Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It says to find the exact solutions of x^2 - 6x - 3 = 0 by completing the square, but I can't find the exact solutions. All I get is x = 3 + root 12 and x = 3 - root 12

Then it says to sketch the graph of y = (2x-13)(x^2-6x-3) but I can't unless I find the exact solutions because I need to factorise the above equation into three linear factors. help please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    x = 3 + root 12 and x = 3 - root 12
    Correct, but you could simplify your surds.

This is what they mean by exact values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get me off the £\?%!^@ computer)
    Correct, but you could simplify your surds.

This is what they mean by exact values.
    Ok so I get x = 3 + or - 2root3 but then what? how do I sketch the graph of the cubic in my first post?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If x = 3 + 2 \sqrt{3} then x - 3 - 2 \sqrt{3} = 0

You can use this to write down a linear factor.

You don't need factors in order to sketch the graph anyway, it is solutions you need.

ReputationRep:
    Exact solution means to leave it in surd form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    If x = 3 + 2 \sqrt{3} then x - 3 - 2 \sqrt{3} = 0

You can use this to write down a linear factor.

You don't need factors in order to sketch the graph anyway, it is solutions you need.
    I still don't get it. How do i use x -3 -2root 3 =0 to find the linear factors.

ReputationRep:
    (x-root)(x- another root)( x - another root)=0
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If a quadratic has x = k as a solution then x - k = 0 and (x - k) is a linear factor. Understand now?

Anyway, as I said, you don't need factors to sketch the graph. You need the solutions and you already have them.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    It says to find the exact solutions of x^2 - 6x - 3 = 0 by completing the square, but I can't find the exact solutions. All I get is x = 3 + root 12 and x = 3 - root 12

Then it says to sketch the graph of y = (2x-13)(x^2-6x-3) but I can't unless I find the exact solutions because I need to factorise the above equation into three linear factors. help please!
    In order to sketch the graph, one of the things you are working out is solving the equation for when y=0. So you are looking for the solutions to

(2x-13)(x^2-6x-3)=0

Well if the product of two terms is zero, then one or other of the two terms must be zero, so either (2x-3) = 0 or (x^2-6x-3)=0

The first one is easy to solve, and you have already solved the second one, hence you have your three points where the curve crosses the x axis, i.e. where y=0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    In order to sketch the graph, one of the things you are working out is solving the equation for when y=0. So you are looking for the solutions to

(2x-13)(x^2-6x-3)=0

Well if the product of two terms is zero, then one or other of the two terms must be zero, so either (2x-3) = 0 or (x^2-6x-3)=0

The first one is easy to solve, and you have already solved the second one, hence you have your three points where the curve crosses the x axis, i.e. where y=0.
    I don't get the second bracket though. Where does x = 3 + 2root3 cross the x-axis?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the second bracket though. Where does x = 3 + 2root3 cross the x-axis?
    Type \sqrt 3 into your calculator and you will get, roughly, 1.7. Then put that into  3+2\pm\sqrt3 and you will get the approximate roots of the second brackets which will help position them relative to the other root you know. Then label these roots on the x axis
    (Its just a sketch so doesn't need to be exact) in the exact form and then do the same for the y axis (just put x to zero).
    Its a positive x^3 graph so its just a standard s shape.
    If you want more detail you will have to look at the second derivative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Type \sqrt 3 into your calculator and you will get, roughly, 1.7. Then put that into  3+2\pm\sqrt3 and you will get the approximate roots of the second brackets which will help position them relative to the other root you know. Then label these roots on the x axis
    (Its just a sketch so doesn't need to be exact) in the exact form and then do the same for the y axis (just put x to zero).
    Its a positive x^3 graph so its just a standard s shape.
    If you want more detail you will have to look at the second derivative.
    Thanks for the help. I understand it now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.