Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people have such an issue with child labour? watch

ReputationRep:
    The reason I am against it is because it isn't a choice between working and not working (if that was the case then there would be certain situations where it would be acceptable), but because it is often a choice between working and education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Been doing some research on it and it seems to mainly be the hippies, lefties and general losers with nothing better to do with their time who complain, whinge, whine and ***** about child labour and I don't understand why.

Whilst I'd agree they earn too little for what they produce, the reality is companies like Nike provide a living in a safer environment than the individual could otherwise hope for.

From Wiki:

Is it time we accepted that Nike and all the other companies that use this practice are actually doing a lot of good work?
    I love this guy, he doesn't tiptoe around the real issues, so many PC pansies out there, who have become robots, refreshing to see an individual challenging things and making people think, so far seen him discuss drugs, religion, politics, all sorts, this man has balls of steel.

Positive rep coming your way sir.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is reputable multi-national companies taking advantage. I agree, without the jobs, the people working in the sweatshops will be even worse off.
    It's more the fact that most of these companies make billions in profit every year, and can easily pay the workers more than they are. You can counter by saying 'yeh well they'll just go somewhere else where labour is cheaper', that's not the point.

Our world has globalized into a massive capitalist economy, where more often than not money takes priority over morals. Why do we have an issue with the circumstances? Because it's another step away from our global society acting with humility and decency.
    Fair enough if you don't care about morals and ethical business practice, but some of us do.

ReputationRep:
    Most people like to oppose child labour, but when the abscence of it means they have to pay more for products, it's a different story. In an ideal world the extra costs would be paid for by the company's excess profits, but sadly this is not the case.

Although for these children a job for a multi-national corporation is better than none, this does not justify the poor working conditions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.