Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im doin Maths, Further Maths, Economics and ICT.

My Eco teacher thinks I will ace Business Studies and think that she should put me in as well as Economics.
    Yes/No?

I want to go into IB.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!!

ReputationRep:
    No!!

ReputationRep:
    Won't affect your chances directly, but might get you into a better university which will have an impact.

ReputationRep:
    If you decide to go into Economics, maths, etc. at top-tier Uni employers won't really care about your A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiguyov)
    Won't affect your chances directly, but might get you into a better university which will have an impact.
    Might it? I mean, universities mostly care about 3 A-levels. 4 tops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Papkin)
    Might it? I mean, universities mostly care about 3 A-levels. 4 tops.
    True. Especially given that it's Business Studies (which isn't all that respected and there is an overlap with Economics).

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, I doubt it would make a significant difference to your university application as most unis ask for only 3 and a half a levels. But I wouldn't do you any harm, but you need to bare in mind that doing 5 might impact you grades xxx

ReputationRep:
    Uni's recommend you not to take similar subjects like economics and business studies. Take one or the other, preferably economics.

ReputationRep:
    Just stick with those subjects for an aim for AAAA+ and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)

My Eco teacher thinks I will ace Business Studies and think that she should put me in as well as Economics.
    Yes/No?

I want to go into IB.
    You would actually be better off taking a subject like history/ a language/ geography/ biology/ chemistry etc which is a traditional academic subject in place of ICT or as a 5th subject.

Business studies should not be studied with economics as they are similar.

Also: if you want to get into IB then you should be more than capable of studying 5 subjects at A2 level and achieving A*s in some of them, but you don't need to study 5 in order to get into IB or boost your chances.

ReputationRep:
    If you slip a grade in one of your other subjects it might be nice to have Business Studies to fall back on. If you feel like it, do it!

ReputationRep:
    If you can, you should replace ICT with History/Physics/Chemistry/A Language.

Otherwise, just keep it as it is, and aim for good grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)

Yes/No?

I want to go into IB.
    Do it, it's an easy subject and shouldn't be of any great difficulty to attain a high grade in.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do 4 and spare some time to get some rudimentary work experience/shadowing or some unique extracurriculars.

This looks better than doing 5 but with no other stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.