Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot of negatives about it and that it's the **** version of the other Southampton uni but I wanted to hear from the current students, mainly 1st years as I might transfer there next year because they do the course I want.

So what's it like? (lectures, students, nightlife, transport etc.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm second year but no-one else has said anything so I'll give it a go..

I suppose lectures would depend on the course you're doing. The staff are really helpful and always there if you need help with an assignment. Of course, these are just my lecturers but everyone seems really friendly in general.

The nightlife is also good, since halls are all around the town centre you'd only be a short walk away from the clubs and bars. It may not be a campus uni the campus is right in the middle of town so you're not far from the SU either. There's so many places to choose from and since there's two universities there it's very student friendly and there are lots of cheap deals on drinks etc.

Depending on what halls you live in too you're either right next to Asda or right near Tesco and in the student houses area there's loads of takeaway places and shops. The advantage of Solent is that it's near everything and you're not way out of town like Southampton. I suppose it depends on what course you're doing but Solent is much better if you want to do a creative-type job afterwards..

Transport - Well there's a train station in So'ton obviously, about an hour and a quarter journey to London and Brighton. There are buses that run through the town and nearby towns/suburbs of Southampton too.

I don't really know what else to say but if you have any more questions let me know. Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Im a first year student, the night life is amazing, the halls are new and refurbished so they are really good, choose your halls wisely because some halls they just party all the times, if you are not a party person, avoid the party halls

All negatives about the quality of teaching are rubbish,the Uni is just new and just slowly growing, the main Uni campus is small compared to Southampton Uni, Transport is not a problem because the Uni is basically in town and the halls are just 5-10 mins walk from Uni or Town

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrari)
    ..choose your halls wisely because some halls they just party all the times, if you are not a party person, avoid the party halls
    should be hitting up solent later on this year, just wondering if you could guide me on the halls a little? My mate is there at the moment, stayed with him for a few days about a month ago and loved it there, pretty sure he was in one of the party halls which was a good laugh but if im going to be there for 4 years I would maybe consider haha, cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 11, 2011

University open days

1. Southampton Solent University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.