Turn on thread page Beta

How do you regard quiet/not talkative people? watch

ReputationRep:
    I like quiet people. At parties I always make sure I involve the quiet people in the conversation, as usually they have lots to say but just don't have the confidence to put their views forward. One of my quiet friends is absolutely hilarious actually. When he does talk he always comes out with epic one liners that has everyone laughing their heads off.

ReputationRep:
    Being a quiet person myself, I would want to go up and talk to them but then find it hard to do so. But if I get to know someone then I can be talkative...I can never talk to someone first usually because I'm too scared. I just have to get to know people. So try and talk to a quiet person and you never know what you will find.

ReputationRep:
    You will regret it one day...

ReputationRep:
    well it depends really. I am naturally quiet myself normally but i am super not shy. In a room of people i'm just happy to listen to the general noise and go into my own dream world. As for others, well.. if someone is quiet i'd often wonder why, then that 'could' lead to me saying a few words to them and see where it goes. Generally speaking, i get along with quiet reserved people more than loud, constantly in my face people.

ReputationRep:
    I'd think they may be boring and wonder why they don't want to chat to others more. But then the quiet, introverted people are sometimes the most interesting, though harder to 'dig' into. I usually say hi a few times so they know who I am and then if they want to chat more one day they know I won't scare them off.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be painfully shy, and still am to a certain extent in large groups. I think people mistook this shyness for arrogance, when this was NOT the case - most of the time i felt inferior rather then superior and felt too shy to say much. Now I'm fine, and am a bit too much of a loudmouth/chatterbox but will ALWAYS make an effort with the shy ones, as I know how it feels myself.

ReputationRep:
    Friend-wise it's not the type of person I look for. I like people that are easy to talk to and have similar interests to me.. or similar personalities. I'm not the loudest person about, but I can make conversation and go out regularly, probably the average-joe student. I do have a friend who was very quiet at first, but he's opened up to us and talks a LOT more than he used to. It's just hard to make friends with people that barely talk, unless you are a very talkative person that can keep a convo going almost solo, I find it hard to talk to someone if they don't talk back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Social retardation.
    Eurgh.
    Not attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I think they are uncomfortable and unhappy, unless;
    when I talk to them they are friendly
    They answer questions in class

ReputationRep:
    Being quite a quiet person I guess I can understand people being shy. Not too sure about the turn on thing but I would happily talk to them and if they think I'm disrupting their peace or anything I wouldn't mind shutting up. Maybe some quiet people are just misunderstood about being antisocial. I know somebody who is just painfully shy but when I got to know her really well she was even told off in class for being too noisy!!

ReputationRep:
    I just assume they're shy - if they also don't have a social life then I probably wouldn't get on with them. But if they do have a social life and they're just quiet, then fair enough they're just quiet.
    As for a turn on? Absolutely not (for me) I prefer confident, outgoing people.

ReputationRep:
    I am a quiet person, until you get to know me that is. Then I don't normally shut up. I would say from personal experience at my university, people tend not to engage in much conversation with you if you're quiet. I find the complete opposite in my part time job. I would tend to say people at university form cliques. I've found this from day one, and am now in my final year (4 year course) and I would say I've never formed any friendships with any of them. Always felt excluded so I prefer going to work for social interaction, but you may find it different.

ReputationRep:
    Like all traits, it depends on the person. Some hate it and are confused and annoyed by it, some find it intriguing, yet also a bit confusing. Basically I find everyone finds me confusing, but act on it in different ways. Theres a guy who I think likes me at a gym, he works there and is ultra muscley and confident and is used to always having confident skimpy dressed hot girls coming in to talk to. I could tell he was surprised when I first walked in due to my nerves and covered up clothes and so its an intrigue thing. I'm sure though if thats all you're used to dealing with (extremely shy unresponsive people) it would get annoying and they would be more turned on by confidence and outgoing-ness.

ReputationRep:
    Loooseseeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrsssss ssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    Social retardation.
    Eurgh.
    Not attractive.
    I'd hardly call being quiet 'Social retardation'. There's social ineptness, then there's social ineptness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    Social retardation.
    Eurgh.
    Not attractive.
    Social retards are better than snooty *****es. In other words, them > you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, you can be quiet and cooly confident or quiet and shy... some people love to let the world know who they are... it can be annoying, especially if who they are is not 'all that'. Sometimes you'd prefer somebody more humble and down to earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the writer)
    then why the **** are you trying to talk them if itsobvious they have no interest in you?
    Out of politeness; some quiet people are quiet because of shyness that makes it hard for them to initiate conversation. Those people might be grateful for someone to start talking to them. You don't know whether a person really wants to talk to you or not until you try. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So far out of my comprehension I just can't understand them. I got kicked out of the 'Quiet Room' yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the writer)
    you're the annoying ones, you have no right to be annoyed by us.

isn't it obvious from the fact we aren't saying anything back that we don't want to talk to you? just go away?
    Didn't say they are annoying.

But if someone's not talking when you are making an effort, it comes across as rude and snobbish.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.