Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoryJL)
    Ha ha.

Oh wow.
    Ok, tell me this:

You have a lipid, a lipid is made up of tryglyceride molecules. Right or wrong?

You have one glyceride molecule attached to 1-3 fatty acid chains.
    HOWEVER. In a phospholipid, you have TWO fatty acid chains attached to the glycerol molecule, and ONE phosphate group, hence MAKING IT A PHOSPOLIPID.

So tell me:

How can it make a cell membrane?

Spoiler:

The hydrophobic fatty acid chains attract/ are together on the inside of the membrane, however, the hydrophilic phosphate groups turn towards the outside of each membrane.

How did this form about from RANDOM elements?
    Can you go back and tell me how these elements actually came about themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdurrant7)
    Bump.
    This one is for you Alex.

You have an aminoacid, correct?

You haver the amino group and acid group, and the r that determines WHICH of the 20 amino acids it can possibly be.

So tell me, what is the probability of 1045 amino acids consisting of amino acid 3, 4, and 7, each going in that recurring order, and the last one which can't be fitted in the sequence being amino acid 20?

This is why i said, maths tells me evolution is ILLOGICAL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitamortis)
    The science of clouds will go well with the science of rocks as a joint honours degree.
    Tell me this:

If a protein consists of 100's or even 1000's of amino acids, to produce a globular protein, which can be enzymes. Tell me, why does the active site of the enzyme have to be so specific and so complex?

So random malformation of DNA created proteins/enzymes with such specific active site, that 'magically' enabled a substrate to latch on?

Tell me if you want info on heamoglobin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Asking a question beyond the reasonable scope of an online forum response that would otherwise demand potentially a dissertations worth of text and not receiving such a reply =/= 'disproving' a theory.
    Answer for me this:

How can alpha glucose, and beta glucose exist?

The answer is, that the OH group on alpha glucose is below the first carbon atom, whilst the OH group on beta glucose is ABOVE the first carbon atom.

So tell me this: can elements, magically become ' LIVING CELL ' because/ by lightning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitamortis)
    He is not just a science writer. He is an evolutionary biologist. He is more than qualified on the subject.
    He started off like you and i, students, presuming you were a student/are still one.

Explain to me,

how can DNA form to produce/ make such a complex structure. We humans cannot make a single cell , YET.
    We expect to believe that:
    a sugar, phosphate, and organic bas formed just like that to make a nucleotide polymer?

These suddenly found their base pairs, and produce DNA, which coiled into a double helix?

Try making a living cell like this. Can humans put chemicals, mix them up, apply all sorts of force and pressure to even produce a cell?
    a simple non complex LIVING cell?

I thought evolution had proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    There is no alternative theory that is based on science.
    Science can change. Evolution has long since been open to rapid debate. Here is a question for you,

How are we as organisms, functioning? How on earth can complex enzymes, I.e proteins with a very complex structure suddenly coil to form a comparatively small active site?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    Science can change. Evolution has long since been open to rapid debate. Here is a question for you,

How are we as organisms, functioning? How on earth can complex enzymes, I.e proteins with a very complex structure suddenly coil to form a comparatively small active site?
    I see you're still just incessantly asking 'how' instead of offering evidence as to why these things are not possible.

For the millionth time, asking 'how' =/= disproving.

ReputationRep:
    I see you're still just incessantly asking 'how' instead of offering evidence as to why these things are not possible.

For the millionth time, asking 'how' =/= disproving.
    Change my ' How ' to , it cannot be that... and " unless you can provide evidence this can occour"

ReputationRep:
    Change my ' How ' to , it cannot be that... and " unless you can provide evidence this can occour"
    Not how disproving a theory works, bro.

ReputationRep:
    Not how disproving a theory works, bro.
    What you talking about bro? He's a sixthformer. Teenagers know EVERYTHING remember?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    What you talking about bro? He's a sixthformer. Teenagers know EVERYTHING remember?
    I don't know much of what there is to know.
    But , i know one thing, you got amazing UKCAT results, may i have some tips please?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much of what there is to know.
    But , i know one thing, you got amazing UKCAT results, may i have some tips please?
    Haha. Wasn't expecting that.

