Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently on my gap year and will applying for uni over the next few months
    I have no idea what uni course to do and I hated my A-level classes and don't want to do anything related to them
    Any suggestions as to what I should do or how I go about finding out what course to take??
    I've taken the Stamford test and it hasn't helped me at all

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Prospectuses usually help. Admittedly, being on your gap year makes it hard to get hold of a hard-copy of a prospectus, but usually Uni websites have them in .pdf form. Most Unis offer a standard set of courses, with a few variations here and there in the style of the course. Some have courses that seem to only exist in their University (Glamorgan offers an MA in Gothic Studies, for example)

Since you have no idea what you'd like to do, get hold of a prospectus for a Uni like Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh or Cardiff, and just browse the course offers. Don't look too much into the grades, just the types of course on offer and what they expect from you as a student (e.g. to do a history degree, is it preferable to have a background in History, or can you come in with no prior knowledge) -- once you have a rough idea of the field you'd like to go into -- whether it's Humanities, Sciences, Medicine, Engineering, or something else altogether -- you can start narrowing down Unis by looking on UCAS for the institutions which offer the course you want to do (whether that course is History of Medieval Art, or Applied Bioscience)

Good luck with your choices.

ReputationRep:
    My advice.
    Don't apply.
    You have NO idea what to do.. yet want to make your decision soon? :/ Just sounds like your going to university for the sake of it, when that's just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies
    I actually do want to go to university, I just find it difficult finding the right course to do, and I don't want to take another gap year trying to figure things out =/
    The only A-level i enjoyed was maths, but all the math courses I've looked into require further maths which i didn't do

If i had any idea as to what carrer i wanted to do I'd find this a lot easier haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krishandj)
    thanks for the replies
    I actually do want to go to university, I just find it difficult finding the right course to do, and I don't want to take another gap year trying to figure things out =/
    The only A-level i enjoyed was maths, but all the math courses I've looked into require further maths which i didn't do

If i had any idea as to what carrer i wanted to do I'd find this a lot easier haha
    Self teach FM this year? What about doing Maths with something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Prospectuses usually help. Admittedly, being on your gap year makes it hard to get hold of a hard-copy of a prospectus, but usually Uni websites have them in .pdf form. Most Unis offer a standard set of courses, with a few variations here and there in the style of the course. Some have courses that seem to only exist in their University (Glamorgan offers an MA in Gothic Studies, for example)
    How? I have hard copies of prospectuses from all the universities I've been looking at and it wasn't that hard to find them either; I just looked around the universities' sites and ordered a copy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    How? I have hard copies of prospectuses from all the universities I've been looking at and it wasn't that hard to find them either; I just looked around the universities' sites and ordered a copy.
    Having not done a gap year, I was assuming this was one of those "backpacking around Europe/Asia/the world" things which means you have no fixed abode and therefore you'll find it more difficult to get a copy of a prospectus mailed to you when one night you're in a hostel in Florence and within two days you may well be in Venice or Vienna. And the postal service out here isn't exactly fast...

Obviously, if your "gap year" is just a year out where you're working/doing sweet **** all, then of course you can get a copy of a prospectus. I just tend to have a romantic notion of a 'gap year' as a time to get away, travel, get to know yourself, generally escape Britain for a few months; rather than sit at home for 14 months, in the rain, watching re-runs of Jeremy Kyle. Oh well, sorry for the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i've been looking into courses that are combined with mathematics
    I've come across Financial maths but I'm not sure how much of this course is maths and how much is finance
    I also was wondering what kind of doors does this open after uni
    my a-level grades are A-maths and B-acounting - are these the right classes to go into financial maths??

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.