Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you regard quiet/not talkative people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I probably make more of an effort to talk to them...
    But if throughout the conversation they were still ridiculously quiet i'd move on and assume they were just tedious people.

ReputationRep:
    At least when you're quiet nobody tells you to shut up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the writer)
    ok but here's the thing, how WOULDn't it come across as rude and snobbish? to straight up say, politely, 'i have no interest in ever conversing with you'. is that ok? is it better than saying nothing or just saying leave me alone etc? what do you want?
    It doesn't take much to have a conversation.
    And how would you know you wouldn't want to converse with them if you haven't tried?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quiet myself but I don't mind people coming up and talking to me, although it does often catch you off guard so I talk like an idiot at first. I do see where people are coming from when they say some quiet people appear up themselves. I'd like to think I don't appear that way but I probably do and that likely puts some people off.

BTW, just because we are quiet doesn't mean we don't hold opinions of other people, some of us "losers" may find your loudness as annoying as you find our quietness (that's not a word is it).

ReputationRep:
    but its not your place to be "frustrated" or "annoyed"... just leave us alone, get the message, we don't want your friendship, we are not involving ourselves with you or attempting to affect your lives in anyway?

also the whole 'feeling sorry' thing is just plain retarded. you feel sorry for people having different priorities in life than you? for wanting different things out of life? for doing what they want? i feel sorry for you for being so blind/naive/assumptive.
    You have a humongous chip on your shoulder. Maybe people should just totally ignore each other in case someone gets offended at the audacity of anyone who'd dare try to initiate polite conversation with them. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    because we don't like conversing with ANYONE... its just not one of our things in life...

and it also doesn't take much for you to understand that? why should we be the ones to bow down to your way of life? it doesn't take much to NOT have a conversation either...
    Well I like conversing with people. If someone doesn't want to talk because they are shy I try to make more of an effort because shy people tend to have less friends.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quiettttttttttttt

And i dislike really loud people... :/

ReputationRep:
    People think you're snobbish, because you're quiet?

I will talk to anyone that decides they would like to talk to me, but it's likely that I'm not going to go out of my way to talk to you. I just prefer to keep myself to myself.

ReputationRep:
    I like speaking to quiet/shy people. Its much easier and comforting cause theyre less likely to be *****y. Lol
    This is coming from a confident person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [Shadowplay])
    Hey
    I've always wondered this, since i'm a really quiet person. What do you think when you see a constantly uncommunicative person? (say at college, uni, or in your flat). Let's say that person is very kept to themselves, nice enough to say hi, not a stuck-up but doesn't make much noise and rarely initiates social discussions. Would you feel pity for them, think they're 'boring' and sad if they don't club or drink, or think they have a lot to say and share and therefore might think they're interesting? Could it even be a turn on?

There's probably already threads about this, but yeah whatever.
    Thanks
    Depends on the person - in general I don't find them boring and sometimes a quiet person is so much better company than an extreme extrovert who HAS to be the noisy life and soul of everything all the time - they can just give you a headache!! It really does depend on the individual - there are people who deliberately use their quietness to intimidate others (passive aggressives) and people who are quiet simply because they are shy, and those who are quiet because they are reflective or introverted people but who will voice their thoughts when they are ready. If I like the look of a person it doesn't matter to me whether they are quiet or not, I will make an effort to get to know them. For me quiet doesn't equal 'unapproachable'. Hope that makes sense.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I find quiet guys kinda hot, I like the mystery. Quiet confidence though - as if he doesn't feel the need to prove anything, not like some quivering wreck in the corner.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.