Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel so useless. I'm a graduate who's unemployed, despite having loads of experience. A load of the vile *****es with whom I went to school though now have jobs. I'm sick of it, and I ended up crying today at the desk while I was signing on. I've applied to loads of jobs but keep being messed around.

What can I do because I feel like such a failure?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to go into the Job Centre and scream in the reception 'AAAAAAAAAGH WHY WILL NO-ONE EMPLOY ME'.

ReputationRep:
    The economic climate is **** that's why. I think a lot of graduates are in the same boat, so you're not a failure. Guess all you can do is keep trying and apply to all the companies that you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by attiegina)
    I feel so useless. I'm a graduate who's unemployed, despite having loads of experience. A load of the vile *****es with whom I went to school though now have jobs. I'm sick of it, and I ended up crying today at the desk while I was signing on. I've applied to loads of jobs but keep being messed around.

You aren't a failure. I'll tell you why- because you haven't given up.

Your previous experience shows you have motivated yourself to find work in the past and have been successful.

You made the effort to to go the Job Centre despite, I imagine, feeling very low.

Your motivation to apply for jobs show you are putting a lot of effort into finding work.

It's okay to feel like this sometimes, it doesn't mean you have to give up or that you have failed. The problem starts when you believe you are a failure and you change your behaviour to match that you feel that way. In other words if you quit looking for a job, going to the job centre and whatever else you are doing to help yourself it will reinforce the thought that you are a failure. It can become a vicious circle.

All the evidence of the actions you are taking reinforce that you are not a failure.

Those who say they can, and those who say they can't are often right. It's all about how you percieve things.

You sound very resentful of other people whom you perceive to be doing better than you. How much have they done to provoke this thought about them ? You may be frustrated with your current situation but that does not mean that they are to blame. Besides, you don't know how well they are doing in other aspects of life or how happy they are in their current job. Even if they talk to you, are they likely to make themselves vulnerable by admitting their own shortcomings ?

You have shown strength to keep going so far. You have hit a rut, it doesn't mean you are unable to pull yourself out.

Luke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by attiegina)

You aren't a failure. I'll tell you why- because you haven't given up.

Your previous experience shows you have motivated yourself to find work in the past and have been successful.

You made the effort to to go the Job Centre despite, I imagine, feeling very low.

Your motivation to apply for jobs show you are making a lot of effort into finding work.

It's okay to feel like this sometimes, it doesn't mean you have to give up or that you have failed. The problem starts when you believe you are a failure and you change your behaviour to match that you feel that way. In other words if you quit looking for a job, going to the job centre and whatever else you are doing to help yourself it will reinforce the thought that you are a failure. It can become a vicious circle.

All the evidence of the actions you are taking reinforce that you are not a failure.

Those who say they can, and those who say they can't are often right. It's all about how you percieve things.

You sound very resentful of other people whom you perceive to be doing better than you. How much have they done to provoke this thought about them ? You may be frustrated with your current situation but that they are to blame. Besides, you don't know how well they are doing in other aspects of life or how happy they are in their current job. Even if they talk to you, are they likely to make themselves vulnerable by admitting their own shortcomings ?

You have shown strength to keep going so far. You have hit a rut, it doesn't mean you are unable to pull yourself out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.