Turn on thread page Beta

How do you regard quiet/not talkative people? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I've always wondered this, since i'm a really quiet person. What do you think when you see a constantly uncommunicative person? (say at college, uni, or in your flat). Let's say that person is very kept to themselves, nice enough to say hi, not a stuck-up but doesn't make much noise and rarely initiates social discussions. Would you feel pity for them, think they're 'boring' and sad if they don't club or drink, or think they have a lot to say and share and therefore might think they're interesting? Could it even be a turn on?

There's probably already threads about this, but yeah whatever.
    Thanks

(Original post by [Shadowplay])
    Could it even be a turn on?
    You wish.

As for me, I think nothing of them tbh. I'm just indifferent of their presence. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    If someone is quieter than everyone else, I'm more inclined to go up and talk to them rather than really loud people. So guess, that's a positive?

ReputationRep:
    If everyone was the same life would be boring!
    There are quiet people, loud people, rude people, pig headed people may i go on.........

ReputationRep:
    I think "hmm there's a quiet/not that social person". I would likely attempt to engage in conversation a few times, I'd realise they didn't seem to be the talkative type and so leave em too it. Just stick to being civil, saying hi etc.

ReputationRep:
    I, especially if I'm drunk, am more inclined to talk to them, as past experience has taught me that I'll generally get on with them far better than the more sociable/loud, 'interesting' people - who tend to all be the ******* same.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. There are quiet people who you can tell are still trying to talk and make an effort, but then you get others who just don't give anything back when you try to talk to them, and they're frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like that but not quite to that extent.

And i wouldn't expect people to find that a turn on or make you interesting, why would they?

ReputationRep:
    quiet as in cant-hold-a-conversation is a big no-no. it's so horrible trying to talk to someone who doesnt/cant talk back... ugh it's just the worst thing.

quiet as in avoiding social situations, again no. it comes across as boring.

if a person is just quiet, not very outgoing or a bit shy... then im fine with that. as long as they open up after a while or act differently one-to-one.

ReputationRep:
    As many others have said, there are different types of quiet.
    I know some people who keep themselves to themselves, but are genuinely nice people who just happen to not be all that outgoing.
    However, I also know some people who almost come across as if they think they're superior to the other people in the social situation, and so as a mark of this are quiet in a really stupid way, looking down their noses at everyone else.

Generally, until you know someone you can't have too strong an opinion of them. So I'd argue that whether you're a decent person or not will determine what people think of you - how loud or quiet isn't really such a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    I'd make more of an effort to start a conversation with somebody quiet just to make sure they don't feel excluded from the group amongst other big characters. I don't think that somebody being quiet automatically makes them antisocial, some people are just like that - but extremely quiet/unresponsive people can be equally annoying in comparison to loud/attention seeking people.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I'm friendly and pleasant towards everyone but if someone isn't making any effort to add something to the conversation and I'm stood there having to do 90% of the work I'm less likely to make an effort with them next time.

Not drinking/clubbing is a separate issue. I know plenty of people that don't drink who are complete chatter boxes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I'm friendly and pleasant towards everyone but if someone isn't making any effort to add something to the conversation and I'm stood there having to do 90% of the work I'm less likely to make an effort with them next time.

Not drinking/clubbing is a separate issue. I know plenty of people that don't drink who are complete chatter boxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    quiet as in cant-hold-a-conversation is a big no-no. it's so horrible trying to talk to someone who doesnt/cant talk back... ugh it's just the worst thing.

quiet as in avoiding social situations, again no. it comes across as boring.

if a person is just quiet, not very outgoing or a bit shy... then im fine with that. as long as they open up after a while or act differently one-to-one.
    This.
    Especially when you're trying hard to make some sort of conversation happen and they are just completely ignoring you/ not making an effort.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sort of depends if they're a John Nash type quiet but mysteriously interesting person, or a quiet, hateful person who's indifferent to your life.

ReputationRep:
    im like that too. but after a while i become more comfortable with people

ReputationRep:
    You get the shy people who are really timid and scared, then you get the people who just aren't loud but are still oll korrect. People like the latter more than the former. I think generally people find the timid people frustrating and weird.

Normal quiet people are generally cool.

ReputationRep:
    IMO

Shy = Boring....generally

ReputationRep:
    I know a boy exactly like this that goes to my sixth form (excluding the turn on bit). Im not going to lie I do feel sorry for him cos he is always on his own, but any time I try and talk to him he just replies bluntly not trying to create a conversation at all.

But after a year of it I just feel like he enjoys being by himself revising 24/7

ReputationRep:
    I'm ok with shy people, I just leave them alone usually but really want to talk to them myself but i'm quiet myself so it's difficult. I suppose some people just need to feel like they can join in. It's not right to call them boring just because they aren't loud, noone is boring really. I don't talk much in college but i've made a habit of it really so I suppose noone knows me really. It takes time for some people to get used to it as well so give them time I suppose. Sometimes someone may suddenly be talking to someone quiet who's perhaps in the own little world lol and not notice, but people sometimes think they're ignoring them.

Being shy isn't all that bad though, we don't know why they aren't as confident as others. I suppose you can be more disciplined.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.