Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have a lab question, which asks me to give the energies for the first two terms in the lyman series for Hydrogen like atoms, in terms of units of "Rydbergs and Wavenumbers". I'm confused, because I've always known both in terms of cm-1.

    I've looked in my text books, and online, and nowhere else mentions Rydbergs as a type of unit...

    I've calculated the wavenumbers of the first two transitions, and calculated them into the energy by using E=hcv.

    No idea where to go from here

    A Rydberg is a unit of energy. About 13.6 eV or about 2.1 \times 10^{-18} Joules

University open days

  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.