Good idea! Might be a little hard to get though since primary schools usually have the same term times as secondary schools, but I'm sure some in my area must be different

Thank you for all your help :yep:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have maths or another science in there it's fine. Some unis will force any biology student without A level Chemistry to do an Introduction to Chemistry module in the first year though, so you may have to face up to chemistry at some point.

ReputationRep:
    I study Biology, Psychology and English. I have Chemistry at AS but at grade D. Do I have a chance applying to good universities? Will I be at a disadvantage if lots of applicants have Chemistry at A-Level?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.