Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All
    I start at uni next week, and a few days ago I got the freshers itinerary for the week. However most of the things listed are'nt stuff that I really enjoy, such as clubbing every night and nothing really on during the day (apart from lectures when they start). So now I think I will probably not meet anyone outside my flat/hall until I start my course. I have already met some people including my flatmates but they just seem interested in going out and getting drunk every night, something I'm not interested in.
    So has anyone got any suggestions/ideas as to how to make friends with like minded people???
    (The freshers fair and joining societies does'nt happen until the end of freshers)

Thnx in Advance

ReputationRep:
    well at least give going out to clubs/bars etc a try

i hated it before i went to uni, now i love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZZAT345)
    Hi All
    I start at uni next week, and a few days ago I got the freshers itinerary for the week. However most of the things listed are'nt stuff that I really enjoy, such as clubbing every night and nothing really on during the day (apart from lectures when they start). So now I think I will probably not meet anyone outside my flat/hall until I start my course. I have already met some people including my flatmates but they just seem interested in going out and getting drunk every night, something I'm not interested in.
    So has anyone got any suggestions/ideas as to how to make friends with like minded people???
    (The freshers fair and joining societies does'nt happen until the end of freshers)

Thnx in Advance

I know you probably haven't mentioned the uni on purpose, but are you going to York by any chance? Because if you are, you're not the only one. I don't drink and I am not a massive fan of going to clubs.

I just plan to suck it up for freshers and then hope that people get over it!

ReputationRep:
    If it is York, then just to say some colleges offer good alternatives every night. Some colleges are better at this than others though; ranging from Goodricke have a good alternative every night to Derwent having nothing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well I was dreading freshers too because the clubbing and discos etc weren't my thing. I also don't drink so hearing about how drunk everyone was going to get was off putting too. At first, I felt like everyone was doing it. However, I was only noticing the louder girls on my floor. You'll soon notice that not everyone is like that. When the big evening activities are going on, the bars are a lot quieter so try hanging out there. You'll find others who are also less into the clubbing scene and are just chilling and trying to get to know a few people. Anyways, freshers is only week of your life anyway. So don't fret over it too much.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you dreading it? Force yourself to go out a few times, and if you make some friends - awesome. If it sucks then the worst case scenario is spending the week playing computer games.

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to York but anyway thnx for some of the advice

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I didn't go clubbing during my fresher's week, and I made just as many friends as the people who did.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just try it once if you don't like it do as others suggest and hit the bars abit.

ReputationRep:
    Thnx for more of the comments, but the thing thats really worrying me atm is that if I go to some freshers stuff and I am not interested (which will most probably be the case) I will probably just spend the rest of the week sitting inside at night in my room. Rather than going out and meeting people... Leaving me with no mates

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.