Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im doing AS level Geography for the Edexcel exam board and was just wondering how people found this subject last year?

Also, I was reccomended to read the Edexcel book that they themselves endorse although my teacher said it wasnt 'the best'.

Are they any other resources I could use, or even any other revision books?

Thanks in advance

Aneil

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel book, with me, is fine, but i think with geo there are a lot of info that u have to find from different sources, so i dont think there is only a book that stays at 'the best'...

As studyin few first chap of Edexcel, my teacher gave me "Hazards and Responses" of Victoria Bishop, "Geography: An Intergrated Approach" of David Waugh (she often recommended us to read books of him) and Student Unit Guide of course lol, and Edexcel stuff.

Each of them was used to search for particular articles. I hope it helps?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks anh.cris

I'll have a look at them books and see if they're good for me!
    Btw how did you do in your Unit 1 exam and what would you say the difficulty was?

Aneil

ReputationRep:
    My Teacher uses the Edexcel endorsed book and tbh I think that is one of the only ones wrote specifically for the course! She also uses Geography: An Intergrated Approach and calls this the Bible as it does include almost everything and I would highly reccomend even though it is pricey (try getting a used one off amazon maybe?)

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you Saladfingers08

Is this An integrated approach book written specifically for the Edexcel spec?

ReputationRep:
    No I dont believe it actually is but its literally covers everything for every course i think - so if you used it with the spec alongside so you know what you need to do it would be more useful!

ReputationRep:
    Kool!

Thanks again guys

ReputationRep:
    I got the big AS Edexcel Geography textbook by Sue Warn. That was quite good. I also used the GCP one but only for things like aditional textbooks and to look at stuff in a different way.

I found it ok to be honest. We did it weirdly at our school by doing unit 2 in January and unit 1 in the summer. I did better in Unit 1 but still managed to get an A overall. Timing is a problem (well it especially was for me) so I had to keep and eye on the clock all of the time to check that I wasn't spending too long on one section. I think its good because it caters for both human and physical geogrpahy. I prefer A2 at the minute though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoopy2310)
    I'd recommend the big AS Edexcel Geography textbook by Sue Warn too, as well as the Student Unit Guide. They were my godsend, good enough to get you a good A if you learn the content in those and then exam technique
    What is the Student Unit Guide?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    AS edexcel was sooooo boring but A2 gets better. I used just the Edexcel textbook and got 80/80ums and 113/120ums

ReputationRep:
    it's relatively straight forward, just be sure to read the questions properly in the exam, seemed to trip me up quite a bit! i found it was easy to pick up marks, nothing too challenging and not too boring, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The AS Edexcel Syllabus is a "nice" syllabus - goot introduction to many of the key global concerns for geography - climate change, global hazards, globablisation and megacities - yet there isn't much pure physical geography. In addition unit 2 is a bit strange and forcuses highly on fieldwork and there is a very rigid exam structure.

In regards to the textbooks the blue course textbook is fine. The unit guide (also edecel endorced and by phillip allan publishers) has some really good case studies for migration and yet lacks for some other topics. I think that the best advice is to make good class notes and case study notes as that is what is going to get you through, the theory and the specific evidence to back it up. My teacher said you can easily get through the AS exam, and do well with the edexcel textbook but she said that you cannot rely on the textbook for A2. She said that if you only used the textbook you could get a C at best and that it was independent case study work that you need for the high grades (although I am now talking about A2)

I also have Geography: An integrated approach - which was also referred to as the Geography bible, although I only got it because I am applying for Geography at uni and it fills in specification gaps.

Enjoy the course - I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi anyone doing A2 Geography i just wanted to let you know i have three A2 Geography books which im looking to sell on Ebay. Im selling them for more than half of what i paid for as i going to university and they are cluttering my room, but they are in good condition I'll be putting them on Ebay on buy it now so if anyones interested let me know on here so you can get them when i put them on. They really are helpful for A2, i found for unit 3 the textbook i have and student guide are useful specifically for case studies and the student guide is great for unit 4 too as it gives diagrams needed for those high grades.Anyway good luck with A2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.