Yeah sure, drop me a PM and I'll give some advice when I get back from football training.

ReputationRep:

I have no idea, but I am not a scientist. Asking that question is neither proving, nor disproving evolution. For evolution to be proved false you are going to have to come up with a scientific theory that is more scientifically sound that evolution.

ReputationRep:

Knowledge derived from a scientific approach can change, certainly. That is the whole point of science.

However your increasingly irritating questions are in no way a rebuttal of the theory of evolution, which is accepted by all competent scientists. To rebut the theory you will need to propose a theory of your own, backed up by observeable, repeatable and perr-reviewed evidence, and I haven't seen you do that in any of your posts so far. Can we expect to see this startling new theory soon?

ReputationRep:
    He started off like you and i, students, presuming you were a student/are still one.

Explain to me,

how can DNA form to produce/ make such a complex structure. We humans cannot make a single cell , YET.
    a sugar, phosphate, and organic bas formed just like that to make a nucleotide polymer?

These suddenly found their base pairs, and produce DNA, which coiled into a double helix?

Try making a living cell like this. Can humans put chemicals, mix them up, apply all sorts of force and pressure to even produce a cell?

:facepalm: At first I was impressed by your earnestness, but now it's becoming egregious that you have no interest in learning anything real about evolution and are just trying to convince yourself.

LOOK.
    We are students between 15-21 (at least the majority), and therefore we are not going to provide you with vague one-liners on subjects that scientists write entire peer-reviewed papers on, and that would require multiple volumes of books to explain in their entirety.

ReputationRep:

Explain to me,

Your argument here: "humans can't do it, therefore it never happened."

ReputationRep:
    Ok, tell me this:

HOWEVER. In a phospholipid, you have TWO fatty acid chains attached to the glycerol molecule, and ONE phosphate group, hence MAKING IT A PHOSPOLIPID.

So tell me:

Spoiler:

The hydrophobic fatty acid chains attract/ are together on the inside of the membrane, however, the hydrophilic phosphate groups turn towards the outside of each membrane.

Hmm to answer how the elements came about themselfs, its pretty simple. It came from stars. Let me explain
    Back when the big bang occured and stars started forming, we all know stars start of using their hydrogen supplies.
    But some may ask...well why doesnt the star just blow up as its practicially a gas? Well that could be true...other than the fact that space is a vaccums and oxygen does not exist on stars, therefore there is no combustion (atleast not to my knowledge)
    Now the sun fuses the hydrogen atoms together (nuclear fusion, from what I know we havn't been able to mimic the same nuclear fusion the sun does...if we did could possibly be screwed due to mass collapsing on itself, all be screwed quite literially...but that's physics and i hate physics) and creates a He atom. Once all the hydrogen atoms are all used up by the star the star starts fusing the He atoms together...and the process continues untill Fe (iron) is made...from which the star doesnt/cant fuse anymore and explodes. The energy from this explosion [what ever its scientific name is, someone remind me i have forgotten ] fuses the Fe atoms into newer elements which the star would not have been able to do.

Now to answer to your membrane question well its complicated chemistry if you ask for it step by step (I don't know the process myself) but once the phospholipids are formed they simply join together due to their polarity and form a membrane. ( I think that's about right... I hope seeing the brutality of TSR wen one even questions something, [phospholipids form a bilayer in the presence of water] )

Most likely membranes were formed first before life was formed and the membranes trapped a few building blocks of life which may have formed amino acids, proteins then RNA .... but that's the study of abiogenesis not evolution. Evolution kicks into place after there is life.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, tell me this:

So tell me:

Spoiler:

Phospholipids form spontaneous bilayers. Their creation is not especially chemically taxing.

ReputationRep:
    Sixthformer seems to be mistaking their ignorance for insight.

It seems that on this page alone we have established that Sixthformer knows nothing about natural self-assembly, which is a common occurance even amongst non-living matter, nor do they know about that fact that probilities are contextual, or about the RNA world, or about synthetic biology or about the ubiquitousness of chirality and general isomerism within the non-living as well as the living world.

Also, most of these questions relate to the origins of life and not the origin of species. Evolutionary theory only deals with the latter.

Ergo, they should go away and do some reading.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